Our we missing harry? - Our missing man

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi all,

Do you think Liverpool are missing Harry Kewell?

I think we are missing him a heck of a lot!

Before you dismiss this as a knee jerk to the Bolton game, take time to think about it. Harry Kewell payed very well for us last year, our most improved player in my opinion. Considering we brought in Aurelio and Mark Gonzalez to compete with Harry you will instinctively say no, we have 3 players with Harry who can all play there.

A lot of people on here don't like Kewell. He didn't perform for us for the first two years and only last year did we see what we paid for. So there is a genuine reason for some of the resentment towards Harry but I think he is a intergeral part of our team. We all rave about our Momo, Carra and Gerrard but Mr Kewell did a very good job for us last year.

"Speedy" Gonzalez came to the club this year with a great wave of excitement, unjustly in my opinion. I had seem him play but some in here where making him out to be a world beater, maybe he one day will be but so far he has been an average player since I first clapped eyes on him, here and in La Liga. At the end of last year people where making out it was a given he will be No. 1 left mid. He won't. Aurelio was also brought in but is a LWB adapting to be a LB or LM depending on where Rafa wants him.

With Kewell out injured , Rafa started Aurelio and Mark at LM at the start of the season and they have not really impressed if we are being honest, I know Mark has got two goals but aint done much else. The team balance was not right, our defence has been left looking shaky and the midfield is not as strong as it was last year when they have played there.

I think Rafa has noticed this and now we are seeing our best player Steven Gerrard being played on the left, as he can play ok whatever the position, but you are asking a lot playing him there, and he is much more effective on the right. He is a great player Gerrard but putting him on the left is making him a good player.

In short, Kewell being injured is effecting us in a big way, our midfield quartet was the best in the Prem last year. Kewell was very good at tracking back, keeping the ball, excellent passing and we had the balance just right. With Aurelio and Sppedy they are much more attacking, they are faster and more direct than Harry but they are bringing a lot of negatives to the team, and leave big holes in our  two sets of four.

Now before you dismiss it out of hand let me hit you with a few stats.

- Last year Harry Kewell was out injured until 05th November 2006. While he was out our league record was:

Out of  9 games played: 3 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses - the 3 wins were all at home ( Sunderland, B'burn, W'Ham).

- Kewell played his 1st game of the season on the 5th Nov against Villa, and played in the team for the next 12 games on the bounce. Our record breaking run has started the game before. His record in the 12 games played was:

10 wins  -  1 draw  - 1 defeat.

- Harry was injured during the 1 - 0 loss to Utd and then missed  the next 2 games a draw, and a loss.

- Harry started 27 times for Liverpool last year during our most consistent season in the Premiership.

- Rafa has always stated he knows how valuable a player like Harry is.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:45 pm

I think you are right, a fit and in form Kewell will always benifit our team. Question is, when Harry does play again what are we going to do with Gerrard. Drop Momo and play him where he should be playing or drop Pennant and waste Stevie on the right wing.?
Rush

Postby Rafa D » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:46 pm

20+ GOALS from Stevie on the right is not a waste in my opinion our midfield four last year would be my first choice.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:49 pm

In Rafas eyes its a hard choice because we have so many talanted players fighting for positions but i would love to see Harry back in the team when he is fit again. :)
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:58 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:20+ GOALS from Stevie on the right is not a waste in my opinion our midfield four last year would be my first choice.

He didn,t score his 20 + goals by holding his position as right winger. His goals came mostly from him moving into a midfield position, where, as we all know, Stevie is most comfortable.
Rush

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:04 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Hi all,

Before you dismiss this as a knee jerk to the Bolton game, take time to think about it. Harry Kewell payed very well for us last year, our most improved player in my opinion. Considering we brought in Aurelio and Mark Gonzalez to compete with Harry you will instinctively say no, we have 3 players with Harry who can all play there.

A lot of people on here don't like Kewell. He didn't perform for us for the first two years and only last year did we see what we paid for. So there is a genuine reason for some of the resentment towards Harry but I think he is a intergeral part of our team. We all rave about our Momo, Carra and Gerrard but Mr Kewell did a very good job for us last year.

"Speedy" Gonzalez came to the club this year with a great wave of excitement, unjustly in my opinion. I had seem him play but some in here where making him out to be a world beater, maybe he one day will be but so far he has been an average player since I first clapped eyes on him, here and in La Liga. At the end of last year people where making out it was a given he will be No. 1 left mid. He won't. Aurelio was also brought in but is a LWB adapting to be a LB or LM depending on where Rafa wants him.

With Kewell out injured , Rafa started Aurelio and Mark at LM at the start of the season and they have not really impressed if we are being honest, I know Mark has got two goals but aint done much else. The team balance was not right, our defence has been left looking shaky and the midfield is not as strong as it was last year when they have played there.

I think Rafa has noticed this and now we are seeing our best player Steven Gerrard being played on the left, as he can play ok whatever the position, but you are asking a lot playing him there, and he is much more effective on the right. He is a great player Gerrard but putting him on the left is making him a good player.

In short, Kewell being injured is effecting us in a big way, our midfield quartet was the best in the Prem last year. Kewell was very good at tracking back, keeping the ball, excellent passing and we had the balance just right. With Aurelio and Sppedy they are much more attacking, they are faster and more direct than Harry but they are bringing a lot of negatives to the team, and leave big holes in our  two sets of four.

- Last year Harry Kewell was out injured until 05th November 2006. While he was out our league record was:

Out of  9 games played: 3 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses - the 3 wins were all at home ( Sunderland, B'burn, W'Ham).

- Kewell played his 1st game of the season on the 5th Nov against Villa, and played in the team for the next 12 games on the bounce. Our record breaking run has started the game before. His record in the 12 games played was:

- Harry was injured during the 1 - 0 loss to Utd and then missed  the next 2 games a draw, and a loss.

- Harry started 27 times for Liverpool last year during our most consistent season in the Premiership.

You've lost it Doddy lad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MaccaLFC » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:08 pm

Kewell's quality when he wants to be, of course we miss him.
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby CousinIT » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:35 pm

To sum this up,NO. If there is one player we don't need right now it's Harry Kewell. The way we are playing right now would not suit Harry. He would not change the corse of a match and he would be like playing with only 10 men.

Harry is the sort of player you play when you're doing well and the team has confidence. He isn't good enough to change a match on his own.
You'll Never Walk Alone

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
7 FA Cups
7 League Cups
CousinIT

Postby Rafa D » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:45 pm

However my statistics prove otherwise.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:46 pm

The fact is Gonzo and Aurelio have both failed to live up to the hype and Rafa is now forced to farm Gerrard out to the left
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:02 pm

i think kewell is underrated by everyone except by the one man who matters - rafa benitez

i suggest some of u really take more notice of rafa's actions and statements regarding harry before giving your 2cents worth
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Hi all,

Good post Rafa-Dodd. Kewell has obviously been missed ,as he is a quality player ,who can make telling passes ,doesnt lose the ball much ,and can put in a decent cross. He also scores the odd goal as well.

If he can get himself fit and get his head right he would be a great asset to our team. The Liverpool midfield always looks better balanced when he plays and because he is one of the few wide players we have who can actually make a good pass or through ball he has been missed.
account deleted by request

Postby CousinIT » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:The fact is Gonzo and Aurelio have both failed to live up to the hype and Rafa is now forced to farm Gerrard out to the left

That post is spot on mate. Speedy and Fabio are not good enough and Riise doesn't have the ability to play left wing as far as I'm concerened. Yet I don't feel Harry is the answer. He for me is like Luis Garcia, one good game four poor.

We need a permanant world class left winger, that's why we should of got Duff.

PS Doddy love the avatar mate.
You'll Never Walk Alone

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
7 FA Cups
7 League Cups
CousinIT

Postby GLB1 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 pm

CousinIT wrote:To sum this up,NO. If there is one player we don't need right now it's Harry Kewell. The way we are playing right now would not suit Harry. He would not change the corse of a match and he would be like playing with only 10 men.

Harry is the sort of player you play when you're doing well and the team has confidence. He isn't good enough to change a match on his own.

Mate have you actually watch Kewell over the years ? If there is one player in our squad (Other than Stevie) that can change a match on there own it is Kewell.

Obviously you are just a Kewell hater who finds it easier to jump on the bandwagon of hating players rather than supporting them.

Yes he does get paid too much, Yes he does get injured too much, But judge the man on his footballing ability.

Kewell back in the side would be a huge plus with his creative passing and his control over the ball. Bellamy and Kuyt would greatly benifit with through ball after through ball.
GLB1

Postby weringo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:45 pm

I am not sure what people are on about when they say Kewell is an inconsistant player. Last season almost every game he played well and there were people on this board praising him as one of our best players and it was like having a new signing. One good game, four poor? More like four good games, one poor
weringo
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion