Favourite non football sporting moment

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:41 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
Mikz wrote:go for it Nanny  :;):

Theyll only lock it so whats the point

No they won't, IMHO Nanny. A boxing thread is a different topic, and an interesting one. I like boxing a bit, and wouldn't be able to post much about it, but I'd happily read a thread you lot open about boxing!

Please do so!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:11 am

Well, I promise not to lock it.  I might just monkey with the title a lot or something! :p :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:37 am

Sabre wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
Mikz wrote:go for it Nanny  :;):

Theyll only lock it so whats the point

No they won't, IMHO Nanny. A boxing thread is a different topic, and an interesting one. I like boxing a bit, and wouldn't be able to post much about it, but I'd happily read a thread you lot open about boxing!

Please do so!

Why on earth should a fresh Boxing thread be locked? 

Unless it turned daft in the end....there's no reason at all to make a statement like that.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:31 am

Sabre wrote:* When Spain was world champion of handball in 2005, a sport that I think it's very unknown in England but that I practised for years and I love.

what the hell is handball?
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:26 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
Sabre wrote:* When Spain was world champion of handball in 2005, a sport that I think it's very unknown in England but that I practised for years and I love.

what the hell is handball?

I actually think you'd like Handball Joe Terp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWjiOGuDQr8

European sport, quite popular except in England and Ireland. Strong countries are the European ones (Germany, Serbia, Croatia, Spain, Sweden, France), although it's played around the world, especially in not english speaking countries.

7 against seven, players cannot step on the yellow area of 6 m. Tactics are very important. Handball players are usually taller than footballers, but less than basketball players.

Good sport.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:06 am

seems very strange like soccer meets dogeball or something, and for some reason it reminded me of lacrosse (the biggest sport where I come from, Maryland) don't think it could ever gain popularity here. Got me thinking, do you think if this guy grew up in Spain as a footballer that he would be world class  One of the greatest change of direction runners and killer instinct attacking mentality and work rate that I have ever seen from any athlete.  Both of his brothers went to the same university and each broke the scoring record (previously held by the games greatest player, Canadian Gary Gait)
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:14 pm

JoeTerp wrote:seems very strange like soccer meets dogeball or something, and for some reason it reminded me of lacrosse (the biggest sport where I come from, Maryland) don't think it could ever gain popularity here. Got me thinking, do you think if this guy grew up in Spain as a footballer that he would be world class  One of the greatest change of direction runners and killer instinct attacking mentality and work rate that I have ever seen from any athlete.  Both of his brothers went to the same university and each broke the scoring record (previously held by the games greatest player, Canadian Gary Gait)

No, I don't think he'd be a world class player, might not even reach segunda division. I say this because I've seen very very skillfull players not reaching top levels, and you never know how would be the guy with the feet if he was born here.

He has an interesting waist and change of rythm, but football pitch is a big one, and there are things required besides waist and skill.

My point is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGRLRRrN36s

Look Indoor soccer. 5 a side. Very popular around here. If you select Gerrard, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Romario, they'd lose 14-3 against a indoor soccer top team, and that considering that the brazilians DO know and have practised that specific variant of football.

Look at the skills of those indoor footballers, nice controls, nice skill, but they'd be lost in a traditional football pitch.

Interesting sport that one, btw :)
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:02 pm

Feck me that indoor soccer is something else eh? One of those blokes on the clip actually reminded me of myself in my much younger days. Not one of the twinkle toed fellas doing the skills obviously, the one who watched him do it all and then kicked him six foot up in the air :D Jeez what else would you do, I'd watch that fecking about once and think "next time he gets it he's got to go". Sorry but sometimes there's no other option.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Sabre wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:seems very strange like soccer meets dogeball or something, and for some reason it reminded me of lacrosse (the biggest sport where I come from, Maryland) don't think it could ever gain popularity here. Got me thinking, do you think if this guy grew up in Spain as a footballer that he would be world class  One of the greatest change of direction runners and killer instinct attacking mentality and work rate that I have ever seen from any athlete.  Both of his brothers went to the same university and each broke the scoring record (previously held by the games greatest player, Canadian Gary Gait)

No, I don't think he'd be a world class player, might not even reach segunda division. I say this because I've seen very very skillfull players not reaching top levels, and you never know how would be the guy with the feet if he was born here.

He has an interesting waist and change of rythm, but football pitch is a big one, and there are things required besides waist and skill.

My point is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGRLRRrN36s

Look Indoor soccer. 5 a side. Very popular around here. If you select Gerrard, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Romario, they'd lose 14-3 against a indoor soccer top team, and that considering that the brazilians DO know and have practised that specific variant of football.

Look at the skills of those indoor footballers, nice controls, nice skill, but they'd be lost in a traditional football pitch.

Interesting sport that one, btw :)

yes but those indoor guys have trained to play indoor, thats why their skill set is geared toward that style.  I am sure that if Ronaldhino had committed his life towards the indoor game, he would be a star of that world instead.

I'm not sure if the same can be said for Stevie because he just seems like such a natural born outdoor footballer and all those little tricks don't seem to be a part of his game.

But Mikey Powell is one of the most versatile athletes I have ever seeen.  He understood the offense of the game better than anyone, which is a very important skill to have in sports and I think in general that is something that is part of your brain, but applied to whatever game you become to master.  So while I would admit, if he were to all of a sudden pick up the game he would not do that great despite being a stellar athlete, I feel that if he had grown up studying football, he would have the same understanding of football that he does with lacrosse. 

Another bred in the bone quality that mikey posses is an absolute killer instinct, which can be the difference between an average striker and a good one or a good striker and a great one.

Mikey was also one of the games Best Trick men  and possed more technical ability than anyone else to ever play the game (except 1).  And I know thats going to be a much harder comparison because techinical ability in football is done with the feet and in lacrosse it is with the wrists and a stick

I think this is why I originally thought of the games relation to handball  Cant really see in the video but there is a crease around the goal in all directions that you cannot step in as an offensive player.
JoeTerp

Postby dawson99 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:44 pm

one for you twerpy but Jeff Gordon winning the busch series in nascar 2001 was class. was at a time i was dating an american and she really got me into nascar, it is better than formula one.

for ice hockey im still waiting for the bruins to lift the stanley cup again
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:21 pm

I have tried to get into NASCAR, but just cant.  It was a great finish at Daytona this year and that was exciting.  I went to a race in May, and that was just a freaking circus.  Maybe if I knew more about fixing cars and stuff I would apreciate it more.  It gets terrible treatment in mainstream sports media (ESPN) because they just try and play up the "soap opera" aspect and relationship between the drivers like it is WWE or something.  Then they have like one really specific show for hardcore fans that is too in depth for me to follow.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:34 pm

And this would be the greatest sports moment that I attended in person

It was a game that my school had no business being close in, and the win all but garunteed us a spot in the NCAA tournament (equivalent of Pompey qualifying for Champions League by beating United on the 2nd to last day of the season)  I did not rush the court because all my mates and I decided to stand together at the top of "The Wall" ( very similar to kop in that it is single terraced and loudest section)
JoeTerp

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum