The Unofficial 'officials' thread - Rate the ref - all ref talk in here

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:27 am

aye, those dutch refs on class C drugs, pah ! :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Wiley yesterday was easily the worst ref we have had this season, and that's saying something.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:56 pm

stmichael wrote:Wiley yesterday was easily the worst ref we have had this season, and that's saying something.

After all the debate about the decisions that supposedly went our way in the Arsenal trilogy it was almost as if he was trying to prove that the "Refs Union" don't really favor Liverpool. Something most Liverpool fans have known for years anyway, we just don't cry about it as much as other clubs.

Some of his decisions in this game were farcical.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:33 pm

..including stevies dive and skyrtels possible red card. didnt exactly all go against us
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:22 pm

stmichael wrote:Wiley yesterday was easily the worst ref we have had this season, and that's saying something.

Worse than Bennett and Styles?  You're having a laugh!  ???  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:23 pm

dawson99 wrote:..including stevies dive and skyrtels possible red card. didnt exactly all go against us

Too true.  Anyway, we managed to win just fine without any extra help from the ref so I'm not that bothered, TBPH.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:10 pm

dawson99 wrote:..including stevies dive and skyrtels possible red card. didnt exactly all go against us

Disagree on the dive Dawsino , sure stevie was looking for it , but there was contact , Friedel got lucky , could have been a pen and a red card. Agree that Skrtel got lucky but again so did Robertson climbed all over Gerrards back and brought him down just outside the area , again a free kick and a red card would not have been unreasonable.  :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:17 pm

woof woof ! wrote:

Disagree on the dive Dawsino , sure stevie was looking for it , but there was contact , Friedel got lucky , could have been a pen and a red card. Agree that Skrtel got lucky but again so did Robertson climbed all over Gerrards back and brought him down just outside the area , again a free kick and a red card would not have been unreasonable.  :kungfu:

I thought it was a bit of a dive myself, Woof.  It looked to me like Gerrard went airborne before the contact and that he stuck his toe out to connect with Friedal.  That said, there was contact and I've seen them given.  On the other incident, I completely agree that a free kick in the "D" and a booking were in order for the push on Gerrard.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:31 pm

It would have had to be a red card Bob, as their was no covering player. Skrtle was lucky that we had (arguably) cover when he committed his foul. I thought the ref let Blckburn get away with much to much physical stuff yesterday. I also believe that Torres isn't being protected as he would be if he was English. I think a lot of refs go along with the "welcome to the prem" cr@p that is dished out by some defenders.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:17 pm

s@int wrote:It would have had to be a red card Bob, as their was no covering player. Skrtle was lucky that we had (arguably) cover when he committed his foul. I thought the ref let Blckburn get away with much to much physical stuff yesterday. I also believe that Torres isn't being protected as he would be if he was English. I think a lot of refs go along with the "welcome to the prem" cr@p that is dished out by some defenders.

Is that "last man" rule ironclad or is there room for ref discretion?  Not trying to defend, Samba, BTW...just curious.  In any event, I thought it was a card-worthy foul and that was Wiley's big mistake against us (with the Skrtel incident at the other end being Blackburn's big gripe, no doubt).  Your point about the lack of protection for Torres is a good one, though.  We saw it yesterday, we saw it at Old Trafford, we saw it with Reading a couple of times this season....  What I loved about yesterday was that Wiley refused to blow his whistle following a blatant shove against Torres.  So what does Torres do?  Get back on his feet and cooly head the ball into the bottom corner on the back of the same play. Great response from the lad! :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:It would have had to be a red card Bob, as their was no covering player. Skrtle was lucky that we had (arguably) cover when he committed his foul. I thought the ref let Blckburn get away with much to much physical stuff yesterday. I also believe that Torres isn't being protected as he would be if he was English. I think a lot of refs go along with the "welcome to the prem" cr@p that is dished out by some defenders.

Is that "last man" rule ironclad or is there room for ref discretion?  Not trying to defend, Samba, BTW...just curious.  In any event, I thought it was a card-worthy foul and that was Wiley's big mistake against us (with the Skrtel incident at the other end being Blackburn's big gripe, no doubt).  Your point about the lack of protection for Torres is a good one, though.  We saw it yesterday, we saw it at Old Trafford, we saw it with Reading a couple of times this season....  What I loved about yesterday was that Wiley refused to blow his whistle following a blatant shove against Torres.  So what does Torres do?  Get back on his feet and cooly head the ball into the bottom corner on the back of the same play. Great response from the lad! :nod

A ref has no discretion if its the last man Bob, the only arguement is whether another defender could have got back i.e. when Gerrard was brought down in the CL Final it could be argued that Cafu could have got there. As there was no chance of another defender getting there yesterday, if the ref had given the foul, he would have had to give a red card as well.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:42 pm

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

A ref has no discretion if its the last man Bob, the only arguement is whether another defender could have got back i.e. when Gerrard was brought down in the CL Final it could be argued that Cafu could have got there. As there was no chance of another defender getting there yesterday, if the ref had given the foul, he would have had to give a red card as well.

Ta, Saint.  Thought that was the case but after reading a few "Ref365" columns over on footy365, I've started to wonder how many rules are as clear cut as we are led to believe. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:00 pm

nice to see chelsea and united players screaming in the refs face on saturday and most of them not getting booked.

hargreaves got a yellow and told the ref to "f#ck off". mind you i suppose that's not as bad as mascherano asking the ref what was going on.

:no
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:18 pm

stmichael wrote:nice to see chelsea and united players screaming in the refs face on saturday and most of them not getting booked.

hargreaves got a yellow and told the ref to "f#ck off". mind you i suppose that's not as bad as mascherano asking the ref what was going on.

:no

Hargreaves is Canadian, though, mate.  Even when we curse at someone it comes across as polite. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Judge » Tue May 13, 2008 1:07 pm

wel done to steve bennett :angry:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion