Darren bent - Good enough

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Prso's Massive Bandage » Tue May 15, 2007 4:57 pm

Nowhere near good enough for Liverpool. We should be aiming a lot higher than that, especially with the American money coming into the club.
Prso's Massive Bandage

Postby tubby » Tue May 15, 2007 5:56 pm

And to think Charlton wanted £20Mil for him last season.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:57 pm

Well I thought he had a blinder against our very strong defence on Sunday.  Obviously, our young keeper wasn't at all convincing for me and the overall tone of the game was obvious in the fact that we're waiting for the big one next week, but Bent looked top draw in the flesh the other day.  Charlton could have been three or four up at half time.

I'm not saying there isn't better out there who would do a job for us but I doubt he'll stay at Charlton for long anyway.
jonnymac1979

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 15, 2007 9:58 pm

Could he cope against all of the teams who like to play us with 10 men behind the ball?  Didn't think so.  Not what we need at all. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Emerald Red » Tue May 15, 2007 10:24 pm

I seriously fucking hope not! While we're at it, maybe we can sign back Owen and Heskey? Yeah, that'll be great! WTF like! We need WORLD FUCKIN' CLASS, not Darren Bent! He's a decent player, mind. But nowhere near what we want. If Rafa starts signing more turkey's, I'm seriously gonna be p*ssed.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby monkey 20 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:40 pm

[quote="Emerald Red"][/quote]
:no

dont think we should even be discussing this...it's out of the quetion...if we wanna win the league.

:sleep
monkey 20

Postby skipper » Tue May 15, 2007 11:29 pm

Bent is no doubt a pretty good player.  But to make him our top signing of the summer would not be good enough.  He's really not that top striker that we need for a title-contending side.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hunterz » Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 pm

You must be joking..we have alot of him here already..let others have it
hunterz

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 15, 2007 11:57 pm

Decent player who leads the line well, is good in the air, can obviously finish and is excellent when he has a ball to run onto. I reckon a lot of posters are rejecting him out of hand simply because he plays for Charlton? But i agree he wouldn't be the same player against teams that sit back and he is not so good playing with his back to goal. Probaly would have done alright in one of Ged's teams but in this current set-up, not a chance.

Am a bit worried his performance might have caught the boss's eye on sunday though :oh:
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue May 15, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Wed May 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Whats wrong with Darren Bent?  ???

I know he's not up there in star quality with your Villa's, Eto'o's and Torres of this world but he is a good footballer.

I have only seen him live fleetlingly, but when I have I have to say he has not done much wrong. Just because he plays for a small team and doesn't have a vowel at the end of his name, does not make him a bad player.

If would be nice to see a bit more English backbone in our squad as well.

If Rafa went for Bent, I would be very happy.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed May 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Yes I've got to say I think one or two are being very unfair on the Charlton man. I've seen him live a few times and he's quick, strong and brave as well as being a good leader of the line. I would personally have no bother signing him but it would make our attack a bit samey. If for instance we were getting rid of crouch or Kuyt, (which I wouldn't do either) I could understand it, but if not then i can't see it happening.

Those that slag him off probably said the same about Saha and he's no mug. Iain Wright wasn't bad either out of a very ordinary Crystal Palace side. There are good players who can make the step up. It probably won't be with us but Bent probablycould too. He is for instance a far better player than Emile Heskey ever was or will be in my view.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Wed May 16, 2007 12:34 pm

hmm...i think i'd rather go for jermaine defoe....
Elchris

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:44 pm

bigmick wrote:Yes I've got to say I think one or two are being very unfair on the Charlton man. I've seen him live a few times and he's quick, strong and brave as well as being a good leader of the line. I would personally have no bother signing him but it would make our attack a bit samey. If for instance we were getting rid of crouch or Kuyt, (which I wouldn't do either) I could understand it, but if not then i can't see it happening.

Those that slag him off probably said the same about Saha and he's no mug. Iain Wright wasn't bad either out of a very ordinary Crystal Palace side. There are good players who can make the step up. It probably won't be with us but Bent probablycould too. He is for instance a far better player than Emile Heskey ever was or will be in my view.

Very fair comments there Mick and very good point about Ian Wright. I agree that some peoples opinions of Bent may be clouded by the fact that he comes from a 'small' team. Admittedly I haven't seen that much of him this season but as I said earlier in the thread as our MAIN striking option/signing this summer I just don't think he's the right person. Should we get rid of another 2 (on top of Fowler going) then I'd say give him a shot, but as we are only expecting one more striker to come in after Voronin then I just don't think he's the right guy.
We are after somebody who can virtually guarantee bags of goals pretty much immediately and I just don't have the confidence to think that Bent could produce under that kind of expectation.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed May 16, 2007 12:48 pm

Well Bent seems to be able to do it in the Premiership which is good to know. Can the same be said about Eto or Villa?

Dont get me wrong I would love to get Villa but we all know what happened with Morientes!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 16, 2007 12:49 pm

he'll end up at newcastle, put your money on it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill