Winning mentality - And missed chances

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:00 am

Top and bottom of it we are short of creativity and play too safe against poor sides when we should be going for it.

Mancs points lost against non-top four opposition
Newcastle (h) 1-1
Everton (a) 1-1
Villa (a) 0-0
Tottenham (a) 0-0

Liverpool points lost against non-top four opposition
Aston Villa (a) 0-0
Stoke (h) 0-0
Tottenham (a) 1-2
Fulham (h) 0-0
West Ham (h) 0-0
Hull (h) 2-2
Stoke (a) 0-0
Everton (a) 1-1
Wigan (a) 1-1
Man. City (h) 1-1
Middlesbrough (a) 0-2
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:20 am

s@int wrote:Top and bottom of it we are short of creativity and play too safe against poor sides when we should be going for it.

Mancs points lost against non-top four opposition
Newcastle (h) 1-1
Everton (a) 1-1
Villa (a) 0-0
Tottenham (a) 0-0

Liverpool points lost against non-top four opposition
Aston Villa (a) 0-0
Stoke (h) 0-0
Tottenham (a) 1-2
Fulham (h) 0-0
West Ham (h) 0-0
Hull (h) 2-2
Stoke (a) 0-0
Everton (a) 1-1
Wigan (a) 1-1
Man. City (h) 1-1
Middlesbrough (a) 0-2

And that's the thing right there S@int. Rafa won titles in Spain despite drawing lots of matches, but you don't do it in England these days.

As I've said a couple of times now, I saw an interview with the manager this week where he said we needed to improve in ALL areas, INCLUDING team selection. If, and this is obviously a big if, this means he is prepared to extend the experiment with a reduction in styling and is also going to look at being much more aggressive in the way we approach matches, then we might be able to do something.

We'll need to do better than this season though, and I say that not as a criticism of what we've achived already but simply as a prediction that I think Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City will be a lot stronger next season. Whichever way you look at it, beating both the Mancs and Chelsea Home and Away in the same season is probably a once in a while experience, and we are going to need to do much better more consistently against the lesser lights.

Given that our problem is in breaking teams down, and given how good Gerrard and Torres are, the obvious areas in which we could improve are in the wide areas, and as first swap for our two star men.

As far as the wide areas are concerned, I'm begining to becoem a little concerned with Riera's rollercoaster in terms of form. He dropped right off a couple of months back, looked like he was coming back and then was (I thought) very poor at Old Trafford. Is he in the answer? I'm becoming increasingly doubtful on that question.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 pm

our long ball, hit the fast man up front as soon as you can is suited to teams who come to beat us. however, when we play teams that would be happy with a draw, give us the ball, and sit back, we lack creativity and subtlety(think beardsley)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion