Another joke award to giggs

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:14 am

First he gets POTY for being a long serving Premiership player, not for performances during the season in question, now he gets SPOTY for probably much the same reason. What a joke, I wonder if he is truly proud or whether he himself realises how much of a farce it is.

Whoever originated this daft but successful campaign should hang their head in shame, any sportsman or woman winning an award for any other reason than deserving performances wouldn't want to win the award that way and it devalues the award itself. Perhaps reality TV has had too much influence, was Giggs even one of the best 10 Premiership players in the period in question?!?!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:05 pm

That's a bitter post if ever I saw one.
I happen to think it's very well deserved. He's a model professional, even if he DOES play for the scum. Never in the headlines for the wrong reasons, looks after himself well, quality player....I don't begrudge him the award.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:44 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:That's a bitter post if ever I saw one.
I happen to think it's very well deserved. He's a model professional, even if he DOES play for the scum. Never in the headlines for the wrong reasons, looks after himself well, quality player....I don't begrudge him the award.

it is bitter but...

what is the award called?

Is it called, aww nice bloke whos played well for 10 years or so... or

sports personality of the YEAR award!!!

It's a farce to the other sportsmen and women of otehr sports who have all excelled, when someone who's done nothing int he past 52 weeks gets the award. Sport today is a joke though, the only reason he won is it was a big betting coup. 66s so everyone bet on it and voted, i only got him at 16s myself... but there you go
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Exactly Daws, we've got a guy who captained the ashes side, the best gymnast in British history, a cyclist picking up gold medals and a British F1 world champion. But no, the footballer who plays for the scum got it. What did he even do that year? win the league and get completely outplayed by Barca.
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Richj » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Disgusting he picked up that award last night, There was a 15 year old boy competing against men and won a gold, Haye also because world champion and they give it to Giggs who spent most of the season on the bench? ?????? So wrong.
Richj

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Worst award given out ever - Sport Personality of the Year - 1. The guy doesnt have a personality and two his achivements are nothing compared to most of the others in that this year . He won a league title - thats all .
Benny The Noon

Postby redhayesy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:05 pm

spot on benny mate, totally agree with you on that. couldn't have put it better myself!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 pm

absolute fooking joke and its not being bitter by any means, had they given him a lifetime achievement or something like that then fine, but this, i would be embarrassed to have been given it. player of the year aswell, joke.

get your money on giggs for the nobel prize next year. :D
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 pm

I watched the ending when they were dishing them out and I swear there was a stunned silence when they said "In second place - Jenson Button". I got the impression that they thought it was nailed on for him to win then when they announced Giggs as the winner, again, a silence before the applause. I think its sits not only with the public, but those in sports itself that this award is a joke.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 am

i'm just wondering how people manage to get 'ryan giggs' and 'personality' in the same sentence.

top player though, it has to be said.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:06 pm

the word inside the bbc is that they feel it was a overseas betting scam, they have asked the police to look into it.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:06 am

wales is only overseas if you live on the wirral

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:48 am

It was the BBC's fault for putting him in line up as a nomination.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion