Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Reg » Thu May 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Liverpool transfer news: Reds confident of signing Mario Gotze as Bayern Munich look for £20 million   :ghostface:

Chris Bascombe   :oh:
12 MAY 2016 • 12:00PM
Liverpool remain confident they can lure Mario Gotze to Anfield this summer after Bayern Munich made it known the midfielder will be leaving the Bundesliga champions.

Jurgen Klopp has been courting his former protégé since it became apparent the 23-year-old would be seeking a fresh challenge ahead of the start of next season.

German media last night reported that incoming Bayern manager Carlo Ancelotti has informed Gotze he can go. His contract expires at the end of next season, 2017, which means his valuation is currently around £20 million.  :blush:

Gotze has indicated he will make his decision after the European Championships, with his former club Borussia Dortmund and Juventus also trailing him. Dortmund fans have not taken so kindly to the prospect of the player’s return, with their rivalry with Munich intensifying now Mats Hummels has become the latest to leave them for the champions.

The personal relationship between Klopp and Gotze could prove crucial for a deal that would be seen as a bargain given the calibre of the man who scored the winning goal in the last World Cup.

Gotze has been a priority signing for Klopp since he became aware of his availability.  :bowdown

Speaking last month, the Liverpool manager would not be drawn on the pursuit of the player he managed at Borussia Dortmund beyond acknowledging the pain he felt when he sold him to his Bundesliga rivals in 2013.

He refrained from elaborating on whether Gotze is in talks to move to Merseyside, but said: “It is easy to know I like Mario Gotze. It was not the best day in my life when I heard he was going to Bayern Munich.

“I have known him since he was 16. That is a long trip but he is still a young player. I know him better than other players, that is right. That is the only difference to all the other players around.  :glare:

“I would never say anything about a transfer, whether we are interested or not. It is not important. I speak to you about transfers when they are done and not before. It is all rumours, speculation and I have nothing to say about things like this. We can talk two hours about Mario Gotze but it would not change a per cent whether he comes here or goes wherever.”

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 12, 2016 9:58 pm

To be honest he's never looked that impressive whenever I've seen him but he's obviously a top player given that high profile tug of war Bayern and Dortmund had over him a few years ago. The good thing is that he learned his trade at Dortmund under Jurgen so he must know this gegenpressing malarkey like the back of his hand, if anyone is going to hit the ground running its going to be this lad.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Fri May 13, 2016 6:47 am

It's being reported in various sources that Chelsea are already in talks with Gotze and are trying to flesh something out.

Doesn't surprise me, with Ian Ayre asleep at the wheel yet again this could me another "close one that got away" 

If we miss out on a player that Klopp has had very close ties to in the past compared to a club that hasn't even got next season's manager through their doors yet, that useless sod needs to be moved on well before May 2017.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby aCe' » Fri May 13, 2016 8:25 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 am wrote:To be honest he's never looked that impressive whenever I've seen him but he's obviously a top player given that high profile tug of war Bayern and Dortmund had over him a few years ago. The good thing is that he learned his trade at Dortmund under Jurgen so he must know this gegenpressing malarkey like the back of his hand, if anyone is going to hit the ground running its going to be this lad.

I've never thought of him as a top player either. I think he has a bit more end product than Lallana but he's nowhere near as good as the some of the other attacking talent at Bayern (Robben, Ribery, Douglas Costa, Lewandowski, Muller). Even Coman and new arrival Sanchez are bound to get in the side ahead of him. Add some of their defenders and CMs who are often played in advanced positions (Lahm, Alaba, Thiago, Vidal, Rode) and he's quite literally the definition of surplus to requirements at Bayern. Of all the names I mentioned, only Rode who has struggled with injuries played fewer games.

Gotze only started 12 games in all competitions for Bayern this season and he came off the bench 7 times.

Whether I'd want us to pay 25+ mill for him largely depends on our other targets and who we're looking to ship out. I honestly don't see him as that big an improvement on what we already have (very similar to Firmino in style and positions played) but I think Klopp might be thinking about us having enough cover for CF positions next season with Sturridge, Origi, Ings + Firmino, Gotze for injuries. Might not be the worst idea. 
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri May 13, 2016 9:24 am

Simple question, who would you rather have, Gotze or Henderson?  err.....  :Oo:

West Ham for example could never convince Gotze to go there for 20m but they might convince Henderson for 20m...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri May 13, 2016 12:36 pm

If Gotze wants to come here, he'll do so. I'm confident we've made enquires as its been all over the news that we're interested. However, the Chelsea reports say they are looking to pay £35 million....he's not worth that with 12 months left to run on his contract.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Agreed with ace about most of that. I'm willing to sign up Gotze but only because his position isn't a priority and we already have good enough players for that position. Gotze was an amazing player at Dortmund though, and the man that can use his full potential is the man that unlocked that potential in the first place. So at 20-25m it's definitely worth a go and If it doesn't work out, he'll be a good cover for the ones we already have.

However, if Chelsea are looking to pay the reported £35 million then we should abandon that idea because he's not worth that.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Reg » Fri May 13, 2016 8:24 am wrote:Simple question, who would you rather have, Gotze or Henderson?  err.....  :Oo:

West Ham for example could never convince Gotze to go there for 20m but they might convince Henderson for 20m...

You are comparing apples and oranges though Reg, Gotze and Henderson play in different positions, as Ace points out its the likes of Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and maybe even Markovic who Gotze will be competing against.
Is he an upgrade on them? I'm asking you because I honestly don't know.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat May 14, 2016 6:18 am

Gotze regularly showed  phenomenal ability in his time at Dortmund ,I trust Klopp to elevate him to that level again. He's certainly a player with huge talent.

Anyone who doesn't rate him really doesn't appreciate the exquisite !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 13, 2016 9:09 pm wrote:Is he an upgrade on them? I'm asking you because I honestly don't know.

Yes if we can get him to play like he did at Dortmund. If we don't then he'd still be a good backup to the ones that we already have. At 20m definitely worth a go.

What's a bit of a concern for me now though, is that if we sign him he'd be our highest earner. His current salary is around £5.5million per year, compared to our highest earner Sturridge who has £3.5m yearly salary.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat May 14, 2016 7:58 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat May 14, 2016 9:18 am wrote:Gotze regularly showed  phenomenal ability in his time at Dortmund ,I trust Klopp to elevate him to that level again. He's certainly a player with huge talent.

At 20mill, he's a gamble worth taking. The thing with Gotze is that -imo- his profile is bigger than his talent. Even at Dortmund, Reus and Lewandowski were always clearly the better players. He's technically gifted but he'll need to adjust to the pace and physicality of the league. I'd have him in the side ahead of Firmino to be honest but I dont expect him to come in and improve us drastically or anything like that. He's significantly better than Ibe, Markovic, Ojo, Milner so it'll be interesting to see whether someone leaves to make way for him or if we go into the next season with all 4 AMs battling for 2 or 3 positions.

One things for sure, signing him would bring us back to the big boys' table when it comes to transfers. More high profile signings please; any chance Bayern would be willing to sell us Alonso too now that theyre signing Renato Sanches?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun May 15, 2016 3:07 am

Man City had to sign Robinho to open the doors to cnvince other and better players to come. Goetze will get us onto the top table from which other players will come.

Its a no brainer, sell Hendo get Goeze.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun May 15, 2016 11:23 am

Bayern Munich and Germany legend Franz Beckenbauer thinks a move to Liverpool is best.

"I would, in his place, go to a place where I feel comfortable,” he told Sky Germany.

"I have the impression that Mario has not felt right in Munich and also has not been understood, so that he could show his full potential.

"I would in his place go where I am comfortable and follow in the footsteps of Jurgen Klopp."

:buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby only me » Sun May 15, 2016 1:34 pm

aCe' » Sat May 14, 2016 6:58 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat May 14, 2016 9:18 am wrote:Gotze regularly showed  phenomenal ability in his time at Dortmund ,I trust Klopp to elevate him to that level again. He's certainly a player with huge talent.

At 20mill, he's a gamble worth taking. The thing with Gotze is that -imo- his profile is bigger than his talent. Even at Dortmund, Reus and Lewandowski were always clearly the better players. He's technically gifted but he'll need to adjust to the pace and physicality of the league. I'd have him in the side ahead of Firmino to be honest but I dont expect him to come in and improve us drastically or anything like that. He's significantly better than Ibe, Markovic, Ojo, Milner so it'll be interesting to see whether someone leaves to make way for him or if we go into the next season with all 4 AMs battling for 2 or 3 positions.

One things for sure, signing him would bring us back to the big boys' table when it comes to transfers. More high profile signings please; any chance Bayern would be willing to sell us Alonso too now that theyre signing Renato Sanches?

Good Post mate! Gotze is doing the right things on the pitch but is he something exceptional? i've yet to decide but i'm pretty concerned of his physics and ability to shine in a very demanding EPL.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sun May 15, 2016 8:25 pm

This Polish lad Zielinski keeps cropping up so guessing it has legs and there is interest there.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill