Who should be our 1st choice central defenders? - Given the players we have for now

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby soworse » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:13 am

So it's Hyypia and Henchoz isn't it...

or is it?

Well, I'll go out on a limb and say that, personally, I actually prefer the Hyypia and Carra partnership :)

for all his tackling heroics, i just feel henchoz seems too intent to hoof the ball into touch once any opponent is in a 10-mile radius. But then again, that's just my point of view ???

In any case, for permutation sake, here are the candidates i can think of for the 2 slots:

hyypia
henchoz
carragher
biscan
diao
traore
josemi
hamann (?!)

What do you guys think is the way forward for us?

traore-diao anyone? haha :p

since hamann is 'replaced' by alonso, should we use him as defensive cover? can we? hmm...

or is the current squad of defenders simply not good enuff?

What do you say?
"I have said all along that we need time to improve as a team and it will probably be three or four months before we are playing at the level I want."- Benitez 29/08/04.
soworse

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:20 am

the scary thing about that list is that the only guy with real genuine pace is BISCAN. :( pace is something we really haven't addressed at the back and i feel that it will cost us dear against teams such as arsenal.

hyypia should obviously be first choice as he is still a superb reader of the game and good in the air. jamie carragher has come on leaps and bounds as a centre half and should be alongside sami. it appears as if hyypia should be fit for the west brom game but if not then play henchoz, NOT traore. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:40 am

Lack of pace in our centre backs is an issue we've been discussing on and off for many months. The problem is still not resolved and will cost us .At the moment our only realistic pairing are Hypia and Carragher/Henchoz . I'd like to see Henchoz given another go ,thats no disrespect to Carra who has done a decent job but I can't forget how when on form what a formidable pairing Hypia and Henchoz made.
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:46 am

Its been our problem area for two years now. The lack of pace was why we defended on the dge of our box under GH and its why Henchoz and Hypia wont play alongside one another again. At least we have managed to push the team further up the pitch something GH never had the nuts to do. Until we address this lack of pace we are going to regulary concede goals but hopefully it should allow us to be more adventurous in the opponenets half.
I know Jamie isnt the quickest but he is no slouch either, he is playing superbly at centre half at the mo after playing full back for 4 years and it cant be an easy transition. Hopefully he will continue to progress in that role coz if he does he is gonna be a revelation there, its like a new signing in fact coz Josemi has slotted into his place on the right sweetly.
I hear he wanted to play there so he is obviously confident enough and Rafa must also feel he can play there if he didnt im sure we would have seen someone brought in. However I must admit if you would have asked me a few seasons ago about Jamie as a centre half I would have worried about his concentration and decision making but as I said he looks like a new player this season. So in conclusion it has to be Jamie and big Sami with Henchoz as back up, his experience is valuable as is his brain he is prob our most streetwise defender but he cant turn and run anymore.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:49 am

no offense, mate, but this thread's made as if we had many alternatives :)
to me it's pretty obvious: JOSEMI, CARRAGHER, HYYPIA,
the only available alternative is whether it should be HENCHOZ or RIISE (with positioning modification) for the 4th defender
the rests are only "CHEER LEADERS"
(except for Hamann, since he's naturally not a defender)
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:50 am

and remember tha transfer window's just closed.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:54 am

I fear that Traore will be pitched frequently, but I surely hope that he doesn`t.. After all he was brought on after Sami`s nose knock, even when he just recovered from injury.. I would like to see Hyypia and Henchoz, but Stephane seems rather outranked by several ???
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:22 pm

Cara has performed so far. He will continue to improve imo. Traore has the pace but he got a lot to learn.
My vote to Cara and Hypia :;):
whylongball?

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion