Need help badly! - Computer related!

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:29 pm

I bought a Geforce MX420 and installed it on the slot on my motherboard, when i turn on my comp, my monitor is blank.

I've tried visiting other websites for help and found out this is the most common problem relating to graphics card problems but it is to complicated for me to understand!

I've looked and tutorials, forums and Q&A for help but cant seem to understand

I need someone to tell me in simple english.

chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:54 pm

A bit more info Chiggz.

Thats a fairly old card and a budget option, I believe.

Is it PCI or AGP?

Have you fitted it properly into the slot?

It sounds like one of a number of things:

1. It isn't fitted into the correct slot (unlikely).
2. It isn't fitted correctly (gently but firmly push it the whole way down and that all the connecters fit completely into the slot).
3. Your computer power supply isn't powerful enough to supply it (what wattage is it?).
4. The card is faulty.

I doubt its a driver problem as you would have to get a signal regardless.

Have you connected it properly to the monitor? Can you get into the BIOS screen at boot up (usually by immediately pressing F8 or F11)? If you get no signal whatsoever when you switch on your PC then its definitely one of the 4 problems above.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:57 pm

Another possible problem: if your PC has a built in on board graphics card (i.e its a chip on the motherboard) you'll almost certainly have to disable that first before you can get the new card to even blink. Go to your PC manufacturers website to find instructions on how to disable any on board graphics cards.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:00 am

Their could be various probs, check the instructions as some manufacturer suggest loading their software and then fitting the card, I know it should stupid but install it as it says in the instructions, believe me I work in IT  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:06 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Another possible problem: if your PC has a built in on board graphics card (i.e its a chip on the motherboard) you'll almost certainly have to disable that first before you can get the new card to even blink. Go to your PC manufacturers website to find instructions on how to disable any on board graphics cards.

whats a onboard graphics card?

This is confusing
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:06 am

Its most likely that you already have an onboard graphics card located on the motherboard and this will almost certainly have to be disabled first.

It could be something as simple as the new card not been seated properly in the AGP/PCI slot (it could be a PCI card as thats an old card: double check) or you haven't inserted the graphics to monitor cable in the correct adaptor.

Unless its a second hand card then its most likely not to be faulty.

The software and drivers should be irrelevant as you should still be able to get a boot up signal and windows will load even with the generic graphics driver software contained in windows.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:09 am

Start from the start: what make is your PC and how old is it?

If its something like a Hewlett Packard and is more than 2 or 3 years old (which it probably is as cards from the last 3 years in bog standard computers will be more powerful than the card you are about to instal) then chances are, the graphics will be located on the motherboard.

It will probably have to be disabled through "Remove Hardware: in Windows.

What version Windows do you have?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:10 am

I definitly have fitted into the slot correctly and properly.

I also have a tv out on my graphics card, does that have anything do with my problem

its nvidia geforce 4 mx 420 its an agp
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:10 am

windows xp pent 4

comp brand is 'Tiny' and is about 2 -3 years old
Last edited by chiggz_likes_owen on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:18 am

Are you sure its in the AGP slot?

The AGP slot will be located above the PCI slots and normally its brown, whereas the PCI slots are usually white. It should be slightly longer.

If the AGP slot was empty on your computer normally then you almost certainly have an on board graphics chip instead of a card.

Make sure the new card is properly seated. There should be a number of "teeth" on the bottom of the card, maybe three or four. All of these must be fully into the slot, and the card should not be raised or elevated as it sits.

If your new card has a tv out, make sure that the monitor adaptor is in the graphics out, which will be a slot with two locking pins and not the tv out slot.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:18 am

i also forgot to mention that my comp is actually running and is aware i have new hardware its just my monitor
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:21 am

chiggz_likes_owen wrote:i also forgot to mention that my comp is actually running and is aware i have new hardware its just my monitor

What do you mean that your computer is running and is aware its got new hardware?

Can you see any picture at all?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:31 am

no but when i put my old g. card back it tells me recently u have installed new hardware
Last edited by chiggz_likes_owen on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:34 am

The new hardware your computer is detecting is actually your old graphics card, not the new one. Everytime you take out a card and then put it back in, then the PC thinks its new hardware.

It could be a power problem. Your power supply might be over loaded. Have you many other cards or mulitiple hard drives installed? If you do, try disconnecting a few.

BTW, is the card new or second hand, as that card has been largely discontinued? If its second hand there's a chance thats its faulty.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:37 am

the card from my friends dell comp
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum