Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:39 pm

kazza » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:30 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:18 pm wrote:Even Ray Clemence is in the paper saying we should be trying to sign a couple of top players while our star is riding high.
For years we got told we can't attract x or y because x and y want to play for a team that's competing for the biggest prizes in the game and can guarantee them CL football. Well, right now, we are that team!
The only time a football team shouldn't be trying to sign players is when they have the XI best individual players on the face of the planet, if you don't have the best XI players you can improve.
Things can change around quickly in footy, we shouldn't be resting on our laurels.

Very few deals have been completed by any club, I think it is still early and players are still on holidays. Players will come in window, I’m sure of it.

Yeah that's a fair comment although saying that all the noises coming out of the club (and the Echo) are that we won't be doing much business this summer as Jurgen is happy with what he's got.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:45 pm

you would think that while our club's profile is sky high after winning the Champions League then we should be doing cracking business this summer!

I still wait with baited breath, and am confident that we will sign at least TWO stellar names...

Meanwhile Scum and City are battling it out for 70m Harry Maguire from Leicester :D
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:54 am wrote:
Wel, seems you agree that there are players out there who would indeed improve us don't you think it would be a decent idea to try and sign at least one of them? They don't even have to be massive names, given a choice who would you rather see in our squad Lallana or that lad from Leicester Maddison? Arsenal are trying to sign Zaha for £40m, granted as it stands he wouldn't get into our starting XI but don't you think he'd be a reasonably priced back up to Mo and Sadio? Obviously someone like Pepe or Dembele would be much more preferable but if the club doesn't want to spend big Zaha would be a decent fall-back option imo.
We got lucky with injuries last year, particularly to our front 3, we can't keep rolling the dice, we need to have a squad in place that can deal with major bumps in the road. You made a good point about Lovren the other day along the same lines, when he is our 4th choice CB you know the defence is in good shape. We need that type of depth all over the park before we start declaring that we are the finished article and don't need to sign anyone.

We arent going to bid foer the likes of Mbappe and Co - they arent in scope , we wont pay the wages they would ask for , the likes of PSG etc will be where they

Maddison , Zaha would be good signings for back up - but both going to cost over £80mil , Klopp wont spend that for someone to support

He will be looking at players like Mane when he was at Soton - under the radar players for £30-40 mil etc - someone they know can develop etc just like Mane and Salah did

And we have players like Origi ,Wilson and Brewster who are thought of highly by the manager and will be given chances

But people will arrive - dont expect it to be a world class £80 mil plus player but players will arrive

And players like Lovren etc are happy to be at the club to support because they know they will get some playing time and they are at the tailend of their career

Cant keep saying "we were lucky" with injuries - Mo , Mane , Firmino etc we lost a lot of playig time with players injured last season - City had less than us

And remember City have also signed no one

The manager could well be very happy with his squad and feel he can see them progress and develop further - would we really question Klopp ?
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:17 pm

I’m not surprised by our lack of activity – it’s representative of the market in general. City haven’t signed anyone, we’ve signed a 17 year old, Chelsea already had Pulisic and Kovacic lined up but have done nothing this summer, Spurs have signed someone from the Championship, Arsenal haven’t signed anyone, and Man Utd have signed someone from the Championship and someone from a relegation team. The Africans Nations and the Copa America both taking place this summer is delaying market movement. Transfer movement is often interdependent so once things get going I’d imagine there will be a flurry of movement end of July/early August.

Truth is we don’t need to do a lot in terms of volume. There are 1 or 2 gaps in the squad but apart from that it would be a case of replacing the likes of Lovren, Lallana and Origi with better options if they move on.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Chelsea cant sign anyone as they have a ban, they could only sign Kovacic as they had him already signed on loan, if the loan had expired they wouldn't have been able to sign him.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Looks like we've made contact with Barca for Ousmane Dembélé.. Klopp has always been a admirer of him even before he joined Dortmund. I know Barca are trying to sell a few players so they can go for Griezmann. Bayern have had a £62m bid rejected and rightfully so as Barca paid £110m for him. I think we should offer £75m with £20m of addons kind of like they did with Coutinho.

If they sell Coutinho before he reaches so many appearances we'll lose out on £20m I believe.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 pm

That Mbappe link was all smoke due to a comment he made. No way in a million years were we ever going to sign him.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:06 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 pm wrote:If they sell Coutinho before he reaches so many appearances we'll lose out on £20m I believe.

The breakdown of the deal is £109 up front plus the following:
-£4.5m at each 25-match interval to total that £18m
-£4.5m due if Barca qualify for 2018/19 Champions League
-£4.5m if they qualify for the 19/20 Champions League
-£4.5m for winning the Champions League in 18/19
-£4.5m again if they win it in 19/20

So far Coutinho's played 51 matches, which means we'd lose £9 million on appearances. The only other potential cash would be if Barca win the CL next season...but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you  :laugh:

Not sure if we get a potential cut of any future fee.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rum » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 pm

We've bid 54m today for Bruno fernandes from sporting apparently
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:43 pm

I just googled him ffs...............

https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/w ... 00047r.jpg
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:16 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48859841

Rodri: Manchester City pay £62.6m release clause for Atletico Madrid's Spain midfielder

FFS how the heck does FFP actually work, how can they just keep spending and spending and never sell anyone????
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:20 pm

From what I saw of him in that Nations League thing that was on the other week he didn't look that good tbh, one thing he did have though was a terrific shot from distance.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Don't watch that much footy apart from Liverpool as I used to, so I haven't seen much of Fernandes but his stats alone are phemomenal. 30 goals and 20 assists in one season is a great record for a midfielder, wherever he playes. From what I saw on youtube, he can shoot with both feet and it seems to me he can play both in midfield and as a false number 9.

Don't know how good he'd be for us if we sign him, but just hijacking the transfer from the scum would be amazing :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 pm

To be fair we have been missing someone who can shoot from range, when teams defend deep and get numbers behind the ball we've sometimes struggled to break them down so someone who can hammer one into the top corner from 25 yards will come in very handy.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill