Favourite non football sporting moment

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:My favourite sporting moment is tinged in tragedy. It's when Nigel Benn beat Gerald McClelland. It is still my favourite fight of all time and probably the most violent fight on these shores at that class. McClelland had so much more class, accuracy and power over Benn, but it was Benn that had more heart. He never stopped coming forward.
Sorry to p!ss on any Irish bonfires, but I'm sick of people putting Steve Collins in the same bracket of Benn, Eubank and Watson. He was nowhere near as good as them. He was just a brawler. He beat Benn and Eubank in the twilight of their careers and never proved himself against any other greats. When a certain young boxer called Calzaghe became mandatory challenger, Collins quit, he retired.

I said Calzaghe would have beaten Collins.

I put Benn higher too as he went to the states and beat Iran Barkley and De Witt and then in UK beat Mclelland.

He was a shot fighter when collins beat him.

I don't rate Eubank highly though - beat a bunch of nobody's for wbo title - lost loads of times but was given decision.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:01 pm

Eubank? He did stop Benn when both were in their prime.
As did Michael Watson.

Everyone involved in the boxing game KNEW steve collins would have sorted out Benn and Eubank -as he did.  Collins never ducked anyone, begged the great Roy Jones junior for a duel and it never happened. If ya think he quit for fear of smokin joe calzaghe yer extremely confused

:nod
Last edited by Mikz on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:04 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:My favourite sporting moment is tinged in tragedy. It's when Nigel Benn beat Gerald McClelland. It is still my favourite fight of all time and probably the most violent fight on these shores at that class. McClelland had so much more class, accuracy and power over Benn, but it was Benn that had more heart. He never stopped coming forward.
Sorry to p!ss on any Irish bonfires, but I'm sick of people putting Steve Collins in the same bracket of Benn, Eubank and Watson. He was nowhere near as good as them. He was just a brawler. He beat Benn and Eubank in the twilight of their careers and never proved himself against any other greats. When a certain young boxer called Calzaghe became mandatory challenger, Collins quit, he retired.

Just thought Id let ya know- steve collins and nigel Benn are the same age-so if Benn was in the twilight of his career-Collins was too...eubank was younger - if u honestly think collins wasnt in there class , after close fights with the likes of Mike Mccallum -youre boxing knowledge is very limited
Last edited by Mikz on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:11 pm

Judge wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
Mikz wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:But so far my favourite non football moment was when Nigel Benn beat Gerald McClellen what a fight :bowdown .

McClellan was the best pound for pound fighter around at the time and no one thought Benn had a chance. The London Arena that night was heaving and when Benn went down in the first we thought :censored: hell end of . But it was just sheer strength and guts and a knockout punch  one of the best ive ever seen. it was hairs on the back of your neck stand up time .

The fight was brilliant although we did not realise the sad outcome until the morning when we found out McClellan was in a coma .

SNAP! Greatest fight i've ever seen by far although i feel guilty saying it because of the tragic way the fight ended   :(

Unbelievable guts and determination from Benn to recover from the punch in the first round and then again in the 9th (i think). I watched it back on You Tube (the whole fight is on there) a little while back. I love my boxing and Benn is one of my biggest sporting  heroes. He never gave up, he kept coming and he NEVER took a step backwards. I wish a few more footballers had his mentality.

Can't believe you went to that fight ya bast..ard!!!

Good job you didnt watch the Steve Collins fight then .  :;):

Good shout , loved Steve Collins i went to both them fights and was made up when Collins won. But i wouldnt say it had the same hype that the McClellan fight had.

Saying that Benn was an outstanding fighter but i just couldnt warm to him Collins on the other hand was also a good fighter and a hard man with the heart of a lion.

My personal favorite at that time though was Michael Watson absolute sheer class i went to both the Watson Eubank fights. the first one Watson should have won the second one some people actualy say it was the best fight they have seen by two English boxers. YES i would agree with them i for one was roaring on Watson and Eubank was down and out  but then came the 12th and everyone knows what happened after that.

I was  wondering which one of our middleweights do you think would have given Hearns or Hagler a good fight if they would have all been in there prime

Benn
Eubank
Collins
Watson.

i would love to see collins and calzaghe fight, although they are ages apart, wouldve been great if they were similar age.

i wouldve bet on collins to beat calzaghe hands down

there's no one in the division worth fighting, thats why calzaghe wins so many times. although you can only beat whats in front of you - not his fault though

FAO big niall
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:13 pm

hello_red wrote:British mens 400m relay team winning gold in the Olympics and 2005 Ashes win.

Oh and winning the rugby world cup in 2003 and then reaching the final in the next tornament. What an achievement!

You've just reminded me - the 4x400m relay at the 1991 World Championships.

Hurdler Kriss Akabusi beating 400m champion Antonio Pettigrew on the final leg. Absolutely unbelievable performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrciHEXSZ3o
ivor_the_injun

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Judge wrote:
Judge wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
Mikz wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:But so far my favourite non football moment was when Nigel Benn beat Gerald McClellen what a fight :bowdown .

McClellan was the best pound for pound fighter around at the time and no one thought Benn had a chance. The London Arena that night was heaving and when Benn went down in the first we thought :censored: hell end of . But it was just sheer strength and guts and a knockout punch  one of the best ive ever seen. it was hairs on the back of your neck stand up time .

The fight was brilliant although we did not realise the sad outcome until the morning when we found out McClellan was in a coma .

SNAP! Greatest fight i've ever seen by far although i feel guilty saying it because of the tragic way the fight ended   :(

Unbelievable guts and determination from Benn to recover from the punch in the first round and then again in the 9th (i think). I watched it back on You Tube (the whole fight is on there) a little while back. I love my boxing and Benn is one of my biggest sporting  heroes. He never gave up, he kept coming and he NEVER took a step backwards. I wish a few more footballers had his mentality.

Can't believe you went to that fight ya bast..ard!!!

Good job you didnt watch the Steve Collins fight then .  :;):

Good shout , loved Steve Collins i went to both them fights and was made up when Collins won. But i wouldnt say it had the same hype that the McClellan fight had.

Saying that Benn was an outstanding fighter but i just couldnt warm to him Collins on the other hand was also a good fighter and a hard man with the heart of a lion.

My personal favorite at that time though was Michael Watson absolute sheer class i went to both the Watson Eubank fights. the first one Watson should have won the second one some people actualy say it was the best fight they have seen by two English boxers. YES i would agree with them i for one was roaring on Watson and Eubank was down and out  but then came the 12th and everyone knows what happened after that.

I was  wondering which one of our middleweights do you think would have given Hearns or Hagler a good fight if they would have all been in there prime

Benn
Eubank
Collins
Watson.

i would love to see collins and calzaghe fight, although they are ages apart, wouldve been great if they were similar age.

i wouldve bet on collins to beat calzaghe hands down

there's no one in the division worth fighting, thats why calzaghe wins so many times. although you can only beat whats in front of you - not his fault though

FAO big niall

Id love Calzaghe to fight Bernard Hopkins thats one fight id defo go and see no matter where .Just to see Calzaghe actually fight some one with a big reputation.

I cant seem to take to Calzaghe. OK I know he is an outstanding fighter but i dunno theres something about him.

For me at the moment Ricky Hatton has got to be the most exiting boxer around. But thats my opinion everybody has a different on
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:58 pm

The greatest game I have ever watched was the 2007 Fiesta Bowl between Bosie State and Oklahoma.  Equivalent of a League One side beating Manchester United in a game that they lead 1-0, gave up a goal in the 80th minute, then had an atrocious own goal in the 89th then tie in the last minute of added time on the most wonderous of wonder goals, and then winning on a set piece in the 120th. 

The game is available on itunes, ($7 US not sure if its 3.50 quid or not) I was going to post a youtube video of the highlights, but it wouldn't do it justice, because the context is what makes it so special, kind of like the "miracle on ice" when the US beat Russia in the olympics and won the cold war :D  If you think american football is a joke of a sport I dare you to watch the game and tell me you weren't entertained.

The happiest I have ever been in after a sporting event was when my university won the basketball naitonal championship defeating our archrival in the semifinals the year after they beat us in the semifinals
JoeTerp

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:40 pm

Mines would probably be Ireland beating England in the Six Nations at Twickenham with a try in the last minute a few years back. Was a wonderful moment in Irish rugby.
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby NiftyNeil » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:48 am

Mikz wrote:

Just thought Id let ya know- steve collins and nigel Benn are the same age-so if Benn was in the twilight of his career-Collins was too...eubank was younger - if u honestly think collins wasnt in there class , after close fights with the likes of Mike Mccallum -youre boxing knowledge is very limited

I didn't know they were the same age. Even if they were, Collins was a lot younger boxing-wise. He had never been in the same kind of wars that Benn had been in, which we all know can age a fighter.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:19 am

I beg to differ brother...Reggie Johnson, Mike Mccallum, Sumbu Kalumbay ? Ya dont get much harder than that now. And aging a fighter isnt a bad thing really when you consider Bernard Hopkins .
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:38 am

Dublin winning next year's All Ireland SFC in Croker.....I predict a riot ... :p
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Big Niall » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:21 am

Now that I think of it, maybe Ireland playing England at Rugby in Croke park earlier this year, as due to the history of the stadium it was as much a political moment as a sporting one. Having Irish fans respect the English Anthem in the THAT stadium with THAT history.

The result didn't matter in comparisson. I wish I was there but tickets were impossible, I just hope the English fans that were there realised that it was more than another Ireland v England rugby match.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:37 am

Has to be rugby WC final against oz, I was here watching it at the time ............. Brilliant :D
66-1112520797

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:14 am

All those who have talked about boxing in this thread keep you eyes open for a lad from Liverpool named Derry Mathews great talent theres talk around at the moment that one day in the future he will fight Amir Kahn at the moment there different weights but you know what happens with that
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:49 pm

Just googled him Nanny red...looks promising and set to emulate Paul Hodkinson maybe. Fingers crossed for the fella anyway.
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum