Pfa awards... - ...giggs player of the year?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Thingy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:06 am

If you ever need an example of sentimentalness, just take this as one. I mean Nanny your spot on about Xabi, not only has he been immense, he's been immense after being so close to leaving. Where was Lampard aswell? Consistant as ever. Jagielka for Everton? Anelka, leading scorer for most of the season? Its a joke, it really really is.
Thingy

Postby bigmick » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:20 am

Isn't this the one where the players vote though? The results are bizarre admittedly, but if it's a straight vote we can't accuse them of bias I don't suppose.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:31 am

I have no qualms about Giggs recieving the award ,he has probably been the most consistent player in the Premier League since it started .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:40 am

He seems a nice enough fella and to me he isnt full of himself or anything but 12 games and one goal and he gets player of the year? It makes a bit of a joke of the whole thing, maybe he deserved it in years gone by but not this year, im sure even he is a bit embarrassed about the whole thing
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:42 am

Was thinking that when his stats came up for this season. Yes been a model pro throughout his career and probably has warranted the award in years passed, but why the hell did he win it this year, I dont understand this. Who votes?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby DrPepe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:17 am

Greavesie wrote:Was thinking that when his stats came up for this season. Yes been a model pro throughout his career and probably has warranted the award in years passed, but why the hell did he win it this year, I dont understand this. Who votes?

the dumb eejits that we call professional footballers  :laugh:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:21 am

Just for further clarification, I'm aware footballers vote, but which ones? All of them? or is their a representation of each club? How do you qualify to vote?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:23 am

Ridiculous decision.

Giggs is a fine player and deserves all the accolades he's garnered over the years but he's done nothing this year to warrant the award.

Nothing more than a sentimental choice.
ConnO'var

Postby DrPepe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:27 am

Greavesie wrote:Just for further clarification, I'm aware footballers vote, but which ones? All of them? or is their a representation of each club? How do you qualify to vote?

all members of the union can vote

you can nominate 2 players , then they vote for one of the shortlist nominees  - you can't vote for a pro at your own club
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby yolz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:19 am

I know I might get canned for this but I agree with redbeergoggles, I have no qualms about Giggs getting the award either
It's an award voted by fellow professionals and the sentimental vote won it by a mile for Giggs
He has given his best in the league year in year out, is a nice chap, and should be given recognition for all his contributions
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby Cream of Europe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:41 am

Look at Giggs age, then look at his performances this year.  We can go on and on about Stevie, but Giggs is 7 years older then him and putting in performances that make even Stevie blush. United V Chelsea at home is one that springs to mind. You can't buy that. He truly is one of the best to ever play club football.
Cream of Europe

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:47 am

This people should ask themselves if they're deciding the player of the year, or they're making a tribute to a career ending player. It seems the latter. And it's a joke.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:55 am

I'm more sure every year that Man Utd have some agreement with the f*cking FA that means they can vote for themselves.

W*nkers.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:00 am

Load of Bollo,x , Giggs put in a performance that would make Gerrard blush ? :laugh: I could count on one hand the number of great games Giggs has had in the last 5 years, as for Gerrard I would have to use both hands and then feet and even if I was a Man U fan with extra toes I still wouldnt have enough ???

Give him some kind of lifetime award when he retires but ffs save the sympathy/sentimental vote and choose the best player this season
destro

Postby Cream of Europe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:36 am

destro wrote:Load of Bollo,x , Giggs put in a performance that would make Gerrard blush ? :laugh: I could count on one hand the number of great games Giggs has had in the last 5 years, as for Gerrard I would have to use both hands and then feet and even if I was a Man U fan with extra toes I still wouldnt have enough ???

Give him some kind of lifetime award when he retires but ffs save the sympathy/sentimental vote and choose the best player this season

Take the Liverpool glasses off mate. Giggs performs in most matches he play's. Just because its not match winners like Ronaldo or Gerrard, he delivers game after game after game. It's the little things that count and Giggs does them as good if not better then the higher profile players.

Mancs won't be the same when he retires.
Cream of Europe

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion