Favourite non football sporting moment

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:36 am

Greatest I have seen
Leigh winning the 1971 rugby league challenge cup final at Wembley 1971 ( Liverpool lost to Arsenal same year) Leigh rugby was given no chance against a great Leeds team. We beat them 24 - 7 in one of the biggest upsets in rugby league history.

Greatest ever
Mohammed Ali beating George Foreman to win the heavyweight title again.

Best fight ever
Hearns v Hagler
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:00 am

Yeah I think I'd go with Saint on the boxing, rope a dope and all that was an incredible huuman achievement. Red Rum winning the National for the third time still brings a tear to my eye now whenever I see it replayed, England winning the Ashes back in 2005, the dual between Jack Niclaus and Tom Watson at Turnbury (I think) in the Open, and the last of Borg's five Wimbledon titles where he had THAT tiebreak against McEnroe. All sporting momnets which provided unbelieveable theatre.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:13 am

bigmick wrote:Yeah I think I'd go with Saint on the boxing, rope a dope and all that was an incredible huuman achievement. Red Rum winning the National for the third time still brings a tear to my eye now whenever I see it replayed, England winning the Ashes back in 2005, the dual between Jack Niclaus and Tom Watson at Turnbury (I think) in the Open, and the last of Borg's five Wimbledon titles where he had THAT tiebreak against McEnroe. All sporting momnets which provided unbelieveable theatre.

Agreed on the Jack Nichlas one Mick, Remember it well 1977 British Open Turnbury, classed as the duel in the sun. Most brilliant 2 rounds of golf ive ever seen both shot a 65 and then Nichlaus shot a 66 with Watson getting round in 65 what a match
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:15 pm

I have a few

1995: Frank Bruno beats Oliver McCall, WBC Heavyweight Title.

2005 England win the ashes

2003 England win the Rugby World Cup

1992 Linford Christie olympic gold
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:54 pm

God, I've got loads.

Any rugby league match before the Sky era when Warrington beat Wigan - they were always absolutely awesome occasions. In particular, there was a 7 day period around 1990 when we beat Wigan in the league, and then beat Widnes in a televised Challenge Cup semi-final.

Also, seeing Des Drummond knock Martin Offiah out with one punch in a Wires v Widnes game. All because Offiah was celebrating one of his team-mates scoring. :D

The 1991 athletics world championships were something really quite special. Colin Jackson breaking the 110m hurdles world record, Carl Lewis v Mike Powell in the best long jump competition anyone will ever see, Liz McColgan in the 10,000m.

Jonathan Edwards throughout the 1995 season was awesome, with one absolutely enormous jump early on in the season, unfortunately wind assisted, but then at the world championships he broke the world record twice in two jumps.

1992 Olympics and the 1993 Worlds - Linford Christie in the 100m and Sally Gunnell in the 400MH

Jimmy White's 147 against Tony Drago. Even Drago was smiling about it. So sad that the guy never won the world championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEZtc0QKa0

Also, Ronnie O'Sullivan's 5 minute 147 in 1997...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPWtpODY0uw

Faldo snatching the US Masters as Greg Norman fell to bits. Six shots ahead going into the final round, and eventually lost by five. Absolutely unbelievable turnaround.

Bruno/McCall was a great occasion - jesus christ I was hammered that night. :D

For boxing moments though, it has to be Ali/Foreman. I absolutely treasure my copy of When We Were Kings.

Any of you remember BBC's Ali Night? There was a fantastic documentary in there called One Punch Too Many, which documented the guy's latter boxing years. There's footage of his last fight against Trevor Berbick in 1981 which is just unbearably sad. Just a shell of a man, so slow responding to punches that it's criminal the fight was allowed to go ahead. How he got through 10 rounds without being killed I have no idea.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:10 pm

Going off topic a bit, I just found the documentary on YouTube.

Here's parts three and four, containing the footage I mentioned in my last post. It's actually the footage from his loss to Larry Holmes that gets to me the most. Just horrible to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljoO5J3XVvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqDi4fHDQ4E
ivor_the_injun

Postby lakes10 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:52 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Faldo snatching the US Masters as Greg Norman fell to bits. Six shots ahead going into the final round, and eventually lost by five. Absolutely unbelievable turnaround.

god how could i forget that one, great
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:59 pm

I remember watching Ali fight Ken Norton i was only a kid but i remember it because Ali got his jaw broken

Big fight fans in my house
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:19 am

NANNY RED wrote:But so far my favourite non football moment was when Nigel Benn beat Gerald McClellen what a fight :bowdown .

McClellan was the best pound for pound fighter around at the time and no one thought Benn had a chance. The London Arena that night was heaving and when Benn went down in the first we thought :censored: hell end of . But it was just sheer strength and guts and a knockout punch  one of the best ive ever seen. it was hairs on the back of your neck stand up time .

The fight was brilliant although we did not realise the sad outcome until the morning when we found out McClellan was in a coma .

SNAP! Greatest fight i've ever seen by far although i feel guilty saying it because of the tragic way the fight ended   :(

Unbelievable guts and determination from Benn to recover from the punch in the first round and then again in the 9th (i think). I watched it back on You Tube (the whole fight is on there) a little while back. I love my boxing and Benn is one of my biggest sporting  heroes. He never gave up, he kept coming and he NEVER took a step backwards. I wish a few more footballers had his mentality.

Can't believe you went to that fight ya bast..ard!!!
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:01 am

christy o'connor jr on the 18th at the ryder cup at the belfry in 1989, he beat fred couples to win us the ryder cup. his 2 iron approach to the 18th was magical.

also darren clarke at last years ryder cup, breaking down in tears on the 16th after beating zak johnson in his singles game on the last day. his wife had died of cancer 5 weeks before cup started, very touching moment, especially whern tiger hugged him (tiger had also recently lost his dad to cancer)
112-1077774096

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:34 am

Scottbot wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:But so far my favourite non football moment was when Nigel Benn beat Gerald McClellen what a fight :bowdown .

McClellan was the best pound for pound fighter around at the time and no one thought Benn had a chance. The London Arena that night was heaving and when Benn went down in the first we thought :censored: hell end of . But it was just sheer strength and guts and a knockout punch  one of the best ive ever seen. it was hairs on the back of your neck stand up time .

The fight was brilliant although we did not realise the sad outcome until the morning when we found out McClellan was in a coma .

SNAP! Greatest fight i've ever seen by far although i feel guilty saying it because of the tragic way the fight ended   :(

Unbelievable guts and determination from Benn to recover from the punch in the first round and then again in the 9th (i think). I watched it back on You Tube (the whole fight is on there) a little while back. I love my boxing and Benn is one of my biggest sporting  heroes. He never gave up, he kept coming and he NEVER took a step backwards. I wish a few more footballers had his mentality.

Good job you didnt watch the Steve Collins fight then .  :;):
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:49 pm

Mikz wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Good job you didnt watch the Steve Collins fight then .  :;):

Good shout , loved Steve Collins i went to both them fights and was made up when Collins won. But i wouldnt say it had the same hype that the McClellan fight had.

Saying that Benn was an outstanding fighter but i just couldnt warm to him Collins on the other hand was also a good fighter and a hard man with the heart of a lion.

My personal favorite at that time though was Michael Watson absolute sheer class i went to both the Watson Eubank fights. the first one Watson should have won the second one some people actualy say it was the best fight they have seen by two English boxers. YES i would agree with them i for one was roaring on Watson and Eubank was down and out  but then came the 12th and everyone knows what happened after that.

I was  wondering which one of our middleweights do you think would have given Hearns or Hagler a good fight if they would have all been in there prime

Benn
Eubank
Collins
Watson.
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:21 pm

NANNY RED wrote:I was  wondering which one of our middleweights do you think would have given Hearns or Hagler a good fight if they would have all been in there prime

Benn
Eubank
Collins
Watson.

It's a good question and i'd love to see the fights. I believe they all would have held their own. Benn Vs Hagler - now that's a fight i would have loved to have seen.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Scottbot wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:I was  wondering which one of our middleweights do you think would have given Hearns or Hagler a good fight if they would have all been in there prime

Benn
Eubank
Collins
Watson.

It's a good question and i'd love to see the fights. I believe they all would have held their own. Benn Vs Hagler - now that's a fight i would have loved to have seen.

Personally i would have loved to have seen Collins fight Hearn heart of a lion you know it would go the distance because the man just wouldnt give up ( barring a knockout from the hitman) who i think would have won but what a fight
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:57 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
dawson99 wrote:But so far my favourite non football moment was when Nigel Benn beat Gerald McClellen what a fight :bowdown .

Yep I was talking to my mates the other night about Hatten and I said that the Benn v McLellen fight was definitely the most exciting fight I'd ever seen.
PhiLFC

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum