7 th
5%
8 th
No votes
Lower than 8 th
3%

Total votes : 66

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Completely disagree and have never judged a player on form.

Never will.

Ability is what a player should be judged on. Form is temporary.

To say he's the best striker in the country is extremely far fetched, first he'd have to be the best at the club he's playing at and if anyone is going to tell me he's better than Suarez...

Then I'll gladly give you loads of tips on how to get started playing golf :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Hustler 2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Stu + Benny should get a hotel room :)
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:29 pm

I underestimated you...

You're dead funny.

:)
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 pm wrote:Completely disagree and have never judged a player on form.

Never will.

To say he's the best striker in the country is extremely far fetched, first he'd have to be the best at the club he's playing at and if anyone is going to tell me he's better than Suarez...

danny has tons of ability, he`s quick, skillful, has a great touch, can go past players, has a tremendous shot (with little backlift) and scores goals.
this lad is not a flash in the pan, when he was at city he was the most exciting young prospect in british football, he was being spoken about in the same way as wayne rooney was. the only question marks were about his mentality not his ability.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 pm wrote:Completely disagree and have never judged a player on form.

Never will.

danny has tons of ability, he`s quick, skillful, has a great touch, can go past players, has a tremendous shot (with little backlift) and scores goals.
this lad is not a flash in the pan, when he was at city he was the most exciting young prospect in british football, he was being spoken about in the same way as wayne rooney was. the only question marks were about his mentality not his ability.

All amounts to the same thing though doesn't it. I wouldn't say he's great at any of the things you mentioned. For me Suarez has a "great touch"... not Sturridge.

Also he lacks vision and decision making. He's often slow to decide what he wants to do with the ball.

As I said, he's a decent player. Like Andy Cole (not quite as good). He'll never be a world beater, but would do well in a decent side.

To compare him to Rooney though is plain silly. Rooney was two or three levels above. Rooney is a world class player, Sturridge never will be.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:50 am

Good posts Yakka. Talking of his attributes, he also is very good at holding the ball up and making in stick he has good upper body strength something both Coutinho and Aspas lack.

People get a bit carried away and start thinking you need a team full of galacticos to win titles and what not - the skanks disproved this last year.

Sturridge is a good player and an asset to this team.
Last edited by Kenny Kan on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:13 am

OK back to where we'll finish this season. I believe we'll finish 6th this season. Top 3 are reserved for Chelsea MC and manure. 4th and 5th will be for Arsenal and Spurs. 6th will be for Liverpool. Those 5 sides have a deep squad and can spend more than our stingy owners. I am not happy with 6th but if we can get more than 70 points and a better goal difference compare to last season then that's progress and I expect Liverpool to finish 4th or 5th the following season.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 am

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 pm wrote:

Never will.

All amounts to the same thing though doesn't it. I wouldn't say he's great at any of the things you mentioned. For me Suarez has a "great touch"... not Sturridge.

Also he lacks vision and decision making. He's often slow to decide what he wants to do with the ball.

As I said, he's a decent player. Like Andy Cole (not quite as good). He'll never be a world beater, but would do well in a decent side.

To compare him to Rooney though is plain silly. Rooney was two or three levels above. Rooney is a world class player, Sturridge never will be.
Not sure if he will be or not, but no one can know for sure what he will become. We can all have an opinion on what he will come, I think he'll be a very good player - potentially world class. Will he be the type that Barcelona and Madrid attract - No.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 am

I think the term "World Class" is very subjective in itself - for me I think it's possibly a term you could use to describe the top 10 possibly 20 players in the world. I can't see Sturridge ever being in the top 10 or 20 in the world but he is showing the making of a very good quality striker. His first job is to score goals - doing that pretty we , his teamwork play seems to be improving and his attitude is now excellent. Bit worried about his injury record so far which could halt his progress. But it's not an understatement to say we are top because of him
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 am

World class is overused nowadays. It should be the top 2 players in that position.

Messi, Ronaldo, Ribery are world class Rooney is not

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:01 am

LFC1990 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:35 am wrote:World class is overused nowadays. It should be the top 2 players in that position.

What about Dean Ashton when he was playing?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:21 am

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 am wrote:I think the term "World Class" is very subjective in itself - for me I think it's possibly a term you could use to describe the top 10 possibly 20 players in the world. I can't see Sturridge ever being in the top 10 or 20 in the world but he is showing the making of a very good quality striker. His first job is to score goals - doing that pretty we , his teamwork play seems to be improving and his attitude is now excellent. Bit worried about his injury record so far which could halt his progress. But it's not an understatement to say we are top because of him

And the fact we've played three toothless sides so far.

If we're saying we're top because of him after twenty games, then I may change my mind...

But we both know that isn't going to happen.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:24 am

LFC1990 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 am wrote:World class is overused nowadays. It should be the top 2 players in that position.

Franck Ribery is in no way world class. Not even close and he's certainly not in Rooney's class.

I don't get why people who support Liverpool can't accept that just because someone used to play for Everton and now plays for United they can't bring themselves to rate that player.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 am

LOL

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:34 am

Never will.

Danny like the vast majority of strikers is very selfish. Is that a real problem? Should he have passed the ball instead of scoring when it looked almost impossible against Villa? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl1iaKxU-vU

I totally agree that some of his decision making is questionable but exactly the same can be said about Suarez and let's face it they don't come much more selfish than Luis. Given their goal scoring record (especially Danny's) I'll save my concerns for another day. No footballer is perfect. They all make mistakes. Your criticism of Johnson was harsh. Your analysis of Sturridge is downright unreasonable but we are all entitled to an opinion......I suppose  :grinning:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext