The Unofficial 'officials' thread - Rate the ref - all ref talk in here

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Sabre wrote:Interesting article Bob, but it rises a question in my mind.

If the reputation of that ref was so well known, what the fúck was he doing refereeing one of the most difficult matches in the premiership? ???

In Spain there was a lot of controversy about which ref got which match, at the end a Salomonic decission was taken, it would be picked randomly by a computer -- the controversy didn't stop, people said the program that picked the refs was not fair nor random. :D

If the refs are chosen by the FA, and the reputation of the ref is well known, I don't know how they pick a ref like that for that match. In finals of international competitions, the best are chosen. So it should be in a Manchester United - Liverpool.

That is the key question, mate.  How the feck did Bennett get assigned this match at all?  Hopefully those questions will be asked of the FA but somehow I doubt it.  From my other posts you might get the impression that I believe Steve Bennett was completely in the right over the incident.  That's certainly not the case, though--I think it's quite clear he had an agenda yesterday and Mascherano provided him with exactly the kind of ammunition he needed.  What frustrates me is that Mascherano should have seen the writing in the wall and kept well out of it.  Of course, we know that's not his style but hopefully he'll have learned a big lesson from this incident about when to walk away.  It kind of reminds me of Stevie's sending off early in the derby a couple of years back.  That incident has helped make him a much more mature player and a much more cagey customer (in a good way) when dealing with referees, IMO.  I expect we'll see something similar from our Masch. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Bad Bob wrote:That is the key question, mate.  How the feck did Bennett get assigned this match at all? 

I said the same as soon as I heard the appointment Bob. I've seen refs get relegated to the lower leagues in the past few weeks for poor performances. To my mind, Steve Bennett should never have been given this match, especially after his dire performance in the recent Villa-Boro game when he gave the most ludicrous penalty I've seen in years.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised though. The guy's never been one of my favourites, ever since he sent Alono off at Arsenal a few seasons back for slipping over into a fellow player.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 pm

stmichael wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:That is the key question, mate.  How the feck did Bennett get assigned this match at all? 

I said the same as soon as I heard the appointment Bob. I've seen refs get relegated to the lower leagues in the past few weeks for poor performances. To my mind, Steve Bennett should never have been given this match, especially after his dire performance in the recent Villa-Boro game when he gave the most ludicrous penalty I've seen in years.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised though. The guy's never been one of my favourites, ever since he sent Alono off at Arsenal a few seasons back for slipping over into a fellow player.

That was him as well, wasn't it?  Disgraceful. :no

Well, the FA can make up for it by giving us Mark Clattenburg for the derby again. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:48 pm

bennett is a cun.t off the highest order and after him is Rob styles who screwed us outta of a win against chelsea
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Well, the FA can make up for it by giving us Mark Clattenburg for the derby again. :D

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:57 pm

seriously, you couldn't make this up

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol....944.ece
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:16 am

Refs all say they don't wish to be in the spotlight, that's why they are always on camera outside of footy.

Poll has wrote a book, he writes for a newspaper and was doing so when he was ref...why?

Going back to the 70s, I couldn't name you one ref, now I know more refs than I do Bolton players. They're desperate to be celebraties.

There is are two good refs IMO (clattenburg and not because of the derby and Lee Mason.)
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:54 am

The single official that I ABSOLUTELY abhor with a passion was Uriah Rennie.

Whenever he was on, he needed the spotlight... It doesn't matter who's playing.... It could be the 1970s Brazillian team vs the 1998 French team... the next day's headline would still be "URIAH RENNIE - In the spotlight once again".

Real TURD of a referee.
ConnO'var

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:55 pm

ConnO'var wrote:The single official that I ABSOLUTELY abhor with a passion was Uriah Rennie.

Whenever he was on, he needed the spotlight... It doesn't matter who's playing.... It could be the 1970s Brazillian team vs the 1998 French team... the next day's headline would still be "URIAH RENNIE - In the spotlight once again".

Real TURD of a referee.

I remember Rennie refereeing a match between us and Leicester and Leicester's centre half Matt Elliott elbowed Michael Owen and knocked Owen out and Rennie didn't even book Elliott.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:54 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:The single official that I ABSOLUTELY abhor with a passion was Uriah Rennie.

Real TURD of a referee.

I remember Rennie refereeing a match between us and Leicester and Leicester's centre half Matt Elliott elbowed Michael Owen and knocked Owen out and Rennie didn't even book Elliott.

I rmember that match too..... How on earth he concluded that it wasn't a bookable offense, I'll never know.

:no
ConnO'var

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:29 pm

With regards to bellendtt. Came across this forum.

Liverpool Way.

Now im not saying I agree with the way they are suggesting that refs are corrupt but with regards to Man Utd, I honestly cannot remember the last game Liverpool played at old trafford that was refereed in a fair way. A way that the referee is consistent in his attitude towards both clubs. Now im not making excuses for liverpool, a few times we have turned up there and just cannot do the basics like pass to a team mate, and utd do look more hungry to win these games then we do but for crying out loud why does the referee always makes things worse by constantly frustrating us by giving daft decisions against us? Liverpool are by no means a dirty team look at owen and hyypia not dirty players but both sent off when it comes to utd. This isnt an excuse as to why our record isnt great there its a fact, we always get the worst of the refs when we play there.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:46 am

good to see rob styles back on form again. unbelievable.

that penalty he gave birmingham was a joke and yet it still wasn't as bad as the one he gave chelsea against us earlier in the season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:49 pm

I'll give credit where its due to Mr Webb yesterday. I thought he had an accomplished enough performance.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:59 pm

that ref we had yesterday against arsenal had a great hour then went to pot.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:43 am

The ref was dutch, what did you expect ?   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion