Central midfield - Your preferred combination

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:46 am

If it was up to me I'd play Gerrard on the right of a front three with Suarez on the left and Carroll down the middle. I'd play a middle three of Lucas holding with Adam and Mereiles/Aquilani just infront. Anyone who thinks that Adam won't be starting more often than not is kidding themselves imo.

We all know this won't happen though. Gerrard will be used in the middle three when fit and Kuyt will more often than not play on the right of the front three if this is the case. The addition of Downing points more towards a 4-4-2 though even though I'm not a big fan of the formation as we don't still don't have a proper right winger.

The options are great though. The way things are, Spearing (who was one of our best players after Kenny came in) will struggle to get a look in. Just think back a couple of years and we were so short of options we had Aurelio playing as a defensive midfielder and getting rings run around him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:52 am

Roy Keane was right when he said that we bought players in the wrong department. The defense more or less picks itself with Carra and Johnson certain starters while Agger, Skrtel, Kelly and Flanagan battle it out for the remaining 2 spots. My ideal selection would be as follows:

-------------------------Reina
Kelly/Flanagan---Carra---Agger/Skrtel---Johnson/Insua

Forget about Aurelio, he is injured too often and isn't reliable. Kyrgiakos is having his final season in our colors and we have Wisdom ready to take his place as 4th choice defender.

The midfield however, we have so many options and it's not funny. Firstly, Gerrard as club captain will start. Put it this way - a half fit Gerrard is still as good as most of the midfielders in England today. Despite his age and injuries, he has a lot left to contribute towards success. This means, that there are 5 more spots up for grabs that would be contested among Meireles, Aquilani, Adam, Lucas, Henderson, Kuyt, Downing, Suarez and Carroll.

That's 9 players already, without mentioning Poulsen, Spearing and Shelvey. IMO, Shelvey should be loaned out while Spearing and Poulsen can be sold.

I won't have Lucas in my starting 11. Instead, Adam and Meireles would play. Unlike Lucas, the duo are capable of starting a counter attack on more occasions with their passes for Downing, Suarez and Gerrard to manipulate.

So that's Gerrard, Adam and Meireles in midfield. I'm unsure of Gerrard's fitness but I always found him most effective on the right side of midfield. Not only does he score and create, but his presence there causes the opposing fullback to be more wary and hesitant to go forward. After investing so much money on Carroll, it would be silly not to play Downing. Suarez is a certain starter as he is THE man. As of now, my first team looks like this:

--------------Reina
Kelly---Carra---Agger---Johnson
------Meireles---Adam
Gerrard---Suarez---Downing
-------------Carroll

The need for another striker of better quality then Ngog is overrated on the condition our midfielders are capable of contributing to the goals instead of being reliant on 2 or 3 players as we have been in the past consecutive seasons. Plus Kuyt can also play there.

At this stage, what we have is more of quantity then quality. By buying a left back, Johnson can be shifted to the right to battle it out with Flanagan and Kelly can be shifted to the center of defense to replace Carragher in due time.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Greavesie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:51 pm

aCe' wrote:
neil wrote:reina
          johnson -  skert - aggs - enrique
                     Adam - Gerrard
           Henderson - Aquilani -  Downy
                      carrol - suarez

The more astute amongst us may have noted the team consists of 12 players, this may well be the way forward, if we could simply secreat the 12th guy onto the pitch at say...during an early throwin...we may well reap the rewards of this set up. If not, stevie g is injured anyway. Winning.

the only one winning is your psychiatrist mate !

:laugh:  :laugh:
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:17 pm

-------------Poulsen ------ Spearing --------J.Cole------------
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:47 pm

I think that aCe's post makes a lot of sense but I differ from him in the sense that I do not rate Aquilani.

So I would keep his teams but replace the Italian with Adam or Henderson.

In fact, my team for the season opener would be....

Reina

Johnson   Carra   Agger        Enrique

Kuyt        Lucas   Mereiles    Downing

Adam or Suarez

Carrol
ConnO'var

Postby desmdlow » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Against Sunderland i think this will most likely be our lineup.

Reina

Kelly      Carra    Agger      Aurelio

Kuyt      Spearing   Adam    Downing

Aquilani

Carroll

Should Lucas is fit enough, he starts in place of Spearing. Enrique may have cameo appearance.
With Johnson injured, Kelly should starts and Flanno backup for both him & Aurelio.
Mereiles seems to be injured.

Subs:
Doni, Krigiakos, Flanno, Enrique, Maxi, Henderson & Ngog
desmdlow

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion