Darren bent - Good enough

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby red_guy » Thu May 17, 2007 8:13 am

Naaaaaaahhhhh....we're talking about challenging and winning the premiership. We should get a better striker.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu May 17, 2007 8:26 am

I live in Charlton and my son is a coach at the academy Bent wasnt even highly regarded at the valley and the fans thought he was a waste of space . No way nearly good enough for Liverpool .
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu May 17, 2007 8:36 am

NANNY RED wrote:I live in Charlton and my son is a coach at the academy Bent wasnt even highly regarded at the valley and the fans thought he was a waste of space . No way nearly good enough for Liverpool .

Interesting opinion. What else did your son say about him -- if you remember at all?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu May 17, 2007 8:55 am

Even if he did stay at charlton his place would not be certain, not long ago they sighned a striker from non league football a lad called chris dickson he was outside the transfer deadline so hes been playing in the reserves and hes been banging the goals in he played with hasselbank as his strike partner a couple of week ago and scored 4. Ive seen him play aswell he played in the same team as my lad went for a trial and they sighned him , so Bent was on borrowed time anyway
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu May 17, 2007 9:04 am

NANNY RED wrote:Even if he did stay at charlton his place would not be certain, not long ago they sighned a striker from non league football a lad called chris dickson he was outside the transfer deadline so hes been playing in the reserves and hes been banging the goals in he played with hasselbank as his strike partner a couple of week ago and scored 4. Ive seen him play aswell he played in the same team as my lad went for a trial and they sighned him , so Bent was on borrowed time anyway

I live in charlton as well.  That guy they signed from nonleague goes into my barbershop. He was at Dulwich Hamlets I think?
puroresu

Postby Smeg » Thu May 17, 2007 9:50 am

I can see it happening; we'll get offered someone better whol cost 5 million more, Parry will get a twitchy :censored: then wel sign Bent for 12million.

Hel have about 4 goals by christmas, get injured then return in March and finish on 10 goals for the season.

Cue idiots saying "he aint had a full season etc"

Exactly the type of signing weve been making and wel wonder why we dont close the gap on the septics.

Please prove me wrong Rafa.
Smeg

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 17, 2007 10:35 am

Smeg wrote:Exactly the type of signing weve been making and wel wonder why we dont close the gap on the septics.

Who are the septics smeg  ???

:D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu May 17, 2007 2:04 pm

I'm not convinced Defoe is better. Bent played for a relegated side, Defoe played in a handy attacking team that scored as many goals as we did (in the league) And the chances are Charlatans may hold us to ransom but equally spudz are hardly going to let Defoe go for any less. They've already come out all defiant saying they're "not a selling club" and issuing hands off warnings over Burb-bat-off. Who would we want from this country?

Berbatov - quality, might costs too much if spudz would sell
Bent - scored goals two seasons in a row for a pretty ordinary side
Defoe - scores goals, if spudz don't want him then do we?
Rooney - so unlikely it's untrue
Saha - also unlikely
Drogba - highly unlikely
Johnson - would we want a blueshite?
Owen - injury a concern but might be the best option, proven quality when fit
Martins - might be tempted by CL football and stability at a club but is he good enough?
Doyle - maybe worth a punt for a reasonable price but is he good enough for what we want? (the title)
Viduka - isn't he getting on a bit? Price might be right, is the player?
Yakubu - worth considering
Henry - ha ha ha ha ha
Adebayor - does a cow's ar se and a banjo come free with that?
Tevez - might be pricey and if we land both controversial hammers there's bound to be comments from bitters

Have I missed anyone worth mention?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sarge » Thu May 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Owzat wrote:Have I missed anyone worth mention?

Heskey?

:D
Sarge

Postby NANNY RED » Thu May 17, 2007 6:35 pm

puroresu wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Even if he did stay at charlton his place would not be certain, not long ago they sighned a striker from non league football a lad called chris dickson he was outside the transfer deadline so hes been playing in the reserves and hes been banging the goals in he played with hasselbank as his strike partner a couple of week ago and scored 4. Ive seen him play aswell he played in the same team as my lad went for a trial and they sighned him , so Bent was on borrowed time anyway

I live in charlton as well.  That guy they signed from nonleague goes into my barbershop. He was at Dulwich Hamlets I think?

Yes he did play for dulwich not a bad player
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 17, 2007 7:07 pm

to be fair to bent he`s pacy, has a decent shot and is more than useful in the air and dont forget he`s even had a few run outs for england.
getting into the england side as a striker with performances for smaller club like a charlton as opposed to leading the line for chelsea or united takes some doing.
but for me it was those england performances and also the f.a quarter final against boro last season that gave rise to a few doubts about bent`s ability to handle pressure.
for england he did all the hard work losing his marker / going round him but crucially missed about 3 or 4 chances he would normally put away for charlton, same with the quarter final against boro, in a tight game he missed 2 great chances infact one came under the banner of an absolute sitter.
bent seems to freeze or snatch at chances the bigger the game gets, i have my doubts he is mentally strong enough to believe he should be there in the big time.
big players might not go round telling everyone how good they are but deep deep down they believe they are good enough to play at any level, other players may have all the natural ability in the world but are held back by nagging doubts of if they belong at this level.
thats what often seperates good players from great ones.
i`d sign him, but not for the type of fee`s being bandied about.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:10 pm

why henry - ha ha ha ha?

saying hes not that good?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu May 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Bent looks ok from what ive seen of him, but not worth the silly ammount Charlton would ask for him. For a couple of million or a swap deal i would take a chance

I would prefer Defoe if we could get him, prepared to shoot from anywhere any angle and his record compared to the number of minutes hes played must be pretty good ( im sure the stat freaks will let me know ) some say hes selfish but i think thats what we have been missing, but the same thing could go against him as he maybe doesnt work as hard as say Kuyt, i wanted him ahead of Bellamy, as for Spurs not being a " Selling Club" they said the same thing when they mugged M.U of 18million for Carrick
destro

Postby dawson99 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:30 pm

defoe is a poacher as well, which is what we really need. but i think darren bents got the strentgh to take that step up to a big club and show what he can do
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu May 17, 2007 7:45 pm

I became a stat freak just to compare the two.....

Player name:  Darren Bent
Date of birth:  06 February, 1984
Nationality:  English
Position:  Striker
Height:  1.80

This season
                         Apps  sub Goals Yellow Red
Total (Club)         35  (1)   15       1        0
League                32  (0)   13       1        0
FA Cup                 0   (0)   0        0        0
League Cup          3   (1)    2         0         0
European/Others   0   (0)    0        0        0