Should nando track back so often?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Tiiger » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:59 pm

One thing I don't understand about yesterday's game is the frequently tracking back of Nando. We saw him helping the middlefielders so much that he's always absent when there's a cross. Although most of the crosses were poor, I'd rather to see him staying at the front because he is slow, physically weak, and ironically our only striker. Many times we saw Zenden and Cisse trying to head through the ball to him, which should have been his job! A.B. said this is common in EPL, but Nando is by no means suitable for this sort of tactic. How do you guys think?
Those who forget the past have no future.
Tiiger

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:07 pm

I think Nando is trying to add a bit of hard work to his game,something he has lacked a bit!! Theres times when tracking back and helping the mid-field is necessary and other times he should stay up top!!The key thing is i think Nando is  an intelligent enough footballer to know when either is right so i think we should let him be!!Hopefully he'll hit the net on Tuesday or Friday,even on  both would be better.All he's missing from his game is a bit of confidence and then i think we'll see the best of him!!
66-1120597113

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:08 pm

more importantley, why th feck is cisse wide?
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Houllier=LFC » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:16 pm

Did anyone actually see Morientes on the field in the 2nd half?
Houllier=LFC

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:56 pm

I would like to see Morrientes track back a lot more than he does now.
In fact, I would like to see him track all the way back to Spain!
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:59 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:I would like to see Morrientes track back a lot more than he does now.
In fact, I would like to see him track all the way back to Spain!

Harsh statement but may well come true depending what rafa's mood is like in january :lookaround
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gary106 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:03 pm

i was at the game yesterday and nando cant stay on his feet, every tackle he was falling over and he couldnt hold the ball up at all.

it seemed like we were playing with 5 in midfield with cisse wide so that just left nando upfront on his own and when he tracked back there was no oulet at all for whichever midfielder won the ball back. very very fustrating. even carra agreed by shouting at everyone "fu9king do something then!"
gary106

Postby Tiiger » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:24 pm

gary106 wrote:i was at the game yesterday and nando cant stay on his feet, every tackle he was falling over and he couldnt hold the ball up at all.

it seemed like we were playing with 5 in midfield with cisse wide so that just left nando upfront on his own and when he tracked back there was no oulet at all for whichever midfielder won the ball back. very very fustrating. even carra agreed by shouting at everyone "fu9king do something then!"

We don't need him to tackle, pass, dribble or whatever----we just need his heading, finishing or flick the ball to others.
Those who forget the past have no future.
Tiiger

Postby Garymac » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:53 pm

CISSE WAS DOING US A FU*KIN FAVOUR, so going on about this cisse-right wing bullsh!t, Rafa said Cisse filled in there because we havent got an out and out right winger and someone needs to cover, and then went on to explain we will see the best of cisse when hes upfront hence the reason why we need a right winger so badly, so asking why he played there when its so obvious. Cise didnt have good game by any means but the sooner we get a right winger, the sooner he plays upfront and the sooner you can judge him properly. People came on here kickin off that Garcia doesnt do enough on the wing last week so Rafa changes it and people still complain. And nando needs to up his game big time, the lads had 8 months here so he knows what its all about now.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:25 pm

originally posted yesterday:

how many games go by and again we ask..is morientes going to make it?

my question is. without doubting his unquestionable TALENT.

are we USING that talent in the right system?

does nando HAVE to be running all over the pitch in order to JUSTIFY himself, for whatever reason, god knows. does he have to chase an opponent way back into his own half, and then be out of position when the ball is fired back up to our strikers?
one incident springs to mind today of that same example..and el moro was roundly applauded upon retrieving the ball. great, well done.....

but what then.........it broke down because there was no one to hold it up.. :(

im not slating the guy either, i STILL rate fernando morientes.
but i dont think we are UTILISING his strengths AT all.    :(
Last edited by red37 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Alonso14 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:29 pm

Maybe his traking back is a good thing, but when playing 5 in the mid is that necassory?!?

Fair enough and great when he is required to drop deep when you got the lighting pace of cisse who can stay up all the time but not when your the only striker.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser mike » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:47 pm

Good job he tracked back because he done f....all else
scouser mike

Postby scouser mike » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:48 pm

last year the excuse was he never had a full pre season well thats one excuse they can't use.
scouser mike

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion