Tevez - 30mil

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby red_guy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 am

He's an excellent player. A nightmare for defenders but he's not a 30+ a season striker...still excellent , though. 30 Mil is too much, i think.
Last edited by red_guy on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:04 am

The thing is we have only seen him perform well for 10 or so games. If he done that over the course of a season he could well be a 30 a season striker.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:21 am

I agree £30m is really a price tag for the proven best. Lets remember that Masher was also playing in the same sh!te side, and look at his level when he came to us. Tevez is the kind of player we have been missing imho, strong, pacy ball carrying goalscorer, he could really open up the final third and make space for our other attackers. The problem will be the price, but we may get him if Rafa wants, this is the league with the most money, and are there really many clubs on the continent who would pay £30m?
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby red_guy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:27 am

bavlondon wrote:The thing is we have only seen him perform well for 10 or so games. If he done that over the course of a season he could well be a 30 a season striker.

Well, maybe. Yup..maybe he can be a 30 goals a season striker. But for 30M? Anyway, i would love to see him playing for us...hopefully.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:39 am

If you could guarantee 30+ goals per season, for a few seasons, 50 million squids would be worth it. 30 million for tevez, at this stage would be a gamble, but one that could pay-off.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:49 am

I think Tevez is quality and exactly the player we want, he's like Owen but with attitude and desire. I would definitely buy him for 30 million and I really hope Rafa thinks the same way. h eis proven in the prem and lets remember that he wasn't played properly at WestHam until the last 10 games then he saved them from relegation and was without doubt the best striker in the league at the end of the campaign.

We need Tevez, he will rock at Anfield.
heimdall

Postby Penguins » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:32 pm

Well, since I believe Villa, Eto'o and henry will just now move our options are extremely limited if we want a top striker.

For me Tevez is the best we could possibly get. He has done great whereever he has played.
Even if £30m would be a stretch, what are the options?

17 for Bent?
16 for Milito?
15 for Forlan?

For me they are not even close and only a very slight upgrade to what we already got.

Torres would cost almost the same and Tevez would need no time to get used to the PL.
The kind of class Tevez has shown is rare and good luck finding such players available.

I'd sell maybe a player or 2 if it meant Tevez instead of Bent.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:46 pm

heimdall wrote:I think Tevez is quality and exactly the player we want, he's like Owen but with attitude and desire. I would definitely buy him for 30 million.

give the new owners a call. i'm sure they'll be delighted that you're willing to stump up the money.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:14 pm

Penguins wrote:Well, since I believe Villa, Eto'o and henry will just now move our options are extremely limited if we want a top striker.

For me Tevez is the best we could possibly get. He has done great whereever he has played.
Even if £30m would be a stretch, what are the options?

17 for Bent?
16 for Milito?
15 for Forlan?

For me they are not even close and only a very slight upgrade to what we already got.

Torres would cost almost the same and Tevez would need no time to get used to the PL.
The kind of class Tevez has shown is rare and good luck finding such players available.

I'd sell maybe a player or 2 if it meant Tevez instead of Bent.

How would Torres cost the same? Torres is worth what a club is willing to pay for him and if he sells for anything like £30m I will write a letter of congratulations to Athletico Madrid with a bottle of champagne to boot.

A deal that would involve us loaning Tevez out with an option to purhcase at the end would be the best possible deal IMO. That way he has to earn his move, he has to prove he can cut the mustard at this level. The days of paying £30m for one player are limited, the only players I consider worth that price are Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Kaka and perhaps Henry - although he is getting on a bit he is still world class.

Of the three options you mention I'd rather have Owen at £9m over any of them.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:24 pm

Well, if a few clubs start bidding for torres i can see his fee become 27 million, which is his release clause.

And it's enterily up to Kia if he want to loan him or sell him.

Considering West Ham want to pay 9 million just to have him one year, a loan wouldn't be that good, if it would mean 9 million just to have a player for a year.

For me Tevez isn't that far from Eto'o and Tevez has a whole year of PL experience. I see that as a huge plus. We have all seen he can do it.

Players from other leagues could and should do it but you never know. With Tevez you do know.

With the likes of Inter, Real, Manure after him it tells me that others thinks he's top class also.
Since I think we have a extremly small chance of getting him, I'd to whatever it takes to get him.

And Owen is just not a good alternative for me. He is incredibly disloyal to his club and has played a staggering 13 games in 2 years. Who knows where he stands now or how long he can stay injury free.

We already have one player like that in the squad already.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:29 pm

This is the dilemma of strikers and money.

The X axis is to represent the quality of a player, the Y axis to represent the money it costs. And with strikers, quality reachs a point in which the price paid grows exponentially.

If you want a 4,5 quality striker you'll pay something reasonable. If you want a slightly better one you'll pay a lot of more.

So is Tevez a 5,5 striker? I'm not so sure... I haven't seen much of him in England, but he's not proven for seasons as others (Henry, Eto'o). 30M is quite a LOT of money.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedWolf35 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:36 pm

Sabre wrote:Image

The X axis is to represent the quality of a player, the Y axis to represent the money it costs. And with strikers, quality reachs a point in which the price paid grows exponentially.

If you want a 4,5 quality striker you'll pay something reasonable. If you want a slightly better one you'll pay a lot of more.

So is Tevez a 5,5 striker? I'm not so sure... I haven't seen much of him in England, but he's not proven for seasons as others (Henry, Eto'o). 30M is quite a LOT of money.

Thank you Albert      :bowdown
RedWolf35

Postby Penguins » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Sabre wrote:Image

Ya, it's true.

But if you want that extra quality you have to pay a premium.
I consider Tevez to be top class and the target we might have a chance to get.
I see now better striker that will be available.
Etó'o and Villa has many times the last couple fo weeks said that they want to stay and they love it where they are.
They are playing CL football every year at top clubs.
Henry will never move to another english club, never!
Arsenal, Milan or Barca is where he'll play.

Torres is good but an awful finisher. Bent scored 11 goals and 3 penalties last season. (I do not count penalties for strikers)

Tevez played for WH and is the one player who really wants CL football and play for trophies so he will most likely wanna move.
With so few players of his quality available his price will be very high. And if we want to be the best we have to be able to spend as the best.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Penguins wrote:Well, if a few clubs start bidding for torres i can see his fee become 27 million, which is his release clause.

And it's enterily up to Kia if he want to loan him or sell him.

Considering West Ham want to pay 9 million just to have him one year, a loan wouldn't be that good, if it would mean 9 million just to have a player for a year.

For me Tevez isn't that far from Eto'o and Tevez has a whole year of PL experience. I see that as a huge plus. We have all seen he can do it.

Players from other leagues could and should do it but you never know. With Tevez you do know.

With the likes of Inter, Real, Manure after him it tells me that others thinks he's top class also.
Since I think we have a extremly small chance of getting him, I'd to whatever it takes to get him.

And Owen is just not a good alternative for me. He is incredibly disloyal to his club and has played a staggering 13 games in 2 years. Who knows where he stands now or how long he can stay injury free.

We already have one player like that in the squad already.

Well ask Sabre if you think a club is crazy enough to pay £27m for Torres, If they do I would be amazed, I don't see it happening in a month of sundays.

I don't follow you on the £9m for a Tevez loan, West Ham have him for three years, they have his registration until 2010 so I don't follow you there.

For me Eto'o is probably the best striker in the world, Tevez is nowhere close to that kind of level yet. It would take two more years at a top european club for him to come close to the level of Eto'o. You don't know whether Tevez is going to do it, West Ham weren't exactly a top european club last season. Liverpool is a different level.

Whatever it takes to get Tevez? You've got to be realistic, £30m is reserved for the very best who have done it at the top level in Europe and domestically - Tevez just isn't that at this moment in time. The risk is too big IMO for that type of money. A loan with a view to a permanent deal would be the best way of going about it, either that or a fee significantly less than £30m.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:29 pm

Well, what are the alternatives?

Owen and bent just doesn't do it for me. Not players to make us take another step, not in my eyes.
Tevez is.

About Tevez staying 1 season at WH.

Hammers Bid To Keep Tevez

Sun 17 Jun, 13:09 PM

West Ham striker Carlos Tevez is reportedly on the verge of agreeing a new deal to remain at Upton Park for next season.

Hammers chairman Eggert Magnusson is desperate to keep the Argentinian star after his heroics almost single-handedly kept the club up last season.

The deal for the 23-year-old to remain in east London for a further campaign would reportedly cost a huge £9million, but that figure will not deter Magnusson, who saw a big-money swoop for Charlton's Darren Bent fall through last week when the England striker decided against a move across the capital.

Liverpool and Manchester United are known admirers of the playmaker, while Inter Milan are rumoured to have made a £32million bid.

However, a "top source" told the News of the World: "Mr Magnusson has pulled out all the stops to keep Carlos for at least another season.

"The package will cost £9million in wages and payments to his owner Kia Joorabchian but the chairman is convinced the deal is done."

He added Maagnusson wanted to "do whatever it takes to make the fans happy".

As for Eto'o and tevez I think they have different playing styles and I think the difference isn't all that huge as you say.

Eto'o plays in an all out attack league where opposition defense sits high up in the field and he has Xavi, Deco, Ronaldinho feeding him balls. That helps.
Tevez is PL proven and Eto'o is not. Huge plus in my book.
Tevez managed to score with Mullins, harewood, reo coker feeding him balls.

Tevez scored for fun for Boca juniors and was chosen player of the year in Brazil and was great for West ham and plays for Argentina. I says that qualifies as playing at the highest lvl.
Tevez is young and plays with a lot more agression and fire than Eto'o which is also a plus in the PL.

I say 30 million is ok for tevez beacuse of his overall quality.
He is the best player this transfer windown we could possibly get in my book. And we need that kind of players.

Well, that's my 2 cents.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill