The premiership - How does it rate?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:36 pm

I keep hearing people talking about the premiership being the best domestic league in the world but in all fairness I just don't see it. The gulf between the elite and the rest is just firghtening. Don't get me wrong- we have some fantastic world class players in this country and some of the matches take the breath away for pure entertainment value. However in terms of technical ability and skill you cannot beat la liga. I love the premiership but in all fairness the standard of defending is so poor that it is very unlikely that an english team will win the champions league in the next couple of years. Which league do you rate best?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:21 pm

You need to compare the teams within the league and against their European counterparts. We fare badly in both comparisons in my opinion.
An easy and quick comparison would be on how our teams fared in the UEFA Cup - teams like Man City went out to teams from weak European leagues
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:26 pm

fair point. we realistically won't win the uefa this year with the likes of valencia and roma hanging around anyway. they thumped juve 4-0 on sunday.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:34 pm

manu - struggle in Europe when it gets to the crunch knock-out phase
Arsenal - have struggled in the Champions League
Chelski - keep losing to the likes of Viking Stavanger, St Gallen and that Israeli side (Tel Aviv or Maccabi Haifa)

All the other sides have inconsistent appearances and fortunes in Europe
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:42 pm

man u losing rio has ended their hopes. their defence just won't cut it this year. arsenal had 1 good result away at inter but still rely far too much on Henry to score their goals. and as for chelsea, i don't think ranieri even knows what team is going to play every match. the trophies heading back to italy because ultimately they've got the best defences.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Their defence was shocking last year against Real, even though manc fans like to think it was a close contest. They haven't been a threat in Europe since Stam went IMO and won't be until they buy quality defenders not waste £millions on over-rated midfielders
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion