Winning mentality - And missed chances

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:21 am

Ok, I'm going to propose a debate, in which we'll assume that we have discussed enough about the manager, and we've reached the conclussion that he makes mistakes, some of them big.

Once that is accepted, and discussed, what the fúck is going on in European games, with some players?

Why when Dossena entered the box, I knew he'd score, and in league there are games in which we miss 9 chances to make a bloody goal?

What is it? Is it the Anfield atmosphere? should we have this electric atmosphere in the league too?

Is it perhaps that the players want to give the league title so badly to the fans, that responsability weights too much sometimes?

Even if you admit a manager makes mistakes, you have to admit that the confidence of players is different in nights like this. Of course, watching both Torres and Gerrard together again gives morale to the rest of the team, but there's more than that.

Opinions?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:30 am

Its something you cant put your finger on Sabes , whenever we play a top team weathe it be in the league here or in The champions league we seem to play better ,We seem just step up another gear, An yet we play the likes of Stoke an Wigan an the players mentality seem to drop to its only a small team why bother ,if you know what i mean. This season an a few seasons now we seem to raise our game when we play the likes of the Mancs and Barca i just dont understand it meself. Its a shame we dont play the big teams every week lol
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:31 am

I think its simple - The pressure is off. I know how stupid that sounds but the players and manager seem to be able to go into the CL with confidence and a knowledge that they are one of the best teams in the competition. In the league the pressure to get 3 points is on from the very first whistle of a match and it seems to get to the players.

There have been a lot of games this season at Anfield in the league that the crowd started to moan and complain if it was still 0-0 after 30 mins. The strain of ending 19 years without a title sometimes shows in the players. i think that is why we seem to be able to do better away. In the CL its not like that at all and I think the players embrace that and play with less pressure on the shoulders
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:32 am

What it proves conclusively is that we are capable of playing like this in the big games, be it the CL or the PL. However you cannot play consistently like this over an entire PL season. To do this we need a full squad of players all at the same high level, which will enable you mix and match without dropping in quality. IMO, it is the lack of options that is killing us....

This is Mourinho commenting on the Manc:

They have a top team, they're very well organised with lots of options in defence, " he went on.

"They don't concede many to the opposition, and in attack they have a group of incredible strikers and he [Ferguson] can choose the combination he wants.

"If he prefers a target man, he goes for Berbatov. If he prefers speedy movement and transition, he goes for Tevez. If he prefers a winger he goes for different qualities.

"He can do it. He has this ammunition in his hands and he's clever in the way he does it. They are never predictable.
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby Madmax » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:34 am

I just dont understand why we dont perform as wel as we did today in the premier league. Could be due to reponsability but really TBH i dont understand. When we have a big match we always tend to play our hearts out and play brill. Against the big four we have done well this season and nights of magic like tonight is another example.

Maybe when a match is hyped up and given alot of importance it gives our player the right mentality to go and win a game..
Its an odd one mate...

We all know one thing though rafa benitez is the manager for the champs league and know no will doubt that!!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Not Too Xabi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:51 am

My take on this is that Rafa's tactical acumen shines far brighter in games against top sides than the teams languishing in the depths of the prem. Also, the better teams have an ambition to beat us rather than stifle us and this plays into our hands.

When teams try to go toe-to-toe with us and take the game the game to us, it plays to our strengths and we can exploit the spaces created.

When teams "park the bus" I think we simply lack the pace, width, guile and options from the bench to open them up and we rely on magic from Gerrard or Torres.

Our full strength first team is a match for anyone in world football but as has been discussed to death, we simply lack the strength in depth to do enough in the league over a full season.
Not Too Xabi

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:53 am

Good tactics will give you a better game, and more chances.

But besides the chances, don't we look like more lethal in that last pass, and that last finnish, in that last action in which tactics have fúck all to do with the game?

Weren't we today very effective, besides playing very well?

Only Casillas avoided a total massacre.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:55 am

Sabre wrote:Good tactics will give you a better game, and more chances.

But besides the chances, don't we look like more lethal in that last pass, and that last finnish, in that last action in which tactics have fúck all to do with the game?

Well we did tonight because Madrid came to score and therefore left spaces.

Try doing the same thing against Stoke and a 10 man defence
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 am

Well, Sabre, I was going to open a thread about the exact same thing, but you beat me to it. Great minds and all that.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 am

My own view is we showed a passion and comitment tonight that is often sorely missing in League games. The unpalatable truth is that some of our players don't give the same amount of effort and importance to games in the League as they do to the big European nights. How can the same players give a performance like tonight and yet whimper through games at places like Middlesbrough and Stoke?

The only thing I can put it down to is in Europe the whole team is commited to the cause, in the league some are happy to pick up their wages and wait of another payday.
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:59 am

I really think Madrid let us play tonight and left so much space, lets be honest it could have been seven. In the Premiership we dont get that space, especially at home and if one or two are missing we dont have the depth to unlock these teams
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 am

Dundalk wrote:I really think Madrid let us play tonight and left so much space, lets be honest it could have been seven. In the Premiership we dont get that space, especially at home and if one or two are missing we dont have the depth to unlock these teams

Accepting that Madrid "let us play" mate, when have you seen the players showing such commitment to be first to the ball like they were tonight. Attack with the freedom they did to night. We poured men forward at times, admittedly the spaces were there for us to exploit, but too many times in the league the space is there but no one makes the run to use it.

Madrid were naive in the way they pushed both full backs up, but FFS even Kuyt was making flicks and passing FORWARDS tonight.

Too many times in the league we play no mistakes football, tonight we showed no fear and ripped them apart. While the Torres we saw tonight was the Torres of last season, fighting for every ball, chasing down defenders and attacking when he had the chance.
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:13 am

I agree Saint that even if we are given space it is up to us to use it and tonight was we played in a way that I have not seen in a long time, Some of our players looked possessed. You then have to ask is did Rafa give them the freedom to go out and do that tonight knowing Madrid had to push forward and if so are we to negative in the league?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby europian-kings » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 am

I think it is down to one thing......the opposition.

Being the "Underdogs" really suits us. This is why we have had do many great victories since rafa has been here...Chelsea (2), Arsenal, Inter, Juve, Barca, AC, Madrid.....

Each and every single fan raises their voice because they are so pumped up facing the tough opponants.

Look back to the 2006 last 16....The year after we beat Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan we draw out Benfica and are no longer dubbed as "the underdogs"...The outcome? We lose 3-0 on agg.

We have shown it in the league this season by not losing against either chelsea, arsenal or united (i hope this is stil the case after saturday).

Against big opponants we tend to rise to the challenge and pick up the results where as against the "minor" teams we don't play with the same mentality and approach. I suppose the fact that half the teams we play in the league play for the draw against us mind you...
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:18 am

Not Too Xabi wrote:My take on this is that Rafa's tactical acumen shines far brighter in games against top sides than the teams languishing in the depths of the prem. Also, the better teams have an ambition to beat us rather than stifle us and this plays into our hands.

When teams try to go toe-to-toe with us and take the game the game to us, it plays to our strengths and we can exploit the spaces created.

When teams "park the bus" I think we simply lack the pace, width, guile and options from the bench to open them up and we rely on magic from Gerrard or Torres.

Our full strength first team is a match for anyone in world football but as has been discussed to death, we simply lack the strength in depth to do enough in the league over a full season.

Good post.

Agree with that totally.

We have the players to win the premiership.... barring a couple of true wingers. When we play teams that prefer not to lose rather than go for the win, the absence of wingers is less problematic. Simply because, the attacking team leaves spaces that would normally be created by marauding wingers/fullbacks. The additional space plays into the hands of our attacking players when we are set up the way we are.
ConnO'var

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion