Pfa awards... - ...giggs player of the year?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:36 pm

I look forward to Carra winning the PFA in a year or two based on this precedent. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby mkingdom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Sentimental b0llocks.  Life time acheivment stuff, which I'm not saying he doesn't deserve...but he has no place as player of the year with 12 starts.  Nonsense.

Nearly as much nonsense as all but one of the nominations being from Utd.  Incredible.

Then, the "team of the year" is Utd plus a couple.  Giggs over Alonso, this season...you 'avin a laff?  Alonso has consistently started and played excellent football all year...not for a dozen games, and another handful of subs appearances with games already won.

When will this Utd w@nk fest end?
mkingdom

Postby GYBS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:37 pm

unfortunatley there is only one bunch of people you can blame for this - the players themselves .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:44 pm

I have to say I am appalled at the mockery that has been made of the formerly prestigious PFA Footballer of the year trophy. Real endeavour has been cast aside in favour of sentiment. How else can it be explained that a player who has played only 12 games and scored only one goal is awarded the title of “Player of the year”, ridiculous! I for one would have no problem with an award being created for outstanding services to football or even “player of the decade” but for the annual award to be so sentimentally and ridiculously handed out totally devalues it for me. While I agree Giggs’ efforts throughout his career should rightly be applauded I adamantly feel this was the wrong platform to use to do it.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Deffo a sympathy vote this. The fella has been top notch for the manc shite over the years and should really have won it before now, but awarding it to a player that's only made 12 starts just makes a mockery of the whole award.. It does just stink of the players either realising themselves that - "Shit, we better vote for him now or it'll be too late", or they've been sent voting forms with the follwing options:

CAST YOUR VOTE FOR THIS YEARS PFA PLAYER OF THE YEAR AWARD (Mark 'X' after your choice)

1. Ryan Giggs

2. Ryan Giggs

3. Ryan Giggs

4. Ryan Giggs

5. Ryan Giggs
:suspect:

I personally think Ireland at Citeh deserved it, he's managed to outshine Robinho (don't take much sometimes  :p ) and has been one of the best players in Europe this season never mind just the premiership.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:04 pm

pathetic award ...and rightly condemned as such in the media....always was a worthless honour because it relates only to a few moths of the season or in giggs case  8 games before March
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:12 pm

blame the players mate - they are the ones that gave him the award
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:36 pm

They just want to give it to him cause this is his last chance. Not really based on performance but as a jesture I suppose.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Pathetic isnt it

Fergie demanded it though
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:43 pm

funny who i was arguing, and manc fans genuinely believe that he deserved it as he hadnt won it before. Player of the year award I mentioned, stressing the word year.... some people eh?

Giggs should have got some kind of special award, as hes been outstanding. But even he must be gutted as hes won it the one year he has hardly played
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:49 pm

The 2 PFA Awards threads have been merged and....it's still a joke decision. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:48 pm

it really has dishonoured the award.

if giggs won an award for best premiership player ever - i'd say okay. 17 years at the top is a great achievement. he is up there with henry, shearer, keane, cantona etc but this one year - no way . now is about equal with park.

I think lampard should have won it (sg injured often).
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion