Pfa awards... - ...giggs player of the year?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby destro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:47 am

Nothing to do with Liverpool glasses mate, he plays bit parts in matches and what ? he deserves praise because he performs that role well ?

I have nothing against Giggs as a player ( apart from who he plays for ), its great hes still going at that age ( my Sunday League career has a few more years left in it ) but to say he has put in performances that would make Gerrard blush reeks of the comment of a WUM*. Considering their ages and the fact that Giggs has obviously been playing a lot longer than Stevie, if it went down to who has put the best performances in during their respective careers, its a no brainer, glasses or no glasses :cool:

* I am not saying you are a WUM, but thats the sort of comment I would excpect from one :;):

EDIT- I have changed my mind, , most if not all of your posts are in topics relating to Man U ? If you are not a WUM I have got swine flu !
destro

Postby macaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:59 am

Vidic should have won it tbh, he's been a rock at the back for United. Giggs was pretty much equally deserving - the amount of assists he gets is incredible - I saw a chart the other day that showed that he leads the Premiership for chances created:minutes on the pitch.
macaroon

Postby destro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 am

Buy one get one free ???
destro

Postby burjennio » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:19 am

DrPepe wrote:
Greavesie wrote:Just for further clarification, I'm aware footballers vote, but which ones? All of them? or is their a representation of each club? How do you qualify to vote?

all members of the union can vote

you can nominate 2 players , then they vote for one of the shortlist nominees  - you can't vote for a pro at your own club

so you cant vote for a pro at your club? WHO THE F*CK VOTED FOR RYAN GIGGS THAT ISN'T A BLEEDIN MANC? There must be a betting conspiracy going on. Did Michael Owen have a few quid on this?
burjennio

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:34 am

All you gotta do is start 12 games a season to win player of the year lol
Obviously the players get the form to fill in, give it to their agents to do for them, and just say, put in giggs, hes gonna retire soon

Job done.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jonas Blane » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 am

I saw an interesting stat the other day: Giggs is the player who creates the most chances per minutes spent on the pitch. Perhaps this data influenced the vote? Anyhow on this shortlist I was expecting Vidic, he's been great until the 1-4 drubbing we gave them :cool:  And I think the PFA members vote in February or March, maybe someone can confirm.
Jonas Blane

Postby macaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:49 am

Giggs has the highest amount of chances created per minutes on the pitch, even at 35.

Can't see how the :censored: the Mancs are going to replace him.
macaroon

Postby Owzat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:49 am

ConnO'var wrote:Ridiculous decision.

Giggs is a fine player and deserves all the accolades he's garnered over the years but he's done nothing this year to warrant the award.

Nothing more than a sentimental choice.

The PFA should have come out and said they would give Giggs a special award and then players would only vote Giggs if he deserved the award, they haven't done it and so sentimentality may well rule some players' thinking - I hope not enough to influence the outcome, not that it means anything and certainly won't if Giggs wins it. And while they may 'think' it is a tribute to Giggs, it will probably go wrong if they vote that way because people will remember it for being the one where the best player that season didn't win the award

I read the other day that fergie is backing Giggs for the award, more people putting their views across through the media which influences people way too much (or at least tries to)

Let's say there are about 500 footballers at the Premiership clubs who've played this season. There will be plenty of top footballers who never win the POTY season, especially when you get better footballers about and plenty will retire without such an "accolade". Is Giggs so much more deserving than others? Perhaps the PFA should simply have an award for landmarks and lifetime achievements, give an award for say 500 Premiership appearances, three or more Premiership titles etc. So Giggs stuck out at the most successful club in the Premiership and inevitably ended up with a stackload of trophies, is that down to him or to the likes of Cantona, Schmeichel, Beckham, Scholes, Bruce, Pallister, Ferdinand, Vidic, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney etc? He played his part, but without great players around him he wouldn't have won half those. He's way past his prime, even in his prime he wouldn't necessarily have been the best around and the absence of a previous POTY award shows that.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:00 am

The whole thing is a farce because it's voted for in February rather than the end of the season. It just so happens that in February Giggs had 4 or 5 games where he played out of his skin so he probably got a lot of votes.

Over the course of the season it's a joke though. He won't even win United's player of the season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Jonas Blane » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:00 am

Owzat wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Ridiculous decision.

I read the other day that fergie is backing Giggs for the award, more people putting their views across through the media which influences people way too much (or at least tries to)

Let's say there are about 500 footballers at the Premiership clubs who've played this season. There will be plenty of top footballers who never win the POTY season, especially when you get better footballers about and plenty will retire without such an "accolade". Is Giggs so much more deserving than others? Perhaps the PFA should simply have an award for landmarks and lifetime achievements, give an award for say 500 Premiership appearances, three or more Premiership titles etc. So Giggs stuck out at the most successful club in the Premiership and inevitably ended up with a stackload of trophies, is that down to him or to the likes of Cantona, Schmeichel, Beckham, Scholes, Bruce, Pallister, Ferdinand, Vidic, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney etc? He played his part, but without great players around him he wouldn't have won half those. He's way past his prime, even in his prime he wouldn't necessarily have been the best around and the absence of a previous POTY award shows that.

Ferguson's opinion didn't play a role since the voting was done, I believe, in March.

I agree with the landmarks achievement though - fantastic idea!
Jonas Blane

Postby macaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 am

Owzat wrote:Let's say there are about 500 footballers at the Premiership clubs who've played this season. There will be plenty of top footballers who never win the POTY season, especially when you get better footballers about and plenty will retire without such an "accolade". Is Giggs so much more deserving than others? Perhaps the PFA should simply have an award for landmarks and lifetime achievements, give an award for say 500 Premiership appearances, three or more Premiership titles etc. So Giggs stuck out at the most successful club in the Premiership and inevitably ended up with a stackload of trophies, is that down to him or to the likes of Cantona, Schmeichel, Beckham, Scholes, Bruce, Pallister, Ferdinand, Vidic, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney etc? He played his part, but without great players around him he wouldn't have won half those. He's way past his prime, even in his prime he wouldn't necessarily have been the best around and the absence of a previous POTY award shows that.

Thats b*ll*c*ks mate, ask any Manc or even neutral and they'll tell you that Giggs was more vital to their prolonged successes than all of those.

Personally I feel he shouldn't have won it this year, but he should have won it at some point in his career - in fairness he is having his best season in about half a decade.
macaroon

Postby Puniverse » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:33 am

I think Giggs deserves it. As a player and gentleman, fellow professionals feel he has made the grade. So be it.
Puniverse

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:34 am

In other news, Paul Scholes had been awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:31 pm

stmichael wrote:In other news, Paul Scholes had been awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine.

:D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:33 pm

sympathy vote and nothing else .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion