Rafa, in the present climate.... - His job is impossible.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby THEBARON » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:18 am

I am still backing Rafa - how many of us really expected us to win the premiership this season ? I certainly expected a massive improvement compared to last season but didn't expect us to win it. Although we spent some dollars in the summer we were not the only 1's. The mancs spent heavily and even the likes of Man City and others have received financial backing. Plus we did recoup money from Bellamy , Gonnzalez , Cisse  and Paletta so our net spend wasn't actually £40m plus.
Having said that I'm backing Benitez I feel that he is far from perfect and some of his recent actions have weakened his position
* His obsession with rotation
* The infamous substitutions at Reading
* Sticking with Kuyt and ignoring Crouch
* The recent press conference ( I am concentrating on my team )
We must keep the faith with Rafa .... but will he learn from his mistakes ?
THEBARON

Postby Judge » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 am

THEBARON wrote:I am still backing Rafa - how many of us really expected us to win the premiership this season ? I certainly expected a massive improvement compared to last season but didn't expect us to win it. Although we spent some dollars in the summer we were not the only 1's. The mancs spent heavily and even the likes of Man City and others have received financial backing. Plus we did recoup money from Bellamy , Gonnzalez , Cisse  and Paletta so our net spend wasn't actually £40m plus.
Having said that I'm backing Benitez I feel that he is far from perfect and some of his recent actions have weakened his position
* His obsession with rotation
* The infamous substitutions at Reading
* Sticking with Kuyt and ignoring Crouch
* The recent press conference ( I am concentrating on my team )
We must keep the faith with Rafa .... but will he learn from his mistakes ?

there have been many mistakes this season, and i was wondering when you think he will learn from them ? ?
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:32 am

"we must keep faith with Rafa" ? why, if we are not progressing.

If I was a betting man I'd say we'll finish the season 20 points behind the winners, which is a million miles away.

Rafa is too stuborn to change his ways and just like Morientes couldn't adapt his game for the English league, Rafa is the same. He might do okay back in Spain (as MOrientes did) but he has never got to grips with the English game.

Some people stuck with GH until the end, and would still be saying keep faith with GH if he was still here. If the wrong man is in charge then he must go.

If we don't qualify for the CL, we are probably fu**ed with the new stadium, credit crunch etc
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby THEBARON » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:54 am

Fair comment - but would we really benefit from getting rid of Rafa now ?
I am not saying we stick with Benitez in the long term - but to the end of the season and then we take stock and make the decision there.
If at the end of the season we are 20 points away ( and possibly out of the top 4 ) then I will agree it is time to go. By then Rafa will have had 4 full seasons in charge and spent over £120 on players. If we are in this situation  then we can hardly say we have made progress since Houllier on the domestic stage.
If you sack him now - who do you bring in ?
THEBARON

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:36 pm

Okay agreed, Rafa has until the end of the season to turn things around in the league (not some cup run), if he doesn't we can jointly fire him :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:40 pm

I just wonder what Rafa is thinking at this moment in time. Does he actually think he can keep his job? If I knew I was getting the sack I'd come out publicly and ask the club to back me or sack me at least let me know where I stand and at least let me instill some authority over certain players who are probably just taking the pi$$.

Also you'd think with his job on the line he'd pick his best team for every game now and worry about the consequences of burn out later.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby DAV » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Give RB while the end of the season- If we win nothing and finish light years away from winning the league then maybe he should move on.
When all said and done sadley football is now a business more than a sport.
I say give the guy some slack for now - back him till the seasons end as nothing will be gainned from a hate campaign.
If nothin has changed and we aint improved by then i will be at the front of the get RB out campaign.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby nobybob » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Big Niall wrote:"we must keep faith with Rafa" ? why, if we are not progressing.

If I was a betting man I'd say we'll finish the season 20 points behind the winners, which is a million miles away.

Rafa is too stuborn to change his ways and just like Morientes couldn't adapt his game for the English league, Rafa is the same. He might do okay back in Spain (as MOrientes did) but he has never got to grips with the English game.

Some people stuck with GH until the end, and would still be saying keep faith with GH if he was still here. If the wrong man is in charge then he must go.

If we don't qualify for the CL, we are probably fu**ed with the new stadium, credit crunch etc

what kind of a fool are you ?? Don't you realise hicks and co took away RAFAS powers of management not allowing him to buy players or even get them on a bosman, or even sell players to get funds for transfers. This was not a matter of g&h not having the cash , but about denying Rafa any power to rectify any probs with the team . I am amazed that RAFA  stayed through that situation many others would have left, but then again he loves this club these people and this city unlike you >> are you some kind of manc in disguise?? 
considering the restraints placed upon RAFA he has achieved amazing results i hope and pray he stays.
nobybob

Postby nobybob » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:55 pm

bigmick wrote:I would say if I was guessing, that on this forum anyway (and I'm sure it wouldn't be representative of the match going crowd as the vast majority on here don't go) that there is around a 50/50 split of those who think Rafa is doing good stuff for the long-term and should stay, and those who think it's time for a change at the end of the season. Just to cloud the waters even further, some of us think he is doing good stuff for the long term but still think it might be right at the end of the season to consider a change.

That said, I reckon if you asked just about any sensible observer to look at our current situation, our manager is being put in a position on a week to week basis which is absolutely impossible to work in.

Lets look at it. We were expected to go a lot closer in the league than we have, and we are out of the title race. For whatever reason, the players and the team have performed below expectations. What would the manager normally do?

1. He'd go out and buy some players in January. It's pretty much as obvious as the nose on your face that we need a striker. Annelka has gone to Chelsea, Berbatov is likely going to go to man Utd, and we aren't in for anybody. This nonsesne about Rafa saying we are happy with the players we've got, or "we've got enough players" is sheer diplomacy on his part IMHO. I don't believe the owners are backing him in the transfer market. It might be because they don't rate him, or it might be because they're skint, but whatever, they aren't backing him as of right now. I know we've bought a centre-half but that will probably be as a result of a long term committment IMHO.

2. He'd turn around and say, "these players are playing for a place in the squad next season. If things don't improve, heads will roll". Why doesn't he do that? well obviously because the players will no doubt think if anyone's head is going to roll, it won't be theirs it'll be the managers. How can he possibly be expected to motivate players if they're of the opinion that they are just marking time until the new bloke comes in?

3. He'd drop half the first team and bring some of the reserve players in. Once again not really an option as he would be accused (by me no doubt) of over-rotation, and I am convinced it is this issue which has galvanised the owners disrespect for him.

So the manager is in a corner, backed in with nowhere to go it seems to me. He has seemingly no kitty to bolster the squad. He is undermined at every turn in the press with story after story about Capello, Klinnsman etc going undenied by anyone at the club. The players, now that any hopes of the title have gone appear to have given up the ghost and lost belief, while his motivational powers are significantly diminished by the uncertainty surrounding his position. He essentially has to get players who were all fired up for a title challenge, to get all fired up for a fourth place challenge which isn't easy.

I have criticised him many times, but think the club ought really to clear up some issues outstanding. At the very least he deserves backing for the remainder of the season, but he certainly doesn't deserve the way it's been handled at the moment.

well said you have a knack of putting my thoughts into words
nobybob

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:25 am

nobybob wrote:
Big Niall wrote:"we must keep faith with Rafa" ? why, if we are not progressing.

what kind of a fool are you ?? Don't you realise hicks and co took away RAFAS powers of management not allowing him to buy players or even get them on a bosman, or even sell players to get funds for transfers. This was not a matter of g&h not having the cash , but about denying Rafa any power to rectify any probs with the team . I am amazed that RAFA  stayed through that situation many others would have left, but then again he loves this club these people and this city unlike you >> are you some kind of manc in disguise?? 
considering the restraints placed upon RAFA he has achieved amazing results i hope and pray he stays.

Not sure how to answer the "what type of fool are you" question :D

I just don't see these amazing results you talk about. Level with Everton, Man City, Aston Villa with the league into its second half. Title gone already - again.

Why is that great?

No personal insults from me as you can have your view, but I just don't see these great results.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion