Hodgson - A travesty of the modern game

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:29 pm

I think Roy Hodgson's comments to the media ,this morning are a little disconcerting to say the least .
Hodgson basically informed Liverpool and Chelsea not to expect to much from Fulham when his side plays the Mancs,maybe its just me ,but you would think after two demoralizing defeats ,Hodgson might just try to rally his players.
I find this current trend of Managers throwing in the towel before they meet United really worrying ,I mean what message do you think that gives to the players ,another trait that concerns me is certain managers eulogizing United even before the game ....
Am I missing something here ?    :veryangry
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:33 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:I think Roy Hodgson's comments to the media ,this morning are a little disconcerting to say the least .
Hodgson basically informed Liverpool and Chelsea not to expect to much from Fulham when his side plays the Mancs,maybe its just me ,but you would think after two demoralizing defeats ,Hodgson might just try to rally his players.
I find this current trend of Managers throwing in the towel before they meet United really worrying ,I mean what message do you think that gives to the players ,another trait that concerns me is certain managers eulogizing United even before the game ....
Am I missing something here ?    :veryangry

I think he might be using the arl reverse psychology.
If he says theyve got no chance in public then the mancs might think theyve got a walkover and take their foot off the gas. Then fulham can smash them to bits while their guards down
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:36 pm

Two 4-0 defeats to the Mancs he's got me fooled fella  ???
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:51 pm

HAVE TO AGREE - WHAT HOPE OF INSPIRING HIS PLAYERS IF THE MANAGER THROWS THE TOWEL IN
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 pm

I don't expect much from most of the sides in the Premiership :-

MAN UTD 08/09

01-06 : P8 W2 D3 L4 PTS 9 (Won 25.00%)
07-20 : P20 W18 D2 L0 PTS 54 (Won 90.00%)

Fulham aren't doing anything most sides outside the top six do.

Last Premiership Win vs Man Utd

14/03/09 Man Utd 1-4 Liverpool
08/11/08 Arsenal 2-1 Man Utd
26/04/08 Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd
10/02/08 Man Utd 1-2 Man City
29/12/07 West Ham 2-1 Man Utd
24/11/07 Bolton 1-0 Man Utd
07/04/07 Portsmouth 2-1 Man Utd
01/02/06 Blackburn 4-3 Man Utd
29/10/05 Middlesboro 4-1 Man Utd
20/04/05 Everton 1-0 Man Utd

25/10/03 Man Utd 1-3 Fulham
15/09/01 Newcastle 4-3 Man Utd
19/05/01 Tottenham 3-1 Man Utd

08/03/97 Sunderland 2-1 Man Utd
19/08/95 A Villa 3-1 Man Utd

Hull City lost 3-4 at old trafford in their only Premiership fixture so far, Stoke lost home and away in their first/only Premiership season, WBA haven't beaten the mancs since the old 1st division and Wigan have lost every game against the mancs

More galling than Hodgson waving the white flag already, is the Champions League wannabes of Everton and villa not putting up much of a fight either. Didn't the bitters go 2-0 up and threw it away to lose 4-2 one season? Same goes for spudz, when they were finishing 5th and UEFA cup regulars. Sadly a lot of top flight regular clubs that see themselves as "big", also see a draw against the mancs as a massive result for them. I mean ffs, Derby managed to beat the mancs this season, so did Zenit and that club side from Ecuador put up a better fight than most visitors do at old trafford. Doesn't help most sides set their stalls out for a draw and don't even try to win, a tactic that rarely works against the mancs but gets a lot of sides a point at Anfield :(
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Hodgson is a :censored:
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Precisely my point ,whats the use if teams raise their game, when Fulham and their manager show the type of cowardice that has no place in the modern game ,It seems these managers that Taggart calls friends seem to role out the red carpet for his team ,I mean Mourinho had all the menace of a wet flannel when Milan visited recently ,I think the result would have been much different if Mourinho was still at war with United .
I think managers should consider this ..would they still be invited back for a drink with Ferguson if they had just trounced his beloved united  ? ,I think not  ???
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Owzat wrote:I don't expect much from most of the sides in the Premiership :-

MAN UTD 08/09

01-06 : P8 W2 D3 L4 PTS 9 (Won 25.00%)
07-20 : P20 W18 D2 L0 PTS 54 (Won 90.00%)

Fulham aren't doing anything most sides outside the top six do.

Last Premiership Win vs Man Utd

14/03/09 Man Utd 1-4 Liverpool
08/11/08 Arsenal 2-1 Man Utd
26/04/08 Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd
10/02/08 Man Utd 1-2 Man City
29/12/07 West Ham 2-1 Man Utd
24/11/07 Bolton 1-0 Man Utd
07/04/07 Portsmouth 2-1 Man Utd
01/02/06 Blackburn 4-3 Man Utd
29/10/05 Middlesboro 4-1 Man Utd
20/04/05 Everton 1-0 Man Utd

25/10/03 Man Utd 1-3 Fulham
15/09/01 Newcastle 4-3 Man Utd
19/05/01 Tottenham 3-1 Man Utd

08/03/97 Sunderland 2-1 Man Utd
19/08/95 A Villa 3-1 Man Utd

Hull City lost 3-4 at old trafford in their only Premiership fixture so far, Stoke lost home and away in their first/only Premiership season, WBA haven't beaten the mancs since the old 1st division and Wigan have lost every game against the mancs

More galling than Hodgson waving the white flag already, is the Champions League wannabes of Everton and villa not putting up much of a fight either. Didn't the bitters go 2-0 up and threw it away to lose 4-2 one season? Same goes for spudz, when they were finishing 5th and UEFA cup regulars. Sadly a lot of top flight regular clubs that see themselves as "big", also see a draw against the mancs as a massive result for them. I mean ffs, Derby managed to beat the mancs this season, so did Zenit and that club side from Ecuador put up a better fight than most visitors do at old trafford. Doesn't help most sides set their stalls out for a draw and don't even try to win, a tactic that rarely works against the mancs but gets a lot of sides a point at Anfield :(

Point is, unless Hodgson is the new mystic Meg ,how can he predict his team will not play the game of their proverbial lives ..
Twice this season Hodgson has a predicted if they score one at the Mancs place it would be a miracle ,the mans a joke and he takes away the spirit that used to be synonomous with our league. Defeatist this is more like abject surrender .   :(
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Just bending over for Furgie like his bessie mate moyes, that game at OT was a joke if I was a Fulham fan I would have demended a refund  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:27 pm

If I was Al Fayed I would have the f*cker out on his watchmaking a*rse for that result . :(
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:33 pm

He talked down his team's chances before the OT game as well.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:Point is, unless Hodgson is the new mystic Meg ,how can he predict his team will not play the game of their proverbial lives ..
Twice this season Hodgson has a predicted if they score one at the Mancs place it would be a miracle ,the mans a joke and he takes away the spirit that used to be synonomous with our league. Defeatist this is more like abject surrender .   :(

He hasn't said they aren't going to try as far as I'm aware, the wording of what I've seen (below) says not to "expect too much". Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, not to expect Fulham to beat Man Utd.

Fulham take on Manchester United on Saturday but boss Roy Hodgson has told Liverpool and Chelsea not to "expect too much" from his side as the pair hope for a favour in their bids to try to catch the Premier League leaders. (Daily Mirror)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1....ult.stm

Of course the wording is open to interpretation, expect in terms or result or effort. I'd rather he was honest about his sides chances than come out and say they'd give them a game and fail. Notice that list has a few teams we might expect a tricky away fixture from right down near the older dates of last win.

I'm not saying Hodgson's words aren't ill advised, best to say nothing IMO, but I think he's covering his own back here by trying to reduce expectations of Fulham to follow up our win with one of their own
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:06 pm

question you gota ask ya self is how much is fergie paying him ?
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Owzat wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:Point is, unless Hodgson is the new mystic Meg ,how can he predict his team will not play the game of their proverbial lives ..

He hasn't said they aren't going to try as far as I'm aware, the wording of what I've seen (below) says not to "expect too much". Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, not to expect Fulham to beat Man Utd.

Fulham take on Manchester United on Saturday but boss Roy Hodgson has told Liverpool and Chelsea not to "expect too much" from his side as the pair hope for a favour in their bids to try to catch the Premier League leaders. (Daily Mirror)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1....ult.stm

Of course the wording is open to interpretation, expect in terms or result or effort. I'd rather he was honest about his sides chances than come out and say they'd give them a game and fail. Notice that list has a few teams we might expect a tricky away fixture from right down near the older dates of last win.

I'm not saying Hodgson's words aren't ill advised, best to say nothing IMO, but I think he's covering his own back here by trying to reduce expectations of Fulham to follow up our win with one of their own

I think if this was Fulham's first meeting with the Mancs ,then his comments could be justified,but this comes after his sides total capitulation ,not once, but twice at which United were allowed to win with disdainful ease .
Im just saying maybe his comments in hindsight would be better proffered after the game ......
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby loopyliverpool » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:15 pm

He's a decent man and I just think he was being honest. There is no player who doesn't want to play and perform against the top teams. What would be scandalous is if he fields a weakend team but I cant see that. At the end of the day we lost the league with that terrible run of games after the Newcastle victory. We can't expect the lowly teams to start beating the likes of Man U now! Man U have been lucky against Blackburn and have managed to score vital late winners on numerous occassions this season, we have had our fair share of late winners too but not enough. We lost the League away to Stoke/Middlesborough and at home to Stoke/Fulham/West Ham/Hull/Everton/Man City where instead of a possible 18 points we picked up only 6... that is not Champions form. We shouldn't start looking for others to do us favours when we had the title within our grasp around Christmas... we have to accept that although we are good enough to beat the best we have failed in the bread and butter games and that is something we shall have to rue when the Mancs lift an equalling 18 Championships come May. Lets not blame Hodgson when he thinks, realistically, that Man U are likely to beat them, especially after the thumping they received of us! We need to take our failings like men and hope they are improved upon for next year. However, as unlikely as it is, my fingers are of course crossed that Fulham, Arsenel and Villa can get results against them...
loopyliverpool

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion