Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby JC_81 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:06 pm

I'd be amazed if we got Xhaka given he's already name dropped Man City in the press.

Gundogan we must have a fighting chance of getting though given the Klopp link?! Sounds like he'll definitely leave Dortmund this summer from the noises coming out.

Don't see Grujic having a huge impact at 19 coming from the Serbian league in his first season. Massive step up for him. Might need time.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:51 pm

JC_81 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:06 pm wrote:I'd be amazed if we got Xhaka given he's already name dropped Man City in the press.

Guardiola and Pogba have both made recent comments about how much they'd like to work with each other in the future and the word is that City are lining him (not Xhaka) up as YaYa's replacement.
Apparently the story linking us with Xhaka comes from talksport who say their source is someone from Bild in Germany.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Gundogan would be a huge coup by Klopp. The big champions league and money bags teams will put him top of their transfer list if he moves this summer. Man City, Man Utd, Real Madrid, etc.

I can see Pep remodelling the City midfield so we might have chance of getting Xhaka if they get Gundogan but they will have first pick.
Eagle

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Nice to see in the Daily Telegraph today that Alexandre Pato is one of the most pointless signings ever. Vindicated, well done Klopp.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:35 am

Steve McClaren in limbo amid claims Newcastle have offered Rafa Benitez his job

9 MARCH 2016 • 10:20PM
Steve McClaren’s anger is rising at Newcastle United after he was told to continue to take training, but given no assurances about his future amid claims Rafa Benitez has been offered his job.

McClaren had been expected to meet managing director Lee Charnley on Wednesday, but that meeting was cancelled and the former England manager remains in limbo, telling friends that he feels his treatment has been both insulting and insensitive.

The short phone conversation with Charnley was the first time McClaren had spoken to anyone on the Newcastle board – which met in York on Monday without him -  since the 3-1 home defeat by Bournemouth last Saturday.

A decision to sack the 54-year-old is understood to have been taken in the immediate aftermath of that defeat at the weekend, but the delay in confirming it has raised fears McClaren could cling on as Newcastle are unable to find a replacement.

That appears to have changed with an attempt to lure Benitez to St James’ Park, although the Spaniard has reservations.
Benitez is thought to be open to the idea of taking the job on a short term contract until the end of the season, as he does not want to manage in the Championship should he fail to save Newcastle from relegation. He would only stay on if he kept Newcastle up.

But sources close to the Spaniard have dismissed claims he is ready to take the job as soon as McClaren is dismissed and have stressed, at this stage, that he is just willing to speak to the Newcastle hierarchy. His chief concerns, long term, are who will control recruitment, but he is also wary of the fact he has never taken charge of a team in a relegation battle before.

The search for McClaren’s successor has intensified in the last 48 hours, with Benitez and David Moyes appearing to be the two main contenders, but others have also contacted Charnley to ask about the role.

Both Benitez and Moyes have expressed an interest in the job, although Telegraph Sport understands Newcastle are using intermediaries to assess whether their demands make them suitable candidates in terms of wage demands, length of contract and if they are only willing to work for the club if they are given the power of a manager rather than just a head coach.

Benitez was still in Liverpool on Wednesday and a source close to the former Liverpool manager suggested he was only in a position to talk about the job at this stage.

Nevertheless, Benitez’s pedigree – he last job was as manager of Real Madrid – mean Newcastle are desperate to open that dialogue, even if it means they have to change the management structure put in place by Mike Ashley in 2007 which does not give the man in charge of the team control over recruitment.

Former Everton and Manchester United boss Moyes is in a similar position having also expressed an interest in succeeding McClaren.
Moyes would prefer a long term contract and is willing to stay on if the club are relegated, but he will not work as a head coach and wants control over recruitment.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Reg » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:30 pm wrote:Nice to see in the Daily Telegraph today that Alexandre Pato is one of the most pointless signings ever. Vindicated, well done Klopp.

I forgot all about him...didn't he sign a month ago?  :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Reg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:35 am wrote:Steve McClaren in limbo amid claims Newcastle have offered Rafa Benitez his job

9 MARCH 2016 • 10:20PM
Steve McClaren’s anger is rising at Newcastle United after he was told to continue to take training, but given no assurances about his future amid claims Rafa Benitez has been offered his job.

McClaren had been expected to meet managing director Lee Charnley on Wednesday, but that meeting was cancelled and the former England manager remains in limbo, telling friends that he feels his treatment has been both insulting and insensitive.

The short phone conversation with Charnley was the first time McClaren had spoken to anyone on the Newcastle board – which met in York on Monday without him -  since the 3-1 home defeat by Bournemouth last Saturday.

A decision to sack the 54-year-old is understood to have been taken in the immediate aftermath of that defeat at the weekend, but the delay in confirming it has raised fears McClaren could cling on as Newcastle are unable to find a replacement.

That appears to have changed with an attempt to lure Benitez to St James’ Park, although the Spaniard has reservations.
Benitez is thought to be open to the idea of taking the job on a short term contract until the end of the season, as he does not want to manage in the Championship should he fail to save Newcastle from relegation. He would only stay on if he kept Newcastle up.

But sources close to the Spaniard have dismissed claims he is ready to take the job as soon as McClaren is dismissed and have stressed, at this stage, that he is just willing to speak to the Newcastle hierarchy. His chief concerns, long term, are who will control recruitment, but he is also wary of the fact he has never taken charge of a team in a relegation battle before.

The search for McClaren’s successor has intensified in the last 48 hours, with Benitez and David Moyes appearing to be the two main contenders, but others have also contacted Charnley to ask about the role.

Both Benitez and Moyes have expressed an interest in the job, although Telegraph Sport understands Newcastle are using intermediaries to assess whether their demands make them suitable candidates in terms of wage demands, length of contract and if they are only willing to work for the club if they are given the power of a manager rather than just a head coach.

Benitez was still in Liverpool on Wednesday and a source close to the former Liverpool manager suggested he was only in a position to talk about the job at this stage.

Nevertheless, Benitez’s pedigree – he last job was as manager of Real Madrid – mean Newcastle are desperate to open that dialogue, even if it means they have to change the management structure put in place by Mike Ashley in 2007 which does not give the man in charge of the team control over recruitment.

Former Everton and Manchester United boss Moyes is in a similar position having also expressed an interest in succeeding McClaren.
Moyes would prefer a long term contract and is willing to stay on if the club are relegated, but he will not work as a head coach and wants control over recruitment.

I hope he stays away from them. Great manager but he does not choose teams to manage well. He's been unlucky that he keeps following Maureen and those teams end up tainted buy the "petulant one". Players were against him before he started in Chelsea, Inter and Real.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:43 am

From Real to Newcastle in under a year. Rafa's career will have gone from hero to zero if he goes there....
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:48 pm

7_Kewell » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:43 am wrote:From Real to Newcastle in under a year. Rafa's career will have gone from hero to zero if he goes there....

I disagree. The job could be perfect for him (like Valencia) and I'm sure if he takes it there will be an exit clause in case they get relegated.
Winning a trophy up there (for them) would be bigger than us winning the league and I'd be confident Rafa could do it.
That said - Can't stand them but I will ALWAYS have a sweet spot for THE GAFA!
  :nod
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:15 pm

johnbarnes » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:48 am wrote:
7_Kewell » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:43 am wrote:From Real to Newcastle in under a year. Rafa's career will have gone from hero to zero if he goes there....

I disagree. The job could be perfect for him (like Valencia) and I'm sure if he takes it there will be an exit clause in case they get relegated.
Winning a trophy up there (for them) would be bigger than us winning the league and I'd be confident Rafa could do it.

Rafa will go down a hero if he can transform that shower into a proper team. But I can't see it, owing to the fact the club is a mess from top to bottom. No one knows who's in charge of transfers, their youth development is none existent and previous manager is on the board of directors.

Rafa should avoid that place at all costs.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:56 pm

If Rafa didn't get on with H&G then we won't get on with Mike Ashley that's for sure !
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Looks like it's a done deal, Rafa has been pictured at the ground and the team are having a meeting this afternoon.

From Real to Newcastle...career suicide for Rafa in my view. Hope he proves me wrong as I actually don't mind Newcastle...
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Clubs queue up to throw money at Rafa.... lucky, lucky man.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:55 pm

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:39 pm

johnbarnes » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:48 am wrote:

They are perfect for him, Newcastle fans have low expectations so they won't be on his back after 5 minutes and unlike at Madrid and Inter he'll get time to put a side together. Newcastle have a lot of potential too, any club that can get 55,000 people through the gates every week to watch dross could probably get 70,000 to watch a successful side.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill