Houllier

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:01 am

Ciggy wrote:I have no hatred what so ever for Houllier and I dont see any of the current Rafa haters giving Gerard down the banks either, which I find strange the hatred that some have for Rafa is obsessive for a man that gave us the best night of some of our lives people have very short memories.

And if we are going by how managers are rated Rafa & Houllier are better managers than Roy is Roy has to prove he is better than them. Its borderline ridiculas and OTT behaviour from some quarters, like Roy is some sort of God he's not so behave yourselves.

Would Roy walk into the Man U job? No !!!
Man City needed a manager did they bang down Fulhams door? No !!!
Chelsea have changed managers more than Real Madrid have did Roman get on the blower to Al Fayed and say Hey mate can we have Roy? No !!!
Arsenal havent won anything for 6 years have the Arsenal board been fed up with the sexy football Arsenal play and want Roy for a change? The answer is NO !!! once again.

I just think the hatred that some people had for Rafa is clouding their judgement on this one, and anyone is better than Rafa sort of attitude.

I dont think Roy should be Liverpools manager and Ive said that from the start, it has nothing to do with the Rafa being sacked, it has everything to do with hiring a world class manager and thats something we dont have.

If Roy goes on and wins us the league, the CL or what ever I will personally go to the man and appoligise for ever doubting him.

But he hasnt won nothing yet and the football so far has been dire, so hold your horses for the time being because this OTT praise looks pathetic seriously and in anycase it might come back to haunt you's.

Good luck at Villa Ged you are one fine gentleman :nod

I must admit as much as I thought it was time for a change, I do not see where the hatred for Rafa is coming from with some people on here.

I personally cherish the good memories, and they will be the memories I choose to remember. Both Rafa and Houllier did great things here and both should equally be respected.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:41 am

Ciggy wrote:I have no hatred what so ever for Houllier and I dont see any of the current Rafa haters giving Gerard down the banks either, which I find strange the hatred that some have for Rafa is obsessive for a man that gave us the best night of some of our lives people have very short memories.

And if we are going by how managers are rated Rafa & Houllier are better managers than Roy is Roy has to prove he is better than them. Its borderline ridiculas and OTT behaviour from some quarters, like Roy is some sort of God he's not so behave yourselves.

Chelsea have changed managers more than Real Madrid have did Roman get on the blower to Al Fayed and say Hey mate can we have Roy? No !!!
Arsenal havent won anything for 6 years have the Arsenal board been fed up with the sexy football Arsenal play and want Roy for a change? The answer is NO !!! once again.

I just think the hatred that some people had for Rafa is clouding their judgement on this one, and anyone is better than Rafa sort of attitude.

I dont think Roy should be Liverpools manager and Ive said that from the start, it has nothing to do with the Rafa being sacked, it has everything to do with hiring a world class manager and thats something we dont have.

If Roy goes on and wins us the league, the CL or what ever I will personally go to the man and appoligise for ever doubting him.

But he hasnt won nothing yet and the football so far has been dire, so hold your horses for the time being because this OTT praise looks pathetic seriously and in anycase it might come back to haunt you's.

any chance to have a bash at Roy hey ciggy? your getting to sound like a broken fuking record your sour bugger.

if you dont like it...
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:54 am

There is a lot of truth in what she is saying though Lee - the over hyping and over praise of Hodgson is quite amusing at the moment
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 am

I think it's funny to be honest I really do. I've spent three seasons on here hearing how we have a tactical genius at the helm when we win a match, but discovering "it's the owners" when we lose one. I've learnt that if you buy a bloke for 20 million quid and sell him for 12, you're only out of pocket by 1 million. I've also learnt that when the said player turned out to be rubbish, the manager never wanted to buy him in the first place. I've learnt that trying to sell Alonso for 16 million wasn't the managers fault, and then the p!ssing off of the player to the extent where he wants away wasn't his fault either. I've learnt that buying an Italian midfielder who's injured and isn't upto it (for 20 million quid) is the medical staffs fault, and doesn't matter in any case because the fee is made up of "add ons".

I've heard excuse after excuse after excuse to justify us plummeting down the league into the abyss, it's the players, its the refs, its the beachballs, it's the press, it's the FA etc etc. I've seen us play stilted and dire football for season after season, and heard it justified to the hilt on here.

Now, we have a new manager. Some of us are refusing to jump on the "slag him off/dismiss his achievements" bandwagon, and already people are sick of it    :laugh: :laugh: Fecking hell, wait until you've had someone is denying the sky is blue for three years not three weeks before you get frustrated. Not many people, even those that are supportive of Roy, blamed the Man City defeat on the owners (innit). When we signed Konchesky or didn't sign a striker, none of us said "fecking Purslow". When we beat WBA, nobody amongst us hailed Roy as a tactical genius did they? Nobody so far has laughed so hard at any quip Roy has made that you'd think he ought to be at the Edinburgh festival. Nobody has found any of Roys dance routines hilarious.

Take it from me guys, because I know about these things, you ain't seen nothing yet. Fortunately for you, I know how utterly ridiculous it is when fans blindly defend the glaringly obviously wrong so I won't do it. I know how stupid it looks when you lose 19 matches in a season and people tell you you should be grateful we've got such a great manager in charge. I know it so I won't do it.

What I also won't do though is join a fledgeling lynch mob who are telling the manager he HAS to get it right in his fourth league game in charge, or who slag him off at every turn. I won't join those who dismiss four out of four victories in Europe, those who dismiss some extremely difficult Turkish opponents whilst forgetting the problems we've had with the likes of Macabi Haifa in the past. I won't join those who claim Arsenal were understrength, when we drew with them with 10 men. I won't join those who bemoan our lackof style against WBA, whilst forgetting how many times in the recent past we'd have gladly settled for a scrappy 1-0. I won't either join in with the fans who want to slag players off before they've kicked a ball, simply because they don't fit in with a picture they have of our ideal signings.

I've always liked the underdog, and the more people slag off our manager the more I'll get in behind him. I'm really hopeful that he'll make or one or two on here really eat their words. In the meantime get used to it, and like I say when you've had it for three seasons and a lot more extreme than anything which Roy has had in his favour so far, then you can talk  :D.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:43 am

When are people going to realize that it doesn't matter who the manager is?  We're not winning trophies cos we have sh.it owners and no money to invest in the team.

Rafa was punching way above his weight when he had us challenging for the title and competing in European Cup finals.

We have no money and no amount of bitching about current or previous managers will change that.  As no one noticed that we have stopped winning trophies and competing in finals since 2007.  (the year Hicks and Gillett took over).

Why don't people spend more time in the takeover thread discussing productive things we can do to oust the owners?
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Bermenstein » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:48 am

The Guardian dont normally publish articles unless they are almost certain of an issue, but they say Houllier will sign a 3 year deal to charge at Villa.

The paper also state that Phil Thompson will not be the No 2, as MDonald is likely to remain in the Assistant capacity. Thompson has been believed to say "3 is a Crowd"

LINK
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:01 am

Benny The Noon wrote:There is a lot of truth in what she is saying though Lee - the over hyping and over praise of Hodgson is quite amusing at the moment

and as if by magic you turn up to defend it - another one on the 'Roy is sh!t' bandwagon.

go away you silly man
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:13 am

Besides which, who is "over-hyping and over praising Hodgson"?

Lets look at it. We have won five out of seven of the matches we have played this season. This is a fact which can be neither over hyped or over praised. We have won four out of four in Europe, which is also a fact. We have beaten Trabzonspor Home and Away, both of which are excellent results (ask anyone who has a clue and they will tell you it is a fact). The first team we beat were sh!t, it's a fact. We did well to get a draw against Arsenal with 10 men, and in the end were unfortunate not to win it (it's a fact). We didn't play well against WBA but we did win which was handy (it's a fact). Against man City away we were poor and lost 3-0 (it's a fact).

Now those things I don't think can be disputed. Lets move onto the more contentious issues. Persuading Joey Cole to choose us over teams was a coup (I think it's a fact). Persuading Torres and Gerrard to stay was a major coup (I think it's a fact).

Then, you are discussing signings which i'm not going to get into here, and Roys record. Roy has won the domestic league title he is competing for seven times (it's a fact) but people dismiss itbecause it was the Swedish league. That's up to them of course and they are entitled to their opinion, but it's just a bit odd when they ask you what "Roy has achieved in 20 seasons", then when you tell them what he achieved in seven of them they dismiss it as "not counting because it's a sh!t league" :laugh:

So IMHO it's a clear case of people not liking facts. Most of them actually don't want to discuss the current manager and what he's done anyway, they really want to talk about the previous manager and what he did six seasons ago. If you don't fit in with that, you annoy them. Shame :laugh:
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:03 pm

That's a good post Ciggy...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:06 pm

bigmick wrote:Besides which, who is "over-hyping and over praising Hodgson"?

probably has to do with  :buttrock  ?

:D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Its difficult to refute what Ciggy says so I guess Roy's best defense will be his coming track record and I wish him the best of luck. If he does well, LFC does well.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:15 pm

I think what people have to realize that this man is now manager of Liverpool Football Club, regardless if some feel he doesn't warrant the job, or if posters genuinely felt him to be an outstanding candidate ...it now makes little difference.... we should afford him a large swell of support simply for the position he now holds ....
It seems apparent that while Roy is gaining some trust amongst supporters with his honest and candid approach to interviews,  he is also giving fuel to the doubters with his style of play ....which if I am honest he has not had time to evolve ,but going by the posts on this forum it seems obvious some wish him success more than others......and here we have the crux of the problem on the other side of the divide  we have the posters positively  eulogizing about the little time he has been at Liverpool and literally going ott in their praise of his acumen and tactical nous, which I might add I have often praised myself because the mans name is respected as such all over Europe ..... but that said I just feel the overtly extravagant praise is simply being used to antagonise.... because  somewhere people we have to meet in the middle...... Roy is the manager and our job is the same as its been for years to support without question ....regardless of the Clubs politics that rage behind the scenes ...... so perhaps taking that on board both sides could all agree to back of a touch  ...those who are overwhelmingly unstinting in their praise and those that afford him little respect .....both could do with taking it down a notch otherwise it just comes across as slightly false .....
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I think what people have to realize that this man is now manager of Liverpool Football Club, regardless if some feel he doesn't warrant the job, or if posters genuinely felt him to be an outstanding candidate ...it now makes little difference.... we should afford him a large swell of support simply for the position he now holds ....
It seems apparent that while Roy is gaining some trust amongst supporters with his honest and candid approach to interviews,  he is also giving fuel to the doubters with his style of play ....which if I am honest he has not had time to evolve ,but going by the posts on this forum it seems obvious some wish him success more than others......and here we have the crux of the problem on the other side of the divide  we have the posters positively  eulogizing about the little time he has been at Liverpool and literally going ott in their praise of his acumen and tactical nous, which I might add I have often praised myself because the mans name is respected as such all over Europe ..... but that said I just feel the overtly extravagant praise is simply being used to antagonise.... because  somewhere people we have to meet in the middle...... Roy is the manager and our job is the same as its been for years to support without question ....regardless of the Clubs politics that rage behind the scenes ...... so perhaps taking that on board both sides could all agree to back of a touch  ...those who are overwhelmingly unstinting in their praise and those that afford him little respect .....both could do with taking it down a notch otherwise it just comes across as slightly false .....

:buttrock  <--- real cheer
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:48 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I think what people have to realize that this man is now manager of Liverpool Football Club, regardless if some feel he doesn't warrant the job, or if posters genuinely felt him to be an outstanding candidate ...it now makes little difference.... we should afford him a large swell of support simply for the position he now holds ....

yep fair point

[holds hand out to shake on it...]
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:07 pm

all i know is that Steven Gerrard is still good friends with him and say a lot of his own career is down to Houllier and Evans.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion