Alonso & Lucas
No votes
Alonso & Plessis
2%
Other (please specify)
2%

Total votes : 45

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Gerrard and Alonso are the best two Central midfield players at the club by a comfortable distance
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 05, 2008 7:00 pm

442 - Gerrard and Mascherano, no question.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 05, 2008 7:08 pm

In a conventional 4-4-2 I'd go with Gerrard and Mascherano.  I don't disagree with those that advocate putting Gerrard on the right and playing Alonso with Mascherano but I just don't think Stevie relishes that role and, let's be honest, forcing our best player into a role he's dubious about is not a winning strategy (despite no player being bigger than the club yadda yadda yadda). 

If we do go 4-4-2 with Masch and Gerrard in the middle for most matches, though, we had sure as sh!t better sign some better wingers/strikers than we have to help Torres in attack.  Gerrard will get forward and chip in with the goals, no question, but--thanks to his defensive duties--he will not get froward to the same effect as we saw in Feb. and March after switching to 4-2-3-1 nor to the same effect as we saw him do from wide right two seasons ago.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby hello_red » Mon May 05, 2008 7:13 pm

I very much doubt we will be playing 442 next year as 433/4231 formation suits us in my opinion and can be very attacking. But it cries out for pace and a tough mentallity! so

Mascherano/Plessis

Barry/Lucas

Gerrard/Barry/Bentley

Bentley/Kuyt?                               Babel/?

Torres/Huntellar?

Our defence will be solid enough next season, Agger depending. To much chopping and changing due to injury and having to rest ageing legs. Get in some qulaity at both full backs, do our best to get Lahm (the type of player we should be going for) and some acute buys at left of midfield. I think a spend of about 50 million will cover us. But we will recoup with getting rid of some awful dross.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Torres25 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:15 am

well i think the formation we have now is more attacking then the 4-4-2 formation so id stick with that
Torres25

Postby stmichael » Tue May 06, 2008 11:58 am

I just don't see us playing 4-4-2 next season if I'm honest.

The general consensus of many on here is that Gerrard and Mascherano is our best central midfield combination in a 4-4-2. I disagree. Even though its good in theory I don't think we will have the same fluidity in passing with those two in there. Not only does Gerrard largely "forget" his defensive duties at times, but even more because he's completely unable to take control of the game with his passing. He's always looking for that killer ball, when he should often play it more simple.

Gerrard is a great box to box midfielder but I can't really remember him taking up that role this season. Earlier, he seemed to have been your conventional attacking midfielder (albeit a very good one), and recently he's been more in the withdrawn striker role. I do think we could do with somebody in the box to box role, given our failure to capitalise on the counter attack, and problems linking defence to attack (leading to hoofing, etc). And who better for that role than Gerrard? But it seems its either not the role he wants, or not the one Rafa sees him in.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Tue May 06, 2008 12:22 pm

stmichael wrote:I just don't see us playing 4-4-2 next season if I'm honest.

The general consensus of many on here is that Gerrard and Mascherano is our best central midfield combination in a 4-4-2. I disagree. Even though its good in theory I don't think we will have the same fluidity in passing with those two in there. Not only does Gerrard largely "forget" his defensive duties at times, but even more because he's completely unable to take control of the game with his passing. He's always looking for that killer ball, when he should often play it more simple.

Gerrard is a great box to box midfielder but I can't really remember him taking up that role this season. Earlier, he seemed to have been your conventional attacking midfielder (albeit a very good one), and recently he's been more in the withdrawn striker role. I do think we could do with somebody in the box to box role, given our failure to capitalise on the counter attack, and problems linking defence to attack (leading to hoofing, etc). And who better for that role than Gerrard? But it seems its either not the role he wants, or not the one Rafa sees him in.

Rafa should sign player so he can play either formation, I think we'll all be mighty p'd off if at least one quality striker isn't signed.

As for Mascherano/Gerrard/Alonso, you can include them all in a 4-3-3 but in a 4-4-2 Gerrard would have to play on the right. I think Mascherano allows Gerrard that freedom to attack that maybe Alonso wouldn't, keeping control in front of the back four and his passing has improved IMO. How many of Alonso's 'hollywood passes' come off? About the same as Gerrard's hit to miss ratio I'd guess. I think Gerrard's 1-2 play and link up play with Torres produces more than Alonso's through balls
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed May 07, 2008 2:27 am

Looks like Gerrard and Mascherano are our 2 best central midfielders.... :buttrock
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 am

The_Rock wrote:Looks like Gerrard and Mascherano are our 2 best central midfielders.... :buttrock

You would have thought the voting would have been more decisive, less than 2/3 offers a bit of doubt
Last edited by Owzat on Wed May 07, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion