Houllier

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Sweden is a major league title now is it ? Where does it rank ? On par with the prem , serie a or La liga ( the three leagues which house all the best footballers in the world ) or on par with Holland , Portugal or maybe Scotland , Belguim , Norway and Denmark - which group would you put Sweden into ?

I think hes saying it is in Sweden. I think hes trying to say something positive about our manager... maybe you should give it a go ;)

Ill be positive when i see something to be positive mate

Rafas gone
Dont you think thats positive?
Thommo's perm

Postby ethanr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:41 pm

I would probably be a bit embarrassed too if the couple years after I "left", the club had good success.

What do you expect? he's French  :D
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:00 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I think what people have to realize that this man is now manager of Liverpool Football Club, regardless if some feel he doesn't warrant the job, or if posters genuinely felt him to be an outstanding candidate ...it now makes little difference.... we should afford him a large swell of support simply for the position he now holds ....
It seems apparent that while Roy is gaining some trust amongst supporters with his honest and candid approach to interviews,  he is also giving fuel to the doubters with his style of play ....which if I am honest he has not had time to evolve ,but going by the posts on this forum it seems obvious some wish him success more than others......and here we have the crux of the problem on the other side of the divide  we have the posters positively  eulogizing about the little time he has been at Liverpool and literally going ott in their praise of his acumen and tactical nous, which I might add I have often praised myself because the mans name is respected as such all over Europe ..... but that said I just feel the overtly extravagant praise is simply being used to antagonise.... because  somewhere people we have to meet in the middle...... Roy is the manager and our job is the same as its been for years to support without question ....regardless of the Clubs politics that rage behind the scenes ...... so perhaps taking that on board both sides could all agree to back of a touch  ...those who are overwhelmingly unstinting in their praise and those that afford him little respect .....both could do with taking it down a notch otherwise it just comes across as slightly false .....

I think you´re largely preaching to the converted mate, I dont think in reality there are many, if any, anti-Woys. I believe even those who dont particularly like him realise he's here so let him get on with the job because theres nowt anyone can do.

Theres a ballsy comment in todays daily Post by Woy, see the link below but basically "Liverpool FC co-owners mean my job is damage limitation, says Roy Hodgson"

'ROY HODGSON admits his main job at Liverpool will be damage limitation until co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks leave the club.  etc..'

If I were the owners I'd be furious if the manager made a comment like that. I susepct that if Rafa had made it, the press wouldnt be supporting him but knives and guns out for the guy. The manager openly wishing the owners out the sooner the better when we know they're still trying to remortgage etc...? WTF ?! has Purslow hauled him in yet yet?

The point is though, 'damage limitation...' = dont lose your best players, bring in temporary freebies, loan/sell the dead wood ...... and bring in an aged manager?

Where does Woy fit into all this? I mean its pretty unsettling for everyone including the manager surely?

Daily Post
Last edited by Reg on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby haps » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Find it hilarious that a topic about Houllier has attracted over 160 posts.  Which i've just added to.  :D

What is there to say?  Should I start a thread about another team's manager?  Who cares?  Its' chucking down here by the way.  Still, Mad Men's back on the box tonight.  Seriously people - you need to try those Tesco finest soups, a very cheap and filling lunch.  But get a roll with it or it won't be enough.  I've used up all my holiday days for this year already.
haps

Postby fivecups » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:04 pm

bigmick wrote:I think it's funny to be honest I really do. I've spent three seasons on here hearing how we have a tactical genius at the helm when we win a match, but discovering "it's the owners" when we lose one. I've learnt that if you buy a bloke for 20 million quid and sell him for 12, you're only out of pocket by 1 million. I've also learnt that when the said player turned out to be rubbish, the manager never wanted to buy him in the first place. I've learnt that trying to sell Alonso for 16 million wasn't the managers fault, and then the p!ssing off of the player to the extent where he wants away wasn't his fault either. I've learnt that buying an Italian midfielder who's injured and isn't upto it (for 20 million quid) is the medical staffs fault, and doesn't matter in any case because the fee is made up of "add ons".

Well I'm sticking with the middle-of-the-road posse, time will tell which group of those who've recently swapped shirts, get it right; maybe it'll be neither, and sometime in the future there'll be passionate Newkit arguements about whether Roy was a success or not. I'm happy Roys here, he's done well so far and I hope he continues to do so. He has my support.

The problem with having extreme views is that you have to go to extreme lengths to justify your stance. Some recent posts have argued the Man City loss wasn't Roys fault, it was Mascheranos. On top of that, it wasn't Roys fault that Mascherano left (it was Rafa's or Purslows or the clubs) but it was to Roys great credit that Gerrard and Torres stayed (and definitely not the clubs or Purslows). And despite the fact that Mascheranos leaving wasn't Roys fault it is to Roys credit that we ended up in profit over this transfer window - how does that work?

On Newkit - Trabzonspor are either world class or absolute rubbish; the West Brom win was either a disgraceful home performance or a battling 1-0 victory, which we would have lost last season, Konchesky should either be retired or is going to be a revelation; black is black or it's most certainly white. There's got to be some middle ground.
Last edited by fivecups on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:11 pm

So lets get this straight so I don't get the wrong end of the stick. You're not allowed to "over praise" the manager on a Liverpool forum, because it winds some Liverpool supporters up :laugh: You are though allowed to call the Liverpool manager a "fecking sh!t manager" on that same forum, and if people don't like it then b0ll0cks to them, you're only being honest after all.

Further, if someone says the manager has never won feck all in 20 years, and you point out that in actual fact for many of those years he was managing at International level, and in seven of those years he won the domestic Championship he was playing in, you are talking sh!t.

If someone says we are playing cr@p (because of the manager obviously) and you point out that we have won five of our first seven matches, if you don't add in the rider "but all of the teams we've played so far have been sh!t/understrength" then you are on a wind up.

I say it again to those who spent three seasons denying the SKY was blue and have spent the last six months telling us how lucky we were to have a bloke managing us who could get us up into 7th, get used to it when somebody praises up Roy. If I want to praise the manager up, I will. If I want to point out one or two facts while people are busy slashing their wrists, I will. If I think Paul Konchesky is a sensible signing, I will say so. If people don't like, then tough, put me on ignore.

The sooner people on this forum accept the fact that everyone is entitled to their own point of view the better. I fully accept their right to mourn the loss of the previous manager and to bemoan the reign of the new one before it's started, it is entirely their privilage. Equally, it was my privilage to lose faith in the previous manager before it became obvious to anyone with their eyes open that he had completely lost the plot. It is also my privilage to have some faith in the new manager and to stick up for him. Like I say, sorry if it offends but there it is.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Reg wrote:I think you´re largely preaching to the converted mate, I dont think in reality there are many, if any, anti-Woys. I believe even those who dont particularly like him realise he's here so let him get on with the job because theres nowt anyone can do.

Theres a ballsy comment in todays daily Post by Woy, see the link below but basically "Liverpool FC co-owners mean my job is damage limitation, says Roy Hodgson"

'ROY HODGSON admits his main job at Liverpool will be damage limitation until co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks leave the club.  etc..'

If I were the owners I'd be furious if the manager made a comment like that. I susepct that if Rafa had made it, the press wouldnt be supporting him but knives and guns out for the guy. The manager openly wishing the owners out the sooner the better when we know they're still trying to remortgage etc...? WTF ?! has Purslow hauled him in yet yet?

The point is though, 'damage limitation...' = dont lose your best players, bring in temporary freebies, loan/sell the dead wood ...... and bring in an aged manager?

Where does Woy fit into all this? I mean its pretty unsettling for everyone including the manager surely?

Daily Post

I posted the same in the Hodgson thread yesterday quoted from the Echo ... its a telling piece mate ,but we all knew deep down it was going to be a difficult marriage for the manager that eventually got the job .... I am however glad the manager has been audible in his condemnation of  our despicable owners ,because it  gives him a kind of  affinity with the fans .... 
Listen mate I don't think I am preaching to the converted as such .....We all support Liverpool ...We all support the manager
that much is a given ,so why cant we take that as gospel and move on .... there shouldn't exist two contrasting extremes when it comes to getting behind the team and its manager ....about Tactics and formations and players YES but not when something is irrefutable and for the time being " set in stone " and that is  the current Manager of Liverpool Football Club is Roy Hodgson ........We get behind the team ,,,we get behind him
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:33 pm

bigmick wrote:So lets get this straight so I don't get the wrong end of the stick. You're not allowed to "over praise" the manager on a Liverpool forum, because it winds some Liverpool supporters up :laugh: You are though allowed to call the Liverpool manager a "fecking sh!t manager" on that same forum, and if people don't like it then b0ll0cks to them, you're only being honest after all.

Further, if someone says the manager has never won feck all in 20 years, and you point out that in actual fact for many of those years he was managing at International level, and in seven of those years he won the domestic Championship he was playing in, you are talking sh!t.

If someone says we are playing cr@p (because of the manager obviously) and you point out that we have won five of our first seven matches, if you don't add in the rider "but all of the teams we've played so far have been sh!t/understrength" then you are on a wind up.

I say it again to those who spent three seasons denying the SKY was blue and have spent the last six months telling us how lucky we were to have a bloke managing us who could get us up into 7th, get used to it when somebody praises up Roy. If I want to praise the manager up, I will. If I want to point out one or two facts while people are busy slashing their wrists, I will. If I think Paul Konchesky is a sensible signing, I will say so. If people don't like, then tough, put me on ignore.

The sooner people on this forum accept the fact that everyone is entitled to their own point of view the better. I fully accept their right to mourn the loss of the previous manager and to bemoan the reign of the new one before it's started, it is entirely their privilage. Equally, it was my privilage to lose faith in the previous manager before it became obvious to anyone with their eyes open that he had completely lost the plot. It is also my privilage to have some faith in the new manager and to stick up for him. Like I say, sorry if it offends but there it is.

lol your right mick youve never had a go at anyone else for having there own opinion   :no
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 pm

rocky29 wrote:lol your right mick youve never had a go at anyone else for having there own opinion   :no

Thanks mate.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Ciggy wrote:I have no hatred what so ever for Houllier and I dont see any of the current Rafa haters giving Gerard down the banks either, which I find strange the hatred that some have for Rafa is obsessive for a man that gave us the best night of some of our lives people have very short memories.

And if we are going by how managers are rated Rafa & Houllier are better managers than Roy is Roy has to prove he is better than them. Its borderline ridiculas and OTT behaviour from some quarters, like Roy is some sort of God he's not so behave yourselves.

Would Roy walk into the Man U job? No !!!
Man City needed a manager did they bang down Fulhams door? No !!!
Chelsea have changed managers more than Real Madrid have did Roman get on the blower to Al Fayed and say Hey mate can we have Roy? No !!!
Arsenal havent won anything for 6 years have the Arsenal board been fed up with the sexy football Arsenal play and want Roy for a change? The answer is NO !!! once again.

I just think the hatred that some people had for Rafa is clouding their judgement on this one, and anyone is better than Rafa sort of attitude.

I dont think Roy should be Liverpools manager and Ive said that from the start, it has nothing to do with the Rafa being sacked, it has everything to do with hiring a world class manager and thats something we dont have.

If Roy goes on and wins us the league, the CL or what ever I will personally go to the man and appoligise for ever doubting him.

But he hasnt won nothing yet and the football so far has been dire, so hold your horses for the time being because this OTT praise looks pathetic seriously and in anycase it might come back to haunt you's.

Good luck at Villa Ged you are one fine gentleman :nod

Yep. Just about sums up how I feel about it too.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:10 pm

1. I dont understand why a Houllier thread is in the LFC general section and not premiership section.
2. I dont understand why a Houllier thread turned into a Woy thread.
3. I do understand that Mick argues anyone and anything to death until he feels he's won - which is why there is never the middle ground mentioned above.

People have differing opinions that must be respected, not constantly counter argued with multi paragraphed responses belittling anyone who disagrees with the poster.

Control... control... wheres a dalek Thread response to critics
Last edited by Reg on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:19 pm

bigmick wrote:So lets get this straight so I don't get the wrong end of the stick. You're not allowed to "over praise" the manager on a Liverpool forum, because it winds some Liverpool supporters up :laugh: You are though allowed to call the Liverpool manager a "fecking sh!t manager" on that same forum, and if people don't like it then b0ll0cks to them, you're only being honest after all.

Do you know what Mick ....it seems I may as well post in Ancient Aramaic the amount of posters that so spectacularly miss the point
I stated both sides need not go to such extremes because it mostly  comes across as being false ,and it usually leaves the poster looking less than genuine in his response ....and that applies to both sides ....some people actually got what my post meant
and then there were those that interpreted it in a fashion that would only serve to fuel their own agenda ???
As for putting anyone on ignore ...I think I have enough posters crammed into that facility ...without adding one more
I was once under the impression your posts were worth reading ....are you now saying  I  was wrong ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:35 pm

bigmick wrote:I think it's funny to be honest I really do. I've spent three seasons on here hearing how we have a tactical genius at the helm when we win a match, but discovering "it's the owners" when we lose one. I've learnt that if you buy a bloke for 20 million quid and sell him for 12, you're only out of pocket by 1 million. I've also learnt that when the said player turned out to be rubbish, the manager never wanted to buy him in the first place. I've learnt that trying to sell Alonso for 16 million wasn't the managers fault, and then the p!ssing off of the player to the extent where he wants away wasn't his fault either. I've learnt that buying an Italian midfielder who's injured and isn't upto it (for 20 million quid) is the medical staffs fault, and doesn't matter in any case because the fee is made up of "add ons".

I've heard excuse after excuse after excuse to justify us plummeting down the league into the abyss, it's the players, its the refs, its the beachballs, it's the press, it's the FA etc etc. I've seen us play stilted and dire football for season after season, and heard it justified to the hilt on here.

Now, we have a new manager. Some of us are refusing to jump on the "slag him off/dismiss his achievements" bandwagon, and already people are sick of it    :laugh: :laugh: Fecking hell, wait until you've had someone is denying the sky is blue for three years not three weeks before you get frustrated. Not many people, even those that are supportive of Roy, blamed the Man City defeat on the owners (innit). When we signed Konchesky or didn't sign a striker, none of us said "fecking Purslow". When we beat WBA, nobody amongst us hailed Roy as a tactical genius did they? Nobody so far has laughed so hard at any quip Roy has made that you'd think he ought to be at the Edinburgh festival. Nobody has found any of Roys dance routines hilarious.

Take it from me guys, because I know about these things, you ain't seen nothing yet. Fortunately for you, I know how utterly ridiculous it is when fans blindly defend the glaringly obviously wrong so I won't do it. I know how stupid it looks when you lose 19 matches in a season and people tell you you should be grateful we've got such a great manager in charge. I know it so I won't do it.

What I also won't do though is join a fledgeling lynch mob who are telling the manager he HAS to get it right in his fourth league game in charge, or who slag him off at every turn. I won't join those who dismiss four out of four victories in Europe, those who dismiss some extremely difficult Turkish opponents whilst forgetting the problems we've had with the likes of Macabi Haifa in the past. I won't join those who claim Arsenal were understrength, when we drew with them with 10 men. I won't join those who bemoan our lackof style against WBA, whilst forgetting how many times in the recent past we'd have gladly settled for a scrappy 1-0. I won't either join in with the fans who want to slag players off before they've kicked a ball, simply because they don't fit in with a picture they have of our ideal signings.

I've always liked the underdog, and the more people slag off our manager the more I'll get in behind him. I'm really hopeful that he'll make or one or two on here really eat their words. In the meantime get used to it, and like I say when you've had it for three seasons and a lot more extreme than anything which Roy has had in his favour so far, then you can talk  :D.

Best post in here by a country mile.

There are some saddos on here who love to wallow in their own pitty.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:39 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I was once under the impression your posts were worth reading ....are you now saying  I  was wrong ?

Not at all mate, all my posts are worth reading :D. I'm simply saying that if the likes of Benny and Magus can't take it that someone is pro the manager, if they can't handle it when somebody points out we've won five of our first seven matches and four from four in Europe, they should put me on ignore.

What amazes me Red is that these aren't merely opinions, they are fact. Similarly, when you state the fact that Roy has won his domestic title seven times, it's not an opinion, it's a fact. Now when these people say "ah but it doesn't count because Sweden is a sh!t league" I don't get all hot and bothered about it, I don't give a flying feck to be totally honest :laugh:.

The irony though of the very people who have stuck the boot into anyone who dared to express a doubt over the last few seasons, now getting all umpty about someone being positive is absolutely beautiful.

To keep the peace, I'll try and not buttrock quite so often and I'll try not to praise Roy up too much, I promise.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Ciggy wrote:I have no hatred what so ever for Houllier and I dont see any of the current Rafa haters giving Gerard down the banks either, which I find strange the hatred that some have for Rafa is obsessive for a man that gave us the best night of some of our lives people have very short memories.

And if we are going by how managers are rated Rafa & Houllier are better managers than Roy is Roy has to prove he is better than them. Its borderline ridiculas and OTT behaviour from some quarters, like Roy is some sort of God he's not so behave yourselves.

Would Roy walk into the Man U job? No !!!
Man City needed a manager did they bang down Fulhams door? No !!!
Chelsea have changed managers more than Real Madrid have did Roman get on the blower to Al Fayed and say Hey mate can we have Roy? No !!!
Arsenal havent won anything for 6 years have the Arsenal board been fed up with the sexy football Arsenal play and want Roy for a change? The answer is NO !!! once again.

I just think the hatred that some people had for Rafa is clouding their judgement on this one, and anyone is better than Rafa sort of attitude.

I dont think Roy should be Liverpools manager and Ive said that from the start, it has nothing to do with the Rafa being sacked, it has everything to do with hiring a world class manager and thats something we dont have.

If Roy goes on and wins us the league, the CL or what ever I will personally go to the man and appoligise for ever doubting him.

But he hasnt won nothing yet and the football so far has been dire, so hold your horses for the time being because this OTT praise looks pathetic seriously and in anycase it might come back to haunt you's.

Good luck at Villa Ged you are one fine gentleman :nod

Right lets have a look at this one since all the people who are getting offended by someone sticking up for Roy are saying it's the post of the decade.....

No hatred for Houllier? Check, same here. The hatred for Rafa  ??? I hope you don't mean me in that group Lynds, I don't hate anyone and I've said many times that no doubt Rafa is a lovely fella. I even think he did a reasonable job as Liverpools manager, even reasonable bordering on fairly good, it's just that when you compare what I think to those who think he was the messiah, it looks like I want him dead.

As for Rafa and Houllier being "rated" higher than Roy, I would agree in World football terms as far as Rafa is concerned, not Houllier though. Obviously we're not talking Scandinavia here where Hodgson is a God, but generally in the bigger football centres Benitez is more "rated" I'll give you that. He's probably more "rated" than Wenger too, but he's a mile behind him as a manager IMHO but that's another story. As for Roy being "some sort of God", I don't think anyone has said that. Flick up some of the threadas over the last three years and you'll see what it looks like when people make managers out to be Gods.

I agree with you that Roy wouldn't have got jobs at those clubs you mentioned. I don't think Rafa would have either to be totally honest after the job he did on Liverpool, but I guess we'll have to differ on that one. Then you go back to this "hatred" thing, which is making people think Roy is better than Rafa.

I think Roy at this moment in time is a better manager for Liverpool than Rafa would have been. You don't. It doesn't mean you "hate" Roy, and neither does it mean I "hate" Rafa. I simply think he had lost the plot to such an extent that you could have had a long list if you were looking for managers who would be an improvement.

You have as you say said you don't think Roy should be the manager as he's not up to it. That's 100% fair enough, but equally those of us who think he is are surely entitled to our opinions aren't we? Those of us who are enjoying having Roy as manager, those of us who are hopeful we can move forward are enttled to our belief.

As for the football being dire, I agree. It has been so for the best part of three seasons save for a spell of 15 matches the season before last. Roy has much to do, we all know that.

Some of us though think he is doing his best, and is doing a bl00dy good job in difficult circumstances.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion