4-5-1 - It's not impossible to play against.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:57 pm

That's twice in a week now that a team has flummoxed us with a 4-5-1 line up. Given our determination to play two up top, and that's understandable given the fact we have Morientes and Baros, what do we do.
Well, I would've thought that Garcia must play in behind the front two (I know he's playing sh!te but that is his spot for me)Riise must play left-mid with Gerrard and Hamann in the centre, Finnan if fit or Josemi/Raven/Nunez must play right mid, with Carra, Hyppia and Traore (thats not a misprint) forming the back three. You need your fullbacks to work up and down so you end up with 3-4-1-2 when you've got it, 5-2-1-2 when they have. You don't ask Garcia to track back too much, leave him in no mans land to give you an out ball from the back.
What you don't do it seems to me is play a rigid 4-4-2 unless you've got marathon running midfielders which we clearly haven't. we don't just want to mirror 4-5-1 because that means we have to compromise Morientes and Baros. Sorry if it's all a bit technical on this day of mourning but thats how I see it.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:01 pm

Its is true that teams playing 5-4-1 are destroying us they must be takin a leaf out of Moyes's books, thats why no one can break them down.
Everton have played this way all season and succeeded in one nil wins or draws, but its very boring to watch, and the team doesnt score many goals.
Baros needs someone upfront with him, but our supply to Baros and Morientes today over the head when clearly these 2 players prefer the ball at there feet.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:02 pm

As a coach, I've always opted to play against a 4-5-1, bu playing a 4-5-1. If you clog up the midfield as they are, you will be making their midfield accountable for their possesion. The same way the defenders mark the opposing forwards, the midfielders must act the same way.
If a 4-4-2 is played against a 4-5-1, then the best option is to play the long ball over the top to your forwards, giving the opposistion midfield no chance of winning the ball and controlling the tempo.
Rafa opted to make Dudek play from the back, by giving everyball short to his defenders, and it didn't pay off. The long ball was not used as much as it should have been against a clogged up midfield.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:10 pm

Its not the formation that is the problem. Its playing players in positions where they can contribute.

I think rafa is just playing garcia at right wing to accomodate him in the 1st 11. And riise for all his hardwork is not a left winger. He can't take on defender.

And with the winger taken out, Gerrard should have been driving force, but where the f#ck was he ? I mean if he was injured, don't play him. At least play someone who will give 100%. Just look at saints. They have lesser quality players who gave 100% and beat us....... And they had a few key players missing too.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:21 pm

The_Rock wrote:Its not the formation that is the problem. Its playing players in positions where they can contribute.

I think rafa is just playing garcia at right wing to accomodate him in the 1st 11. And riise for all his hardwork is not a left winger. He can't take on defender.

And with the winger taken out, Gerrard should have been driving force, but where the f#ck was he ? I mean if he was injured, don't play him. At least play someone who will give 100%. Just look at saints. They have lesser quality players who gave 100% and beat us....... And they had a few key players missing too.

No one is willing to play 100% at the moment, and that is Rafa's main problem. Except for Baros and Carra, there is no one else in it.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:42 pm

bigmick wrote:That's twice in a week now that a team has flummoxed us with a 4-5-1 line up. Given our determination to play two up top, and that's understandable given the fact we have Morientes and Baros, what do we do.
Well, I would've thought that Garcia must play in behind the front two (I know he's playing sh!te but that is his spot for me)Riise must play left-mid with Gerrard and Hamann in the centre, Finnan if fit or Josemi/Raven/Nunez must play right mid, with Carra, Hyppia and Traore (thats not a misprint) forming the back three. You need your fullbacks to work up and down so you end up with 3-4-1-2 when you've got it, 5-2-1-2 when they have. You don't ask Garcia to track back too much, leave him in no mans land to give you an out ball from the back.
What you don't do it seems to me is play a rigid 4-4-2 unless you've got marathon running midfielders which we clearly haven't. we don't just want to mirror 4-5-1 because that means we have to compromise Morientes and Baros. Sorry if it's all a bit technical on this day of mourning but thats how I see it.

Can't see that Big Mick.

Agreed that United and now Southampton have won the midfield battle with their 5 Vs our 4. Agree that Benitez has been somewhat pushed into the 4-4-2 with the arrival of Morientes. We had a few games at the end of last year where we played well and won our matches playing 4-4-2 but playing 3-4-1-2 dropping back to 5-2-1-2 is just far too attacking for me.

Our defence has looked vulnerable all season, never more so than today and for that reason I think we need 4 players whose primary aim in life is to defend. Reducing that to 3 can only lead to more goals conceeded.

I think maybe it's time to try 4-5-1 again with Garcia behind either Baros/Morientes, Riise, Didi, Stevie, Nunez in the middle although I accept that were not exactly overloaded with quality in midfield at present.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:55 pm

4-4-2 is the best formation.

Its also able to adapt. IE one full back pushing into midfield turning it into a 3-5-2 to solve the problem of being outnumbered, or even dropping a striker into midfield.

The problems bad tactics and mis management aswell as underperforming players, not the formation.
115-1073096938

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion