Pfa awards... - ...giggs player of the year?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby burjennio » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:55 pm

how can Ryan Giggs win player of the year from the bench? Ive seen him start about 2 games for them manc tw@ts this year and every time the hairy tart comes on all the manc fans in my local  go off on how useless he is. How can Xabi Alonso not be on this list? How can Nic Anelka not be on this list? He'd been top scorer this season till he picked up an injury a few weeks back. If this vote was made today SG should win it at a canter.
burjennio

Postby RedRoots » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:34 pm

The list is an absolute joke, Ryan Giggs?? give me a break, great pro and great player in his day but player of the year, gimme a break. Off the top of my head 3 players should be on that list in front of him, Lampard Alonso and Cahill.
RedRoots

Postby akumaface » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:49 pm

GYBS wrote:Remember akumaface its voted by their fellow pros - so any anger must be vented towards them. It has feck all to do with FIFA or ORN

Anyway, i guess they are all there to get :censored: off when SG win the award  :laugh:
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:10 pm

i dont agree with the list either, but you have to remember that this was voted for before we played utd, at a time when utd were 7 points ahead with a game in hand... and had only lost one game (to derby in the carling cup) in 30 matches.

thats why they dominate the list
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Xabi Alonso and Frank Lampard are not on the list

It dosent make any sense
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:01 pm

United's defense was excellent up to the LFC thrashing :buttrock

therefore ferdinand and vidic deserved it.

giggs in there is a joke. he isn't even a regular starter. It is a case of the old guy has been around ages, lets give him an award.pathetic.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:25 pm

Absolute joke. Seriously, Giggs? There messin. Ngog has scored more than him this year. And he's hardly played. Thats just an example from us. Where's Alonso? Lampard's been consistant too, Cahill for the bitters has been good. Too name a few. Really is getting beyond a joke now.
Thingy

Postby Dalglish » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:44 pm

Seeing as Players get to vote mid season maybe they should call it Player of the HALF season ?  :D

It's a joke and I bet my mortgage the Football Writers Player shortlist who vote in April will only have Gerrard and Vidic on it from the Players Player list.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Seen this elsewhere

Another year, another round of nonsensical PFA nominees. Really, these :censored: all have the latest cars, iPhones, Danielle Lloyds and other noted accessories out there; can none of them send an email at the end of April then have their votes tallied up as opposed to posting back their nomination in February?

Bloody February.

All told, Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard are the only ones who've had decent seasons from start to finish from those nominated, barring their time out with respective injuries. Though, then again you could argue that Gerrard has benefitted hugely from a startling upturn in the form of Xabi Alonso (who also has a case for a nomination) this season and that Ferdinand couldn’t cover a bad Vidic performance (versus Liverpool) in the same way that the Serbian has covered countless lapses from the duck-billed one in the past few seasons.

Then, of course, there’ll be those screaming for Frank Lampard, Marouane Fellaini, Kevin Davies, Mark Schwarzer (anyone with a Fantasy League team would put his name forward, points goldmine that he is) and assorted others from outside the list. The earnest Guardian article arguing for Phil Jagielka or Stephen Warnock can only be hours away.

However, the sight of Ronaldo in the final six is a testament to how little thought goes into filling out the nomination form. Thinking about it actually… do you think John Paintsil gives a :censored: about this? Do you think Tim Cahill gives a toss? Does anyone believe that David ‘I’m Great Me’ Bentley didn’t just reel off a few regular names and go about his business for the day when asked to fill out the form?

These footballers, and so many more, got the PFA letter through the post then dictated a few names down the phone to their agent before forgetting the whole thing ever happened.

Agent: “We need another name David…”

Bentley: “Ahm… hmmm, I’m teeing off at three… eh… :censored: it, Ronaldo”.

Cue the “well the fact that my fellow professionals have voted for this means so much” speech from whichever one of the nominees gets this and the circle of nonsense is complete. Gordon Taylor is generally lambasted in the press for his running of the PFA but in this case any criticism is certainly justified.

When a union leader who is on close to £1 million a year in salary can’t organise a :censored: vote amongst several hundred members you really have to question if he has the brains of a Guinness :censored:, never mind what's expected of a man leading one of the most important organisations in football.

Idiot. Idiotic list. That is all.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Not botherd by the joke tbh we know who should be there an thats all that matters, mind you im a little bit suprised my Xabi is not there , an thats why im taking no notice because its just shows they no nothing :nod
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yolz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:30 am

Bloody hell
Granted that the list is voted in by players, it's still a joke
I may get crucified for this, but the only resonable nominee along with SG is giggs
The players probably want to give Giggs a sentimental vote in recognition of his devotion to the league
But Pouting Ronaldo, Lost ferdie and Softy Vidic?
That has got to be a joke
Last edited by yolz on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:33 am

Rio Ferdinand and E Van Der Sar I agree with and Vidic maybe but Giggs and Ronaldo....FFS.

There is only winner of the award this season - Stevie G - end of!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby freddies dead » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 am

alonso is the player of the season
freddies dead

Postby DrPepe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 am

Vidic , ferdinand, gerrard i can agree with as the first 2 have been part of an amazing defensive combo (up until the point at which the vote was taken :eyebrow )

there can be no justification for Giggs winning the "player of the year" whatsoever - unless you count a single great goal against west ham as constituting enough....

a great letter from the f365.com letters page, which i fully agree with

...As a Liverpool fan, it's natural enough that I think Fernando Torres is a bit of a legend, and that he's done the business in several big games this season (a masterclass in Old Trafford, Chelsea at home, Everton away, that late goal against Sunderland and that absolute screamer against Blackburn at the weekend).

Of course, I'd never be mental enough to suggest that he should be in the running for the PFA Player of the Year Award. Why? Because if I did, I'd be laughed out of the room by fans of other clubs who would (quite rightly) point out that he's spent half the season in the treatment room looking after his hamstrings and so hasn't spent enough time on the pitch.

And yet he's still played more than Ryan Giggs.

Those nominations are a joke.

Dave Lillis, Dublin
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am

DrPepe wrote:there can be no justification for Giggs winning the "player of the year" whatsoever - unless you count a single great goal against west ham as constituting enough....

Has Giggs ever won it? I have heard noises from various sources suggesting it would be a fitting tribute, I think because he's never won it before and they see him as a loyal servant and one of the best Premiership players ever.

But that defeats the point of player of the YEAR. Shit happens, great players don't always get what they deserve. How many legends have failed to play at World Cup finals because their country wasn't good enough? Ian Rush for one, George Best for another.

http://bleacherreport.com/article....he-year

Ryan Giggs has never been voted Player of the Year by the sportswriters and other players, which is a miracle considering he has been knocking around for 18 years now.

However, just like my good self, Sir Alex Ferguson is of the opinion he should be considered for this award this season.

Reflecting on Giggs' performance against Derby last week, Ferguson wrote in his programme notes for yesterday's victory over Blackburn: "Ryan had a super game, and it set me wondering whether players or football writers might get round to voting him their player of the year.

"The impeccable way he has played the game, and the wonderful talent he has produced week after week over a career spanning 18 years in the top division, deserves to be recognised."

And why not indeed. Can you think of anyone better to get the award right now? I can't if I'm honest, and surely 18 years has to count for something in a rather lacklustre year for outstanding players.

Vote Giggs everyone!

I googled the words "ryan giggs never won player of the year" and the number of hits on the subject just show how much it is being discussed, wrongly so even if the award means little. Like with various awards ceremonies, surely the PFA etc can make a special award for long serving footballers to honour them rather than have this farce of vote fixing which is what it is. Some campaign to get Giggs voted POTY, the trouble is if he wins it then it will be a token award and not gained for the right reason so he should decline the award.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?....r&meta=

Whoever said there is no room for sentiment in sport is right
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion