Books vs films, - What wins it for you?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue May 05, 2009 3:30 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:those who watched Twilight adored the movie. those who read the book didn't. one of the many books made into movies that didnt bode well with the readers.

I disagree, my daughter has all 4 books currently available from Stephenie Meyer ,and says the first film was a let down ,and the book was by far superior .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue May 05, 2009 3:33 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:those who watched Twilight adored the movie. those who read the book didn't. one of the many books made into movies that didnt bode well with the readers.

I disagree, my daughter has all 4 books currently available from Stephenie Meyer ,and says the first film was a let down ,and the book was by far superior .

im pretty sure thats what i meant  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue May 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Sorry fella (hang over) :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue May 05, 2009 3:50 pm

A perfect example fo me personally would be The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty ,I read this book and was enthralled and terrified in tandem ,to the point of starting to sleep with my light on in my bedroom ,but the movie never induced such panic and was a serious let down .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue May 05, 2009 3:59 pm

woah the exorcist was a book? :D i always thought it was just a movie. but now that i know, im gonna find it. it seems captivating.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue May 05, 2009 4:07 pm

?  (Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit ) :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:10 pm

(cue: catfight)
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:(cue: catfight)

No there was a  :D included which should in theory diffuse an argument if Im not mistaken   :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 05, 2009 4:25 pm

What about (rare, I know, but) books vs. tv series?  Darkly Dreaming Dexter (the book) was good but the first season of Dexter (tv series) was at another level, IMO.  There was so much back-story and character development in the series that just wasn't there in the book--which is strange because books usually go way deeper than visual media on this stuff.  I know the fact that it was a multi-episode series helped with that but, really, the book was like a bare outline that the series' writers fleshed out big time.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Sat May 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Bad Bob wrote:What about (rare, I know, but) books vs. tv series?  Darkly Dreaming Dexter (the book) was good but the first season of Dexter (tv series) was at another level, IMO.  There was so much back-story and character development in the series that just wasn't there in the book--which is strange because books usually go way deeper than visual media on this stuff.  I know the fact that it was a multi-episode series helped with that but, really, the book was like a bare outline that the series' writers fleshed out big time.

Tv series of books could easily work better than movies as each episode has time to develop the character and storyline and keep true to the novel. Id definately be more for a series rather than a movie as then there is no real excuse from deviating from what is written.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 10, 2009 9:20 am

redbeergoggles wrote:A perfect example fo me personally would be The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty ,I read this book and was enthralled and terrified in tandem ,to the point of starting to sleep with my light on in my bedroom ,but the movie never induced such panic and was a serious let down .

heres a good read-up about the book .... which i didnt know existed   :rasp
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tonyeh » Sun May 10, 2009 7:33 pm

kazza 1 wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
kazza 1 wrote:Prefere books. I hate when I have read a good Stephen King book and then a film is made about it and half of it is missing :veryangry
Tbh.. I think the only SK book that made a good film was "The Shinning" as most of it was true to the book, but the rest, apart from his short stories (as Dawson said) are krap as films. On the telly at the moment, theres a SK mini series on called Desperation and although I am enjoying watching it, theres still a lot missing and some of it is quite important to help you understand whats going on. Its quite sad really.

The Stand tho I did enjoy... and he made some hospital thing which was good, but usually with King you gotta read the book, apparently Cell is being made into a film which could be interesting

Have you read Cell Daws?? Its a fantastic book. With some books the action dont start until about 2 chapters in but "Cell" starts from the very first page. Would be intersting to see how they would get on in a movie.  (Which reminds me.. I must get it back of my son. Hes had it for months and still has'nt read it, lol!)
One King film I have seen and its not read the book is The Mist, which is a great film but I will have to try and get the book before I decide if the film is better. I think a trip to the Library is on the cards today, lol! On Kings website it says that Dolans Cadilllic is being made into a movie, with Christan Slater playing the role of Jimmy Dolan. The story itself is a short one from the book Nightmares & Dreamscapes and its only about 50 pages long. So it should be interesting to see what they squeeze into the film.

Here's 'The Mist' Kaz...enjoy.

http://sf.arpnic.net/King,%20Stephen%20-%20The%20Mist.pdf

Stephen King said the ending of the film was much better, than his ending. I agree somewhat. But I would have cut it a little shorter still...if you know what I mean.

By the way, 'The Shawshank Redemption', I thought was the best Stephen King adapatation. 'The Mist' is by the same director.
tonyeh

Postby tonyeh » Sun May 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Bad Bob wrote:What about (rare, I know, but) books vs. tv series?  Darkly Dreaming Dexter (the book) was good but the first season of Dexter (tv series) was at another level, IMO.  There was so much back-story and character development in the series that just wasn't there in the book--which is strange because books usually go way deeper than visual media on this stuff.  I know the fact that it was a multi-episode series helped with that but, really, the book was like a bare outline that the series' writers fleshed out big time.

Though the fiirst series of 'Dexter' was the best thing on TV since the first series of 'The Wire'.

Unfortunately, the second series was a bit of a let down for me. the third was up again though.   :D

More often than not, I tend to really dislike American TV series. I find them to be very diluted and lacking in umph. There's usually a "message", or some schmaltzy crap thrown in somewhere that tends to ruin the ruin the whole thing for me.
tonyeh

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum