Disgrace to the memory of our war dead - Football related

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby taff » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Many British people were conscientious objectors not because they were scared but principled. 

Its a tricky argument as I feel strongly about the silence and respect to soldiers as its peope from streets like we are from who tend to fight and die and a school friend of mine was killed in Ireland although I can confirm he didnt have a clue about politics just wanted a career in the army and we came from a high unemployment area.  But the irish history is littered with atrocities by the Brits and I am amazed that anyone arguing about respecting history doesnt know any of this.

On mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter etc, and if two people from different sides argue it will rarely be resolved.  For the record I am British and Protestant but it doesnt mean I am proud of all British History.  In fact Churchill is hated in South Wales for ordering troops to fire on striking miners, but History will correctly record him as the man who kept the world free.

My argument against Celtic is that it is a club on british Soil and Two minutes once a year is something that should be respected then if they did that I would be happy for them to protest about whatever they wanted. I feel the same about the white poppy,  just one day a year to show respect to the fallen and injured, the vast majority were decent people who found themselves in a hellish situation and surely we as a diverse nation can have this respect within ourselves.  I symapthise with Irish history and in parts I dont either, I also agree with the search for peace but we have to allow time for respect for those that sacrificed and then go back to our various viewpoints.

Just one more thought, I was hugely impressed by the Ireland England rugby international in Croke Park especially th erespect shown to the English anthem, it showed Ireland as a mature country and considering the history there with the shooting it was immensely moving to see the Irish nation respect the country that committed those murders.  Now that is what I call respect and maturity
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Big Niall wrote:Below is a cut and paste from wikidpedia of a former British army major's comments on a time in the 1970s when the British soldiers shot randomly into a crowd. Do you respect these soldiers (use search  on google - blood sunday derry, if you want to read the full story)

The city's coroner, retired British army Major Hubert O'Neill, issued a statement on 21 August 1973, at the completion of the inquest into the people killed.[29] He declared:

“ This Sunday became known as Bloody Sunday and bloody it was. It was quite unnecessary. It strikes me that the Army ran amok that day and shot without thinking what they were doing. They were shooting innocent people. These people may have been taking part in a march that was banned but that does not justify the troops coming in and firing live rounds indiscriminately. I would say without hesitation that it was sheer, unadulterated murder. It was murder.

over a hundred rounds were fired directly into the fleeing crowds by troops under the command of Major Ted Loden. Twelve more were killed[21], many of them as they attempted to aid the fallen. Fourteen others were wounded, twelve by shots from the soldiers and two knocked down by armoured personnel carriers.

Yeah the Bloody Sunday was a disgrace mate and a massive blot on the British Army. The whole Northern Ireland saga is a minefield -the whole of my mums family live there and have had to put up with loads of :censored: and my mate was badly hurt back in the late 80s when the RAF Bishops Court was bombed by terrorists. Its a whole shocking saga from start to finish and both side guilty of a lot of stuff - The young soldiers where following orders and the terrorists where following orders. Its the guys at the top that should be held accountable.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:39 pm

I agree that there were bad things done on all side and would never try to justify putting bombs in public places. I understand why many people in Northern Ireland find it difficult to let go of their grudges.

Just like many people who had relatives killed by the IRA will never accept people like Gerry Adams as "reformed", many people who had relatives wrongly killed by British soldiers will never show respect for that institution.

I'm just grateful that I never lived in any of those bad times and live in an age where Irish/British/German etc all get along fine.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Yeah it is hard mate - my family has lived through it and being in the military myself i have had numerous tours to afghan iraq and old yugoslavia - some of the things i have seen are shocking - worse thing was mass graves in Kosovo - what they warlords did there was shocking and unhuman
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:31 pm

Bam wrote:
who ridiculously sing 'God save the Queen'

But John what is wrong with them singing that considering the Celtic supporters sing the Irish national anthem ?

They don't.  At least not when I've ever been to Parkhead (admittedly I've never been to a Celtic - Rangers game and it's conceivable that they may sing it then to wind up the opposing fans).  But I've been to Rangers games and heard GSTQ plenty of times.  Perhaps you've been to see more Celtic and Rangers games than me.

But hypothetically if Celtic fans did sing the Irish anthem at games I'd find that ridiculous also.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 am

yeah anyway like i was saying, dirty club for dirty fans. you all know i'm right. right?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:34 pm

taff wrote:Many British people were conscientious objectors not because they were scared but principled. 

Its a tricky argument as I feel strongly about the silence and respect to soldiers as its peope from streets like we are from who tend to fight and die and a school friend of mine was killed in Ireland although I can confirm he didnt have a clue about politics just wanted a career in the army and we came from a high unemployment area.  But the irish history is littered with atrocities by the Brits and I am amazed that anyone arguing about respecting history doesnt know any of this.

On mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter etc, and if two people from different sides argue it will rarely be resolved.  For the record I am British and Protestant but it doesnt mean I am proud of all British History.  In fact Churchill is hated in South Wales for ordering troops to fire on striking miners, but History will correctly record him as the man who kept the world free.

My argument against Celtic is that it is a club on british Soil and Two minutes once a year is something that should be respected then if they did that I would be happy for them to protest about whatever they wanted. I feel the same about the white poppy,  just one day a year to show respect to the fallen and injured, the vast majority were decent people who found themselves in a hellish situation and surely we as a diverse nation can have this respect within ourselves.  I symapthise with Irish history and in parts I dont either, I also agree with the search for peace but we have to allow time for respect for those that sacrificed and then go back to our various viewpoints.

Just one more thought, I was hugely impressed by the Ireland England rugby international in Croke Park especially th erespect shown to the English anthem, it showed Ireland as a mature country and considering the history there with the shooting it was immensely moving to see the Irish nation respect the country that committed those murders.  Now that is what I call respect and maturity

good post taff
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum