Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby redshade » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:54 pm

I agree Adama would be brill to rotate with our front 3. I feel he would flourish under Klopp. Surround him with our lads and you will see him hit another level. I'd offer them Shaq or even Origi as part of the dela.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:43 pm

If we offered Shaq/Brewster + £20m that would be a amazing deal all round. I know we can't compete with City and Chelsea in the transfer market.. But looking at the past 5 years we don't look like we can compete with Bournemouth or Everton.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Looks like United are on the verge of signing Sancho.
Hope those rumours linking us to Traore are true, this minimalist approach in the transfer market may be good for the balance sheet but looking forward to new signings arriving has always traditionally been one of the better things about the game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:08 am

I don't know why we're surprised by the asking price of quality players, we can't keep hoping that we can pull out a Robertson every time.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for signing Adama, if we wanted to spend that sort of money we would have signed Werner before the Chavs, and he would have been a bargain as well, considering todays prices.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:07 am

I'm a massive fan of Adama, I'd be as happy as hell to see a Raging Bull going direct on goal leaving defenders unsure whether to focus on stopping him or mark Mo/Bobby or Mane depending on how he's played. Whichever the effect would be to open gaping holes in their defence.

Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling showed us how three great players going wide at times can pull a defence over towards the touch line and create gaps in the middle of the park. Lets do it again.

I'd give them any combination of Brewster +Shaq, or Origi + Shaq or Brewster + Origi. Wolves would see a swap for 2 quality forwards as a good deal and quite frankly none of those 3 are good enough for LFC..
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:57 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:42 pm wrote:Looks like United are on the verge of signing Sancho.
Hope those rumours linking us to Traore are true, this minimalist approach in the transfer market may be good for the balance sheet but looking forward to new signings arriving has always traditionally been one of the better things about the game.

It said in the papers that they reached an agreement with the player and the agent, they still have to deal with BD and they are a tough nut to crack. They gave ManUre a deadline to give them time to find a proper replacement and that deadline came and went. We will soon see I guess.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:49 pm

I hope United get him, gambling massive money on an unknown youngster when faced with financial uncertainty going forward. Straight out of Everton's book of stupid things to do in a crisis.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:55 pm

I’m not on the Adama Traore bandwagon myself. I think he’s pretty reliant on big spaces to run into so he can take advantage of his pace and strength. Now that the vast majority of teams are setting up in their own box against us we’re no longer the counter attacking side that Klopp first created. We’re now having to break teams down who have 11 players in their own half. I think Traore would be a fish out of water in a possession based side like us or Man City. Also, due to the amount of muscle he carries, he gasses out badly after a few sprints and walks around for while to recover. He could never play the sort of high intensity football that Klopp demands with his current physique.

When he is on the pitch Wolves entire attacking strategy is to feed him the ball and he managed 4 goals and 9 assists in the league. Not exactly earth shattering and he wouldn’t get the same sort of preferential treatment with us.

I’m all for adding to our attack but my guess is that the Klopp and the recruitment team won’t find it difficult to find a better player who is more suited to our game at the sort of price that is being quoted.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Cool Hand Luke » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:55 pm wrote:I’m not on the Adama Traore bandwagon myself. I think he’s pretty reliant on big spaces to run into so he can take advantage of his pace and strength. Now that the vast majority of teams are setting up in their own box against us we’re no longer the counter attacking side that Klopp first created. We’re now having to break teams down who have 11 players in their own half. I think Traore would be a fish out of water in a possession based side like us or Man City. Also, due to the amount of muscle he carries, he gasses out badly after a few sprints and walks around for while to recover. He could never play the sort of high intensity football that Klopp demands with his current physique.

When he is on the pitch Wolves entire attacking strategy is to feed him the ball and he managed 4 goals and 9 assists in the league. Not exactly earth shattering and he wouldn’t get the same sort of preferential treatment with us.

I’m all for adding to our attack but my guess is that the Klopp and the recruitment team won’t find it difficult to find a better player who is more suited to our game at the sort of price that is being quoted.

:nod  a valid perspective.

Adama is primarily all about pace and physique , other elements of his game are fairly average. He's not a John Barnes ! Wouldn't be unhappy if we signed him BUT not bothered if we didn't.

Right now I'm more disappointed at our failure to add sparkle and creativity to our midfield.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Cool Hand Luke » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 am wrote:I’m not on the Adama Traore bandwagon myself. I think he’s pretty reliant on big spaces to run into so he can take advantage of his pace and strength. Now that the vast majority of teams are setting up in their own box against us we’re no longer the counter attacking side that Klopp first created. We’re now having to break teams down who have 11 players in their own half. I think Traore would be a fish out of water in a possession based side like us or Man City. Also, due to the amount of muscle he carries, he gasses out badly after a few sprints and walks around for while to recover. He could never play the sort of high intensity football that Klopp demands with his current physique.

Hmm...I’m not so sure mate, i don’t think we graft nearly as much as we used to, watch Bobby this weekend, he spends half the game walking around himself. Plus re teams sitting back, one of our go-to tactics these days is for Alisson or Virgil or Trent or even Joe to lob a ball over the top for one of our forwards to run onto, we use it all the time. We still get plenty of opportunities to break on teams as well, we’re just not as effective at converting those opportunities into goals as we once were.
As I said the other day we all know Traore is no Pulisic but he is quick, strong and direct and what’s more he has proven that he can cause any defence in the world serious problems. If he is on the pitch defenders can’t ignore him, even if he’s not doing much they have to legislate for him. With all due respect to the likes of Minamino or Origi or Brewster etc top class defenders aren’t going to change the way they play or the way they set up for them, top class defenders will worry about being isolated one on one with Traore though. Alan Hansen famously said back in the day that the only thing that worried him as a defender was genuine pace, just by being there Traore puts pressure on defences.
Is he the greatest player ever? no, clearly not, would he improve our squad? would he make us better? definitely yes.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:36 pm

I agree with Cool Hand Luke on this one, Adama is just overhyped for me. Decent player to have in the team and can be a handful on his day, but definitely not as good or as useful as some think IMO. Not worth the high price Wolves will ask for him either. I wouldn't pay more than £40m for him, even that's too much, and Wolves will likely ask for more.

In any event, we just have to make peace with the fact that apart from the possibility of Gini leaving and being replaced by Alcantara, we won't be making any meaningful signings in this transfer window, again. Klopp has said as much a few times now.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby electrum » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:09 pm

If we don't get a class back up for the front three we are one injury away from being also rans-

Origi - decent no more no less.

Minamino - still unproven in the PL as backup...

Brewster - not even here very possibly

:no
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:52 pm

Wouldnt be overly pushed on traore myself. We need goals and his strike rate isn't any better than what we have so signing him would be one step back before going sideways. He has pace and strength but not the brain imo.

Goals for me is the area most in need and whether we get that in the form of an attacking mid or striker isn't the issue as long as we address it
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:36 am

Cool Hand Luke » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 am wrote:I’m not on the Adama Traore bandwagon myself. I think he’s pretty reliant on big spaces to run into so he can take advantage of his pace and strength. Now that the vast majority of teams are setting up in their own box against us we’re no longer the counter attacking side that Klopp first created. We’re now having to break teams down who have 11 players in their own half. I think Traore would be a fish out of water in a possession based side like us or Man City. Also, due to the amount of muscle he carries, he gasses out badly after a few sprints and walks around for while to recover. He could never play the sort of high intensity football that Klopp demands with his current physique.

Good post

A top class midfielder that can consistently thread the needle is how you will break those teams down.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:43 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:00 pm wrote:

Hmm...I’m not so sure mate, i don’t think we graft nearly as much as we used to, watch Bobby this weekend, he spends half the game walking around himself. Plus re teams sitting back, one of our go-to tactics these days is for Alisson or Virgil or Trent or even Joe to lob a ball over the top for one of our forwards to run onto, we use it all the time. We still get plenty of opportunities to break on teams as well, we’re just not as effective at converting those opportunities into goals as we once were.
As I said the other day we all know Traore is no Pulisic but he is quick, strong and direct and what’s more he has proven that he can cause any defence in the world serious problems. If he is on the pitch defenders can’t ignore him, even if he’s not doing much they have to legislate for him. With all due respect to the likes of Minamino or Origi or Brewster etc top class defenders aren’t going to change the way they play or the way they set up for them, top class defenders will worry about being isolated one on one with Traore though. Alan Hansen famously said back in the day that the only thing that worried him as a defender was genuine pace, just by being there Traore puts pressure on defences.
Is he the greatest player ever? no, clearly not, would he improve our squad? would he make us better? definitely yes.

As a plan B he could help us but I don't think he has the stamina to play the way we play for 90 minutes, would you pay 70million for a plan B?
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill