Darren bent? - Because eto has said no

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:06 am

On Radio City this morning they are reporting that Darren Bent from recently relegated Charlton has become the Reds number one target after Eto confirmed he wants to stay at Barcelona.

This is so dissapointing, Bent is a decent player but how can he be our No 1 target. You cannot compare Eto and Bent.

What happened to chasing the worlds best players??
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:10 am

I must admit it's got me worried.

He scores a few for Charlton playing off the shoulder of the last man, and relies on his pace to get in behind quite a bit from what I have seen.

Just when he'd get that kind of space and time playing for us against deep-lying defences beats me.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:32 am

As I said I don't think he is a bad player, but surely we need a player who has more than just pace?  I think your right Lando, teams play so much deeper against us, especially at home.  has he got in his locker that extra something?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby bigmick » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:57 am

If we are to sign Bent, though I'll be disappointed that he is the limit of our ambition I very much hope we keep Bellamy. Bent is a good player in my opinion as I've stated previously. I've watched him play on a number of occasions and he's quick, strong and willing and far better in the air than he at first looks. He would be a far better player for instance than Emile Heskey ever was so all is not lost, but like I say I hope we keep Bellamy because Bent and Voronin for Bellamy and Fowler doesn't feel like we are going forward much.

Also it must be considered how he would fit with our other strikers. I wouldn't have thought that Bent/Crouch is much of an option, while I guess if Kuyt manages to step up on his first season into a Berkampesque deep lying front man he and Bent could make a go of it. Bellamy though would fit well with Bent. They're both pacey, Bent likes to play right up whereas Bellamy can drop in between the lines and link the play. If we were to go for the added bonus of not asking Bellamy to play on the wing and leaving him to roam more centrally, it would probably work quite well with him and Bent. I suspect Curbishley probably has a similar plan in mind for the Welshman to play with Marlon Harewood and on the odd occasion that he's fit, Dean Ashton.

All that said, I would have thought that we should be aiming a tad higher than the Charlton man and in truth I suspect we are.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:22 am

I said all along that IMO we should go for either english players or players who have premiership experience. Owen, Defoe or Tevez would of been my first choice if that is the route we are going to go down, im not to sure about Bent but then again i didnt see much of Charltons games.

I dont think we can afford to fall behind the top two,we need to get off to a flier and un-proven (premiership ) players could of held us back while they settled,then again they could of blended straight in,who knows

It wouldnt be the end of the world if we signed Bent , but i would not pay the supposed 20 million fo him. I wanted us to send a clear message out to the rest of the rest of the prem that we are going to be challenging all the way next season on and off the pitch, for me Bent does not relay that message as much as  maybe an Eto,Quaresma,Villa etc,etc would

We were never going to match the silly money of Chelsea or even Man U, but i didnt expect us to be settling for another season of second best. Its still early days in the transfer period and im hoping that one or two big names will still arrive :)
destro

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:09 pm

dont u think gary mcsheffrey from birmingham would be a good option?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Elchris » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:16 pm

what's more scary is that the name diego forlan being linked with us.... :(
Elchris

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:22 pm

I really dont see how Eto could of been a target but as that cant happen we then go for Bent.  If not Eto why not someone else world class?  Bent will be expensive and while he is a good player its no different from the signings of kuyt and bellamy last season.  Charlton got relegated but I dont think that means Bent will go for cheap.  They said they turned down £15 + mil in Jan and will only sell for the right price.  To me thats more than £10 mil and I wonder is it worth it?  Do we really have the money to buy the WC players?
puroresu

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:00 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:dont u think gary mcsheffrey from birmingham would be a good option?

well that took my min off the bent issue for a few minutes  :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:23 pm

I will be extremly pissed off if we sign Darren bent.
Bellamys better than him for a start, and if we are buying a new striker we must buy a world class one otherwise we will be fighting for 3rd 4th again.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:46 pm

Again this is just media speculation with no concrete evidence from either club that we are trying to sign Bent. I'd go along with the general consensus on here that him being our main striking target is hugely disappointing, even without the names of Eto'o, Tevez, Henry & Villa being linked to us.

As a player Bent is decent but for a team trying to make a serious challenge for the title next season I just don't see us doing that with him. His goal return in the premiership isn't bad - 18 goals being his best league return from 36 games. As bigmick pointed out he's done well playing off the shoulder of the last man which would more than likely be nullified with teams against us sitting very deep. On the flip side he would have a lot more chances to feed off with our creativity and with having a good eye for the goal he may just benefit from our better quality team.

Come on Rafa you can do better than Darren Bent.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby robbo95 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:34 pm

no i would still have owen back proven, but what do i know, it's down to rafa, swallow the prade and get him back!! 9mill we got that for him so we are not losin out!!!
bent is not world class owen is! and still only 27
robbo95

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:45 pm

dawson99 wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:dont u think gary mcsheffrey from birmingham would be a good option?

well that took my min off the bent issue for a few minutes  :p

lol. but he's pretty good aint he? i reckon he could cut it. or james beattie? lol. kidding.
on a more serious note...ehem...i still think zlatan muslimovic would be a good buy.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Redrulz(lfc) » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:52 pm

i know that bent will not help us in going up:angry:
Redrulz(lfc)

Postby matrix » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:37 am

Darren bent...

no chance just the press again...

i still say...   tevez, torres, or eto, 

about eto   after barcalona's  last game  eto will make a statement on his future... 

once the spanish season ends  the market will ignite...   hopefully we will have malouda on board by then...   because believe me when i say malouda is a massive signing for us...

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill