Youth team - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:37 pm

There's understandably going to be a lot of talk about Sterling after last night. I like what I've seen of the kid but lets not get overly carried away. You could argue that we have made mistakes in the past with the likes of Insua for example being thrust into the first team picture too soon and not really being able to cut it on a consistent basis.

There is no question that he needs nurturing but it is also without question that needs must and giving him a bit of a taste of the big time will hopefully aid his progression, maybe in the Europa League at first, a bit like what we did with Shelvey.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:28 pm

I was really impressed with Coady.  Seems to have very nice poise in the midfield and his passing is very nice.  Good looking player.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:32 pm

I was flicking back an forth between the game yesterday and got to see about 40 minutes. Not for the first time i was very impressed with Sterling. He's very much an Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright-Phillips type of player but I wasn't aware his finishing was as good as he showed it to be yesterday. He also showed some strength and hustle yesterday. I am also impressed with young Flannagan at Right Back, looks like a strong tenacious player who has got the attributes you like from a full-back.

Anyone know what has happened to Stephen Darby? 18 months ago i thought he was pretty much neck and neck with Martin Kelly but obviouls it's Kelly who has made all the progress.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Scottbot wrote:Anyone know what has happened to Stephen Darby? 18 months ago i thought he was pretty much neck and neck with Martin Kelly but obviouls it's Kelly who has made all the progress.

he's on loan at notts county and doing well by all accounts.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby worcester_red » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

GRIMM599 wrote:looks sharp!

Raheem Sterling

Looks very very good, seems like we have a good crop of players emerging, lets hope kenny can do a better job of nurturing them than Rafa or the experienced Woy could.
worcester_red

Postby mramo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:07 pm

stmichael wrote:I like what I've seen of the kid but lets not get overly carried away. You could argue that we have made mistakes in the past with the likes of Insua for example being thrust into the first team picture too soon and not really being able to cut it on a consistent basis.

The difference between Insua & Sterling is that Insua was never raised through the academy ranks. He signed directly from another club from another continent so was adjusting to life in the same year he made his debut.

Like Fowler & Owen, thrusting Sterling into first team action would be great experience for him (especially Carling Cup matches & closing games of the Premier League season) would certainly be worth a try. Owen scored on his debut against Wimbledon in 1997 & see what happened to him from 97-04.
mramo

Postby Scottbot » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:14 pm

I'd be surprised if Sterling and Suso were not figuring in the 1st team squad next season for the pre-season tour and also League Cup games.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Really excited about the future weve got some outstanding talent coming through. I think were gonna see a Leeds or United scenario were 4 or 5 are gonna come through together and put us on a different level. Ive always thought out of Suso and Sterling that Sterling will be the better player as his pace and finishing ability will just give him the edge. Both are gonna be world class though and you can quote me on that.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby cptrios » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Man...that highlight reel makes me a bit upset that we just laid out so much money on two young (well, one young and one fairly young) strikers. If this kid can translate that talent into the PL...yeesh. Seems to me, though, that he's a ways away from a consistent first-team presence, if only because of his size. Should absolutely be given some playing time in the Europa League, though...and in the last few PL games if 4th looks totally out of reach.
cptrios

Postby PabloMedina28 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:21 pm

RAHEEM STERLING SET TO WRITE HIS NAME IN LIVERPOOL’S HISTORY BOOKS

Currently on his half-term school holidays, Raheem Sterling looks set to write his name in Liverpool‘s history books by featuring in the Reds’ Europa League tie against Sparta Prague tomorrow. 16-year-old Sterling would break the record set by teammate Jack Robinson and become Liverpool’s youngest ever first team player if he’s given a run out by Kenny Dalglish.

A lot of plaudits have gone the way of 16 year old Raheem Sterling this week after his five goals against Southend, and although the comparisons to John Barnes are way too premature, there are certain things about the Liverpool winger’s style of play that have really caught the eye and excited some people who don’t normally get sucked in by the tag of “A Star in the Making.” His performance in the 9-0 win in the FA Youth Cup has got many people chatting about what the future may hold for the player.

Liverpool did exceptionally well to fight off the interest of Manchester United, Man City, Fulham and Arsenal when they signed the player in February last year. In a sizeable £300,000 four year deal, the Reds hoped they had got one of the most exciting prospects in the country, and his display last night would have gone a long way in justifying the investment in him. The deal would have put a lot of pressure on the 15 year old but he is a man who seems to take most things in his stride. According to QPR head of development Steve Gallen, Sterling lives and breathes football:

“He’s not interested in all the stuff around him – whether it’s in the street, the car park or wherever; he just wants to play football all the time”

The former QPR player was born in Jamaica but has played in many of England’s youth teams. He joined Rangers at 10 years old, and at 15 some coaches said that Sterling was at the same level as Wayne Rooney was in his development at the same age, but more widely held comparisons have been made with Theo Walcott. A fast, pacey attacking midfield player who can “pass, shoot, head, score goals, tackle, defend” according to Steve Gallen, Sterling no doubt has tremendous prospects and it certainly shows that the policy of bringing in expensive young talent from other clubs is on the way to working.

It is definitely not the time to get ahead of ourselves though. The fifth round of the FA Youth Cup is the furthest that Southend have ever got in their history and the class of the Reds players shone through last night. The attributes that Sterling possesses though are what impresses many. He has incredible pace, great dribbling ability, he has an eye for a goal and has the ability to use his left as well as his right foot to keep opposition full backs guessing as to whether he will cut inside to shoot or go out wide to put a cross into the box. Such natural ability cannot be coached, and harnessed in the right way, Sterling really has a great chance of making it at the top level. Certainly with the experience of Rodolfo Borrell, the winger has more than a fighting chance.

His second and fourth goals demonstrate his devastating speed and directness. He ghosts past two Southend defenders after cutting in from the left to finish with aplomb for his second while his fourth is similar, taking advantage of a tired defence to go past the opposition as if it they weren’t even there to slot home the team’s seventh of the game.

He is still probably a couple of years away from the first team. At 16, his body is yet to develop fully and his slight build is the only slight concern about him. His speed, step-overs, dribbling ability and shooting accuracy all point to an exciting future though and we will no doubt be hearing a lot more in the years to come. It could even be sooner than some imagine too as he has been given the ’31’ jersey indicating he his in the thoughts of manager Dalglish. Kenny, Damien Comolli, Steve Clarke and Sammy Lee were all at the match on Monday. Perhaps a spot on the bench for the Europa League match tomorrow? You never know, but this 16 year old is really one to watch
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby mramo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Our youth squad are drawn to play Scum United at Anfield in the FA Youth Cup. Scum beat Newcastle 1-0 tonight.
mramo

Postby zarababe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:53 am

worcester_red wrote:
GRIMM599 wrote:looks sharp!

Raheem Sterling

Looks very very good, seems like we have a good crop of players emerging, lets hope kenny can do a better job of nurturing them than Rafa or the experienced Woy could.

Actually Kenny has already credited Rafa for the current produce/set-up/management at the Academy. Rafa did a lot to bolster this set-up and hopefully the club will reep the rewards in the next few years if not sooner  :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion