Raul Meireles - Rent Boy Mark II

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Another massive transfer window. Deadline deals, transfer requests and another Red wanting to join Chelsea. Fernando Torres part 2? Well, not exactly. Not as far as I am concerned.

January was a different story. We were coming out of the dark times, not out of them yet. We needed support from the players to pull us out of there. We needed the stars, who we idolized, to stick with us, support us. Not turn their backs on us. We wanted them to believe in the project. But someone got cold feet. He was worried about his age and he wanted to play 6 or 8 mid-week games in a year more. So be it. We know how well that turned out.

Raul is different case. He wasn’t an assured starter after our summer signings. Our squad is at it’s strongest in quite sometime now. He was never assured of his preferred CAM role and now with Bellamy and Henderson coming in, and Kuyt still giving Energizer bunnies the complex, Raul’s stay would have been mostly on the bench if not in the stands. Raul is another 29-30 year old who, may be, desires to play a few Champions League games. He wasn’t getting them here this year. Next year, chances for him to make the squad would be slimmer than they would have been this year (he would have been older and other who would have started before him most of the games and would have helped us qualify would have confirmed their position in the pecking order). Although he did quite a lot for us last year, but this season the above scenario looks similar to that of Joe Cole’s. Well, in that case, we should have sold Raul to a club similar to Lille, read: smaller? But, haven’t we? If a player, in search of first team football, has to go to another club, what would it say about the other club?

If we were to finish below Chelsea this year, I would be very very disappointed!

Raul, your pinger against Wolves was one of the better memories of last year. You were with us when we were having the worst of our times and one of those who stood out. Thank you and farewell! :cool: 

FROM EMPIRE OF THE KOP
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby shanks » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 pm

i wished we stuck our necks out and  asked for a straight swap Meireles for Sturridge now that would of been a good deal.
Last edited by shanks on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmy brighton » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 pm

red till i die!! wrote:anyway why the fook are we strenghtening the chavs.

We aint mate. I don't think Meireles is any better than what they've already got. The home fixture against the Chavs last season Torres came to life and scored two good goals against them. Come the January transfer window they gave us 50 million quid for a striker who'd been below his best for a season and a half. Then, when we go to Stamford Bridge. Meireles pops up with the winner and now look. I just wish Poulsen had got a hatrick against them and we'd be laughing never mind rich beyond our dreams :D
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Asking for a transfer request was probably part of the deal to avoid us paying him money, he was one of our very few top class players, and we will see the best of him, but in a fcking blue shirt. I think the clowns calling him bit part have the memory of a goldfish, the guys best games were under Kenny and that was when we played a more offensive style which suited his play, a style of play that we all should hope for going forward. I think he may have stayed if we bothered to pay him the going rate and told him he is staying and part of our plans.

It's simple if you open your eyes; our best player is Suarez, and the only players on his wavelength are maxi, meireles, gerrard and possibly downing.

It's clear we've weakened ourselves and strengthened Chelsea, a direct rival.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:54 am

i am still shocked that we sold him, I think he is a great player and i am bit gutted he has gone to them.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:47 pm

redtrader74 wrote:Asking for a transfer request was probably part of the deal to avoid us paying him money, he was one of our very few top class players, and we will see the best of him, but in a fcking blue shirt. I think the clowns calling him bit part have the memory of a goldfish, the guys best games were under Kenny and that was when we played a more offensive style which suited his play, a style of play that we all should hope for going forward. I think he may have stayed if we bothered to pay him the going rate and told him he is staying and part of our plans.

It's simple if you open your eyes; our best player is Suarez, and the only players on his wavelength are maxi, meireles, gerrard and possibly downing.

He wanted to go
Hes gone
We carry on
Thommo's perm

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:34 pm

redtrader74 wrote:Asking for a transfer request was probably part of the deal to avoid us paying him money, he was one of our very few top class players, and we will see the best of him, but in a fcking blue shirt. I think the clowns calling him bit part have the memory of a goldfish, the guys best games were under Kenny and that was when we played a more offensive style which suited his play, a style of play that we all should hope for going forward. I think he may have stayed if we bothered to pay him the going rate and told him he is staying and part of our plans.

I dont think Merieles is as good as you do, so I am not really surprised he has gone.

He struggled past 60 mins in every game he played for us.

He was a little lightweight, he couldnt tackle to save his life

Offensively he was pretty good, but he rarely grabbed a game and made something happen.

I always thought he was neat and tidy, but he never set the world alight.  He was a good squad player and he will be missed, but he is nowhere near the standard of Suarez and Gerrard (not sure you meant with Maxi as I am not that impressed with him either).

Im not sure we will miss him that much and I just cant believe he is really going to strengthen Chelsea, he will just be earning more money warming their bench rather than ours.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby lakes10 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:35 pm

i heard the request was a trigger that had to happen for him to be able to leave the club as it was in his contract and this trigger has been put in place for lots of players over the last year. players ask for this so they dont get stuck at a club they wish to leave and end up sitting on a bench untill the end of the contract...................but i am sure its to do with money aswell.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Ummm... I think your rate him a bit too much .. and are you serious about us weakening our selves?

are ya Kenny Dalglish  :lookaround
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:

It's simple if you open your eyes; our best player is Suarez, and the
only players on his wavelength are maxi, meireles, gerrard and possibly downing.

I dont think Merieles is as good as you do, so I am not really surprised he has gone.
He struggled past 60 mins in every game he played for us.

He was a little lightweight, he couldnt tackle to save his life

Offensively he was pretty good, but he rarely grabbed a game and made something happen.

I always thought he was neat and tidy, but he never set the world alight.  He was a good squad player and he will be missed, but he is
nowhere near the standard of Suarez and Gerrard (not sure you meant with Maxi as I am not that impressed with him either).

Im not sure we will miss him that much and I just cant believe he is really going to strengthen Chelsea, he will just be earning more money
warming their bench rather than ours.

Im not saying that he's the best player in the squad, but was one of few who is on the same wavelength as Suarez, he linked up really well with him, and therefore would have been an excellent asset not only for his own football ability, but also by helping to get more out of Suarez, our best player. This, IMO also applies to maxi, but not to Carroll, not quick footed enough, or to Bellamy, too selfish and not too bright.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:33 pm

zarababe wrote:Ummm... I think your rate him a bit too much .. and are you serious about us weakening our selves?

are ya Kenny Dalglish  :lookaround

We've lost a good player, everyone pretty much agrees on that, and therefore we have weakened our squad, it's a simple equation.

I know the regard Kenny is held in as much as any supporter, but that does not mean his decisions cannot be criticised. he may have left anyway, but to pay him £30k a week when we are still paying Cole more than that and can't  use him was a mistake.

Anyhow he's gone, onwards an upwards.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Loosing a good player does not mean wekaening our squad if the loss can be absorbed

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Not sure you get the concept there zb, if we lose a player that contributes and has good ability, seems to ge on well with team mates then our squad will be weaker, we may be able to cope, but we are still weaker.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:42 pm

.. by what measure - he's body language at Exeter was suspicious and I thought it was odd that he was less than 'huggy' with Suarez, when they combined.
'
He looked unhappy at being on the bench; all summer he was being linked with other clubs, frankly I think Kenny was prepared to let him go becasue it would not 'weaken' the side.

I'm really surprised- I've heard Bluenoses reckon that the loss of Arteta has not weakened their side ... and after all our signings, we lose a player who has played his part but is no way a suarez, gerrard or even kuyt, and all of a sudden we are 'weaker' - he's loss has been off-set by the excellent signings

I'm not worried - the club is focused on achieving sucess and after all this invetsment, Meriless would not have been linked alla summer with a move away from the club, unless the club did not want him to go.. we r not a selling club anymore .. that has been proven !

Any how time will tell - we are all on the same wavelenghth here.. continued success for our beloved REDS!

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:55 pm

zarababe wrote:I'm really surprised- I've heard Bluenoses reckon that the loss of Arteta has not weakened their side ... and after all our signings, we lose a player who has played his part but is no way a suarez, gerrard or even kuyt, and all of a sudden we are 'weaker' - he's loss has been off-set by the excellent signings

I'm not worried - the club is focused on achieving sucess and after all this invetsment, Meriless would not have been linked alla summer with a move away from the club, unless the club did not want him to go.. we r not a selling club anymore .. that has been proven !

Any how time will tell - we are all on the same wavelenghth here.. continued success for our beloved REDS!

The thing is that it was a long time since Arteta was any good so I think they did a good deal. Arteta is going to do a Torres on Arsenal I think.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion