Tevez - 30mil

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:41 pm

Eto'o plays in an all out attack league where opposition defense sits high up in the field

Stereotype. Play Getafe anyday. You see them and you think, oh they're shíte!!

But curiously enough your team doesn't make 5 passes in a row against them as they press very well and are very tough defensively. There are deep teams,  there's a huge variety of systems, sometimes we tend to stereotype a bit foreign leagues as if the Spaniard one was the heaven for any striker.

For what is worth, that McCarthy that some of you have mentioned for instance, didn't feel like orientated in this league... so it all depends on the club, the system they play for, and a lot of factors.

It's quite safe to say I think that Eto'o would perform well in any league, so would Silva and Villa, or Gerrard in Spain.

Football is football no matter how we dress it up, and quality is quality.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:48 pm

Alternatives? Owen, Milito, Trezeguet, Villa, Eto'o.

No doubt there will be many more players who we don't know about who may be on Rafa's hit list.

The article you cited contains no quotes, only would "reportedly" cost £9m for the following season.

Magnusson actually came out recently in tv interview with sky and said Tevez has a contract with them for 3 more years - i.e. his registration rights. Whether there are some contractual intricacies that enable MSI to opt out of that agreement - we don't know.

I think the difference between Tevez and Eto'o is quite clear. Tevez is not proven at our level in a top European club - Eto'o is. Tevez has never played for a top european club. The Brazilian league and the Argentinian primera division are just not the same level as us or Barcelona, Eto'o is a proven player at this level, Tevez is not. Eto'o earnt his badges at Mallorca over 4 seasons before making the step up to Barca for £15m or so. Should Tevez wish to move on now, I'd say a similar fee would be appropriate, only once he does what Eto'o has done at a top european club should he warrant such a price tag.

Overall I'd say £30m for Tevez is suicidal money to pay. That price tag should be reserved for the very best and I'm glad to say I think Rafa is not the type of manager to go out and spend so much on one player UNLESS they are absolutely top notch and proven at the very top - which Eto'o is.
LFC2007

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Very seldom do young potentially world class International forwards who already have Premiership experience, become available in today's market.

For me, Tevez has it all and in the next couple of years he will be one of the world's best players.  Just my opinion.  You don't get these players cheap though.  Some scoffed when Fergie payed 20+ million for Rooney.  Looking back now it was a bargain.  I suspect whoever stumps up the cash for Tevez this summer won't regret it either.

If we can afford the 30 million then I'd pay it.  If we have to pay 9 million for a season's loan with the option to buy outright at the end of it, I'd pay it.  Whether our owners will sanction that much for one player, I'm beginning to doubt.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:03 pm

john craig wrote:For me, Tevez has it all and in the next couple of years he will be one of the world's best players.  Just my opinion.  You don't get these players cheap though.  Some scoffed when Fergie payed 20+ million for Rooney.  Looking back now it was a bargain.  I suspect whoever stumps up the cash for Tevez this summer won't regret it either.

Rooney cost £23m plus add ons, he is better than Tevez and was English - it's no surprise why he cost so much. £30m straight for Tevez? No chance, that is crazy money.

Man Utd can afford that risk, we are in a much different situation. We cannot just take a punt on a youngster for that kind of money, we have to get it right and if it's that type of fee then it has to be the dogs nuts i.e. Eto'o.
LFC2007

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:30 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
john craig wrote:For me, Tevez has it all and in the next couple of years he will be one of the world's best players.  Just my opinion.  You don't get these players cheap though.  Some scoffed when Fergie payed 20+ million for Rooney.  Looking back now it was a bargain.  I suspect whoever stumps up the cash for Tevez this summer won't regret it either.

Rooney cost £23m plus add ons, he is better than Tevez and was English - it's no surprise why he cost so much. £30m straight for Tevez? No chance, that is crazy money.

Man Utd can afford that risk, we are in a much different situation. We cannot just take a punt on a youngster for that kind of money, we have to get it right and if it's that type of fee then it has to be the dogs nuts i.e. Eto'o.

Time will tell.

Rooney's more proven than Tevez, not necessarily better.  Very similar players.  Tevez has done exceptionally well.  It took him half a season to adapt to English football and since then he's never looked back.  He has brilliant technical ability and this will only become more obvious playing at a bigger club with better players.

I agree 30 million is a phenomenal fee and I don't think there's much chance of us paying it (despite the fact we are probably for once in a financial situation where we could).

Personally I doubt it would take 30 million despite the figures quoted in the press.  I think he'll eventually go for closer to 20 million but we'll see.

Most likely scenario will be he goes to Spain, probably to Madrid and in a couple of years time he'll be one of the world's top players.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:31 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Rooney cost £23m plus add ons, he is better than Tevez and was English - it's no surprise why he cost so much. £30m straight for Tevez? No chance, that is crazy money.

It is very debateable who is the better player...

they are both similar players.. they like to run with the ball and attack the goal as opposed to poachers like van nistelrooy or insaghi...they are both strong and pacy players and that's why tevez did well last season in the premiership... if you ask me I prefer tevez... I think he has more finese and dribbling skill than rooney... rooney can be very one dimensional although he has improved his all round play last year... if you ask me tevez'es all round play now is better than rooney's when he signed for man u and so I would pay 30 million for him... and also rooney's fees were actually closer to 31 million...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:39 pm

maguskwt wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Rooney cost £23m plus add ons, he is better than Tevez and was English - it's no surprise why he cost so much. £30m straight for Tevez? No chance, that is crazy money.

It is very debateable who is the better player...

they are both similar players.. they like to run with the ball and attack the goal as opposed to poachers like van nistelrooy or insaghi...they are both strong and pacy players and that's why tevez did well last season in the premiership... if you ask me I prefer tevez... I think he has more finese and dribbling skill than rooney... rooney can be very one dimensional although he has improved his all round play last year... if you ask me tevez'es all round play now is better than rooney's when he signed for man u and so I would pay 30 million for him... and also rooney's fees were actually closer to 31 million...

Debatable? Rooney is the better play - of that there is no question. As much as the little fecker p!sses me of, he is better than anyone of his age in the world. 

Rooney cost £23m plus ADD ONS.

There is a big difference, these add ons require performance and/or appearances/success in order to take the fee up to £30m - he's English anyway, our talent comes at a premium - FACT.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:43 pm

john craig wrote:Rooney's more proven than Tevez, not necessarily better.  Very similar players.  Tevez has done exceptionally well.  It took him half a season to adapt to English football and since then he's never looked back.  He has brilliant technical ability and this will only become more obvious playing at a bigger club with better players.

Rooney is more proven, IMO he is a better player than Tevez. He has achieved at the highest level and has played some exceptional football, he is a special talent, much more so than Tevez at this moment in time.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:05 pm

another cheap alternative is saviola... he's available for free... IMO he is in better physicall form than owen...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:13 pm

why not benni mccarthy, scored the same amount of goals as berbatov did last season.
he was quoted to have said that he'd be tempted to leave blackburn for a "champions league" club.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:24 pm

john craig wrote:Very seldom do young potentially world class International forwards who already have Premiership experience, become available in today's market.

For me, Tevez has it all and in the next couple of years he will be one of the world's best players.  Just my opinion.  You don't get these players cheap though.  Some scoffed when Fergie payed 20+ million for Rooney.  Looking back now it was a bargain.  I suspect whoever stumps up the cash for Tevez this summer won't regret it either.

If we can afford the 30 million then I'd pay it.  If we have to pay 9 million for a season's loan with the option to buy outright at the end of it, I'd pay it.  Whether our owners will sanction that much for one player, I'm beginning to doubt.

Good to see you posting again John.

BTW I agree with you, Tevez will be a hit where ever he ends up. A cracking player, the knid of player we could do with.

Like I said before if Carrick is worth 18M and Bent has been priced at 17M, then Tevez at 30m is fair enough.

If we've got the money or like you said do the loan deal we should take him, he'd be great for us IMHO.
66-1112520797

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:56 pm

When I left for NZ, I was very underwhelmed by Tevez but most people who's views I respect are of the opinion that in the latter half of the season he was brilliant so I've no doubt he was. As such, he would look like a good signing to me if he is available when the likes of Eto aren't. He is by now used to english football, he is young, and although as some have pointed out his "proven" period is relatively short, he does lead the line for the Argentine national team so he's no flash in the pan on the World stage.

As for the price, well it is what it is. Compared to Rooney he looks expensive? Well most people do to be honest. Man Utd stole him and I said as much at the time. It's one of the many failings of Mourinho's claim to be "the special one" that during his tenure at the richest club in the World and during a time when they were paying ridiculous money for sometimes good but not outstanding players, he allowed Rooney to go to Man Utd for 23 million. We couldn't have stopped it, neither could Arsenal but had Chelsea bid along with the laughable Barcodes, Rooney would have gone for over 30 million without a doubt.

It also doesn't look expensive to me when you consider the figures being bandied about for Darren Bent. While I'm a bit of a fan of the Charlton man compared to most people on here, it's reasonable to assume he would be some way short of getting in the Argentina team. There would also barring disaster be a chunky sell-on fee (worst case scenario barring injury is that he completely flops, and given his age and pedigree I'd be confident of getting AT LEAST half your money back).

So no, if we can't get the best (Eto) then lets get someone exceptional. If it were to be Tevez, I'll go with the likes of John Craigs judgement and you wouldn't hear any complaints from me.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:00 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
john craig wrote:Rooney's more proven than Tevez, not necessarily better.  Very similar players.  Tevez has done exceptionally well.  It took him half a season to adapt to English football and since then he's never looked back.  He has brilliant technical ability and this will only become more obvious playing at a bigger club with better players.

Rooney is more proven, IMO he is a better player than Tevez. He has achieved at the highest level and has played some exceptional football, he is a special talent, much more so than Tevez at this moment in time.

Rooney seems to be the better player rite now. We cannot judge the talent between them at the moment for tevez has just arrived and did very well after a bloddy hard time.Rooney on the other hand is used to the league here so he looks better.

Mayb in the nex season if tevez is still here , we can proprely judge them in who is better , for now rooney is the one.IF tevez was english , i think no one would really mind the 30 million price tag , and i do think he's worth 30mp.

carrick -18mp
hargreaveas-18mp
anderson - 18mp*somewhere

juz too show how the market stands
Elchris

Postby johnlennon » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:00 pm

bigmick wrote:When I left for NZ, I was very underwhelmed by Tevez but most people who's views I respect are of the opinion that in the latter half of the season he was brilliant so I've no doubt he was. As such, he would look like a good signing to me if he is available when the likes of Eto aren't. He is by now used to english football, he is young, and although as some have pointed out his "proven" period is relatively short, he does lead the line for the Argentine national team so he's no flash in the pan on the World stage.

As for the price, well it is what it is. Compared to Rooney he looks expensive? Well most people do to be honest. Man Utd stole him and I said as much at the time. It's one of the many failings of Mourinho's claim to be "the special one" that during his tenure at the richest club in the World and during a time when they were paying ridiculous money for sometimes good but not outstanding players, he allowed Rooney to go to Man Utd for 23 million. We couldn't have stopped it, neither could Arsenal but had Chelsea bid along with the laughable Barcodes, Rooney would have gone for over 30 million without a doubt.

It also doesn't look expensive to me when you consider the figures being bandied about for Darren Bent. While I'm a bit of a fan of the Charlton man compared to most people on here, it's reasonable to assume he would be some way short of getting in the Argentina team. There would also barring disaster be a chunky sell-on fee (worst case scenario barring injury is that he completely flops, and given his age and pedigree I'd be confident of getting AT LEAST half your money back).

So no, if we can't get the best (Eto) then lets get someone exceptional. If it were to be Tevez, I'll go with the likes of John Craigs judgement and you wouldn't hear any complaints from me.

great post my friend, totally agree 100%

i could not believe cheslki didnt try for rooney, manure look set for the next 10 years with the players they have

i really think we should go all out for huntelar and wright-phillps
when you walk in the storm..............
johnlennon

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm

Elchris wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

Rooney seems to be the better player rite now. We cannot judge the talent between them at the moment for tevez has just arrived and did very well after a bloddy hard time.Rooney on the other hand is used to the league here so he looks better.

Mayb in the nex season if tevez is still here , we can proprely judge them in who is better , for now rooney is the one.IF tevez was english , i think no one would really mind the 30 million price tag , and i do think he's worth 30mp.

carrick -18mp
hargreaveas-18mp
anderson - 18mp*somewhere

juz too show how the market stands

If you ask me who is the better player in terms of talent I would say Rooney. Even during his time at Boca and Corinthians I was never totally convinced about Tevez, although Rooney is no mr fitness, Tevez just didn't appear to take care of his physique and appeared laboured. I think he is a fantastic player but he would need to show more discipline with his fitness to be consistent at our level in the league and in Europe.

Rooney IMO is a better player as an individual, can Tevez do just as good a job in a team - absolutely. If we can get Tevez for anything under £20m then great.I really don't see us paying £30m for him, nor would I want us to because of the risk. We are not Man Utd, they can afford the risk of bringing in the likes of Anderson and Nani for silly money because their squad is virtually complete, ours is not.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill