Swansea v LFC - Sat 1st October - KO: 12:30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby killerp » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:35 am

Swansea deserved better than to lose to a dodgy penalty. They took the game to us and reminded our players to take all opposition seriously.

We were on course for another Burnley in the first half....  :glare:
killerp

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:25 pm

killerp » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:35 am wrote:Swansea deserved better than to lose to a dodgy penalty. They took the game to us and reminded our players to take all opposition seriously.

I think we need to be realistic, no team breezes through an entire league campaign brushing everyone aside, not in this country anyway, every championship winning side from 1888 onwards has had (on occasion) to ride their luck and dig out a result and that's what we did yesterday.
As others have mentioned 12 months ago we would have 100% lost that game, we were away from home and at a place that is a bit of a bogey ground for us, we went a goal down, passes weren't sticking, loose balls seemed to be falling for their players, our keeper was flapping at crosses, they were creating chances and we lost a player early through injury. To say things weren't going our way would be a bit of an understatement.
To top it all off Swansea were especially up for it because their managers job was on the line yet the players didn't throw the towel in mentally.
Our players learned an important lesson yesterday, just because you are not playing well and things are going against you doesn't mean you can't still win the game. I think yesterday was a good illustration of what Klopp has been trying to instil into our players, you can play poorly, Lady Luck can kick you in the nuts but if you show heart, desire and determination you can still come out on top.
That battling win probably did more for this group of players than a comfortable 4-0 victory, this team knows that on its day it can brush anyone aside but now it knows that it can dig out results in difficult circumstances too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Well said mate.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:57 am

Yes very well said Yakka
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:45 am

Klopp looked like he was preparing  to swing a broadsword around the dressing room when the first half ended, It reminded me of the grimace Taggart used to wear on his face when the Mancs were losing ! I think you can give full credit to the manager for the conviction shown by those  who were fortunate to return with limbs still intact for that second half performance. I suppose putting the fear of God into your team is a useful knack to have, and possessing the tactical acumen to completely alter the outcome of a game we were so clearly second best in comes in handy too ! 

2 points off the top before going into these damned inconvenient International breaks is brilliant, just hope we can avoid injuries before we fuck the Mancs at our yard.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 pm

killerp » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:35 am wrote:Swansea deserved better than to lose to a dodgy penalty. They took the game to us and reminded our players to take all opposition seriously.

Dodgy? It was clear cut.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Looks like Swansea have sacked their manager and installed that Bob Bradley who used to manage the US national team.
Very harsh that, Swansea put up a good fight against both us and City.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Think their doing him a favour Yakka. He looked close to a heart attack on Saturday. Hopefully his payoff will provide him with a pension !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:26 pm

devaney » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:59 pm wrote:Think their doing him a favour Yakka. He looked close to a heart attack on Saturday. Hopefully his payoff will provide him with a pension !!

Swansea's last 5 fixtures have been Leicester, Southampton, Chelsea, City and then us last Saturday, not sure what the board was expecting Guidolin to do there, that's a tough run by anyone's standards and they put up a good fight. They sold the influential Williams and Ayew in the summer as well.
Ironically this new fella coming in has a good run of fixtures now.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby algymoon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:41 pm

A very luck win! however the team's defence is still very shaky and weak, the same can be said about the midfield, Wijnaldum is very average and light-weight, Klopp better change his first team selection it is totally wrong, Stewart, Can, Lucas are all much better than £25M Wijnaldum!. Even the goal keeping department is still zero.. Both present keepers are useless!, I really don't understand nut case Klopp who has paid too much attention on attack matter, and Not so much on the defence and goalkeeping!

It is all early days the team's real position will be more clearier in December! . The real team that have all the ticks is Spurs, they have strong defence and midfield lines... and this is what really counts to win trophies, but not fancy light-weight attcks as Klopp belief in!!!
algymoon

Postby only me » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:59 pm

algymoon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:41 pm wrote:A very luck win! however the team's defence is still very shaky and weak, the same can be said about the midfield, Wijnaldum is very average and light-weight, Klopp better change his first team selection it is totally wrong, Stewart, Can, Lucas are all much better than £25M Wijnaldum!. Even the goal keeping department is still zero.. Both present keepers are useless!, I really don't understand nut case Klopp who has paid too much attention on attack matter, and Not so much on the defence and goalkeeping!

It is all early days the team's real position will be more clearier in December! . The real team that have all the ticks is Spurs, they have strong defence and midfield lines... and this is what really counts to win trophies, but not fancy light-weight attcks as Klopp belief in!!!

Pathetic post mate...the least you could is just not write anything...Can't argue with results and performance.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:54 am

In fairness a couple of my pals are also asking how Karius is better than Mignolet.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:53 am

Reg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:54 am wrote:In fairness a couple of my pals are also asking how Karius is better than Mignolet.

Karius will no doubt improve but I must admit Im hoping Mingolet is going to get the nod for the United game myself.
United always give Fellaini a run out against us (because they think defending crosses is our Achilles Heel) and tbh I don't fancy our chances of keeping a clean sheet if he gets anywhere near Karius.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Reg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:54 am wrote:In fairness a couple of my pals are also asking how Karius is better than Mignolet.

New keepers are almost always dodgy looking when they first arrive. I remember not thinking much of Reina after his first season with us and De Gea looked like a waste of money 6 months into his Man Utd career. If you're going to give a player in any position a free pass in his first season it's going to be a keeper coming from abroad. Once he develops an understanding with his team maters and a better appreciation of the opposition teams we'll find out how good he is.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:13 pm

only me » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:59 pm wrote:
algymoon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:41 pm wrote:A very luck win! however the team's defence is still very shaky and weak, the same can be said about the midfield, Wijnaldum is very average and light-weight, Klopp better change his first team selection it is totally wrong, Stewart, Can, Lucas are all much better than £25M Wijnaldum!. Even the goal keeping department is still zero.. Both present keepers are useless!, I really don't understand nut case Klopp who has paid too much attention on attack matter, and Not so much on the defence and goalkeeping!

Pathetic post mate...the least you could is just not write anything...Can't argue with results and performance.

Mate, having watched the match live and then (more sober) the full replay two days later I at least agree with the first four words of Algy's post.

It was a very lucky win. Twice Swansea failed to take advantage of opportunities that were harder to miss rather than score from.

We could easily have dropped points in this game.

Not that I'm complaining, but after a dire first half we did just enough with a large slice of luck to win it.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games