Disgrace to the memory of our war dead - Football related

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:37 am

Big Niall wrote:I haven't posted in ages as fed up with getting slaughtered if my view on a football issue differs - still check the hot girls pictures though :)

The poppy commemorates the fallen British soldiers in ALL wars. As this includes soldiers who fought to colonise Ireland I wouldn't remain silent for the men (over many centuries) who did horrible things here.

If the poppy is about the soldiers who died in World War 1, then I would have as much respect for them as any other person here.

:no

what horrible things would that be ?

Would that include my little cousin loosing her Arm cause of a terrorist in Belfast ?
Last edited by GYBS on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:39 am

JBG wrote:
GYBS wrote:The small minority of Celtic fans are fecking mindless terrwats , anyone who doesnt observe the 2 mins silence doesnt deserve to be in this country (England,Wales,Scotland.N Ireland and Eire) and need to grow up very quickly and realise what people sacraficed.

Eire isn't "in this country".

sorry wasnt meaning Eire is part of this country was meaning this country ie england all the others close by - ie scotland wales etc.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:42 am

JBG wrote:
GYBS wrote:The small minority of Celtic fans are fecking mindless terrwats , anyone who doesnt observe the 2 mins silence doesnt deserve to be in this country (England,Wales,Scotland.N Ireland and Eire) and need to grow up very quickly and realise what people sacraficed.

Thats fine by us.  :pirate

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:47 am

Bam wrote:
JBG wrote:

Alrighty matey!  :pirate
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Bam » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:08 pm

JBG wrote:
Bam wrote:
JBG wrote:

Uh Huh me hearty  :pirate

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 pm

I need to clarify my above post.

I have huge respect for the millions of British men that had ordinary lives and went to fight in WW1 and WW2 when they knew that they mightn't survive.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:40 pm

And what about servicemen working around the world today ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:42 pm

My first post was about the serviceman who did things like opening fire and randomly shooting into a crowd watching a football game in Dublin, killing 16 people.

Random shooting in India killing hundreds (or was it thousands) of unarmed protestors.

I think todays British soldiers are honourable and I have total respect for them.
Last edited by Big Niall on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Bam wrote:
JBG wrote:
Bam wrote:
JBG wrote:

Uh Huh me hearty  :pirate

Har har shipmate!  :D  :pirate
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:47 pm

Big Niall wrote:My first post was about the serviceman who did things like opening fire and randomly shooting into a crowd watching a football game in Dublin, killing 16 people.

Random shooting in India killing hundreds (or was it thousands) of unarmed protestors.

I think todays British soldiers are honourable and I have total respect for them.

British soldiers did that ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 pm

GYBS wrote:
Big Niall wrote:My first post was about the serviceman who did things like opening fire and randomly shooting into a crowd watching a football game in Dublin, killing 16 people.

Probably.

I worked with an Aussie guy who went to Afghanistan. Now considering the Aussie's see us as a kind of rival (sporting wise) and have pretty high opinions of themselves.

I asked my mate what he thought of the British soldiers, expecting to hear the old 'Whinging Pom' thing and all that. He spoke very highly of them to my surprise and thats saying something coming from an Aussie. He said they were very good soldiers, he also said the Aussies were to. I dont doubt that either.

Then I asked him about the American soliders and he smiled and said ........ " They have all the gear but no idea"  :D

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:05 pm

GYBS wrote:

On pain of death.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:20 pm

Bam wrote:
GYBS wrote:

Probably.

I worked with an Aussie guy who went to Afghanistan. Now considering the Aussie's see us as a kind of rival (sporting wise) and have pretty high opinions of themselves.

I asked my mate what he thought of the British soldiers, expecting to hear the old 'Whinging Pom' thing and all that. He spoke very highly of them to my surprise and thats saying something coming from an Aussie. He said they were very good soldiers, he also said the Aussies were to. I dont doubt that either.

Then I asked him about the American soliders and he smiled and said ........ " They have all the gear but no idea"  :D

why is it a surprise that he spoke highly of them ? British Military have been working to a high standard for years working with poor equipment - out of date etc . we are now only getting stuff the yanks have been using for over ten years .

And as for this shooting in Dublin ? Is it all confirmed and when did it happen ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:22 pm

GYBS wrote:

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish to portray modern day Britain as bad, as I like it, my issue is with the old colonial Britain.

When Ireland was at war with Britain, one morning the Irish soldiers broke into a military barracks and killed members of British intelligence. In retaliation, instead of killing Irish soldiers (which would be fair enough in any war), they went to Croke Park (where we now play Rugby, but is a stadium for Irish sports) and fired randomly into the crowd.

The main area of the stadium is called Hill 16 in honour of the dead (including a goalkeeper)

I don't know much about the Indian thing, it was happening about Ghandi's time, it is in the Ghandi film too. The below paragraph is a cut and paste from wikedpedia

The Jallianwala Bagh Massacre, alternatively known as the Amritsar Massacre, was named after the Jallianwala Bagh (Garden) in the northern Indian city of Amritsar where, on April 13, 1919, British Indian Army soldiers under the command of Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer opened fire on an unarmed gathering of men, women and children. The firing lasted about 10 minutes and 1650 rounds were fired, or 33 rounds per soldier. Official British Raj sources placed the fatalities at 379. According to private sources there were over 1000 deaths, with more than 2000 wounded,[1] and Civil Surgeon Dr. Smith indicated that there were 1,526 casualties.[2]

I know I am threading a fine line, so I wish to restate my respect for all the British soldiers who died in WW1,WW2 and the wars since then but not the above soldiers.
Last edited by Big Niall on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:25 pm

When was the dublin shooting ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum