Favourite non football sporting moment

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:55 pm

What is your favourite non football sporting moment - and why?

I go for Eamonn Coughlan winning the first world championships 5000m in 1983 as I was 8 years old and Ireland was such a loser country and I couldn't believe that an Irishman had beaten the best of the world (I never heard of Coe or Ovett at that stage! both of whom were better, probably injured that year)

I also got really excited watching Hagler v Hearns as I new they were too legends and the fight was huge.

A guilty admission too that Wrestlemania III in 1988 when Hulk Hogan was pitted against Andre the Giant - not really a sport but I'm including it.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:58 pm

watching england winning the 2003 rugby world cup in an australian bar.

absolutely priceless.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:13 pm

stmichael wrote:watching england winning the 2003 rugby world cup in an australian bar.

absolutely priceless.

A mate of mine was in Australia for a year and said that they are arrogant bas*ards when it comes to Rugby and don't recognise any great players from northern hemisphere. Is that right?

I'd have loved that, f*ck it, I'd have pretended I was English if I was down there (top hat, monacle, waist coat - all that stuff)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:13 pm

it will be the hatten mayweather fight december 8th. poker night round mine, loads of drink, loads of gambling, fight starts 4am... it wont get any better than that.

so far for me its numbersixvalverde winning the grand national 2006 as id lumped on it at 20s :cool:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Big Niall wrote:
stmichael wrote:watching england winning the 2003 rugby world cup in an australian bar.

absolutely priceless.

A mate of mine was in Australia for a year and said that they are arrogant bas*ards when it comes to Rugby and don't recognise any great players from northern hemisphere. Is that right?

I'd have loved that, f*ck it, I'd have pretended I was English if I was down there (top hat, monacle, waist coat - all that stuff)

they're the most arrogant nation on the face of the planet when it comes to sport full stop, not just rugby.

watched this years quarter final in the same venue and it was great aswell, basically because nobody gave us a chance of winning. the looks on the faces of the aussies was worth it's weight in gold (no pun intended)  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby burjennio » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:53 pm

Van der Velde choking down the last in the Open at Carnoustie in 99 or Ivanisivic finally winning wimbeldon against Rafter were definatelty the most dramatic non-football 1s I can remember, but my favourite ever? Holyfield knockin out Tyson, the guy is a frekkin legend :cool:
burjennio

Postby welsh wizzard » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Wales winning the rugby 6 nations Grand slam in 2005. They played some well exciting rugby during that tournement, and i was in Cardiff on the final day. What a party and the Irish were a mega good sport!!
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:35 pm

dawson99 wrote:it will be the hatten mayweather fight december 8th. poker night round mine, loads of drink, loads of gambling, fight starts 4am... it wont get any better than that.

so far for me its numbersixvalverde winning the grand national 2006 as id lumped on it at 20s :cool:

It's my birthday on December 9th, heading round to my mates to get smashed for the Hatton fight, I've already booked the Friday and Monday off work.  Going to be a debauched weekend that....
jonnymac1979

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:51 pm

dawson99 wrote:it will be the hatten mayweather fight december 8th. poker night round mine, loads of drink, loads of gambling, fight starts 4am... it wont get any better than that.

Cant wait for that fight as ill be there in Vegas to watch  :D

But so far my favourite non football moment was when Nigel Benn beat Gerald McClellen what a fight :bowdown .

McClellan was the best pound for pound fighter around at the time and no one thought Benn had a chance. The London Arena that night was heaving and when Benn went down in the first we thought :censored: hell end of . But it was just sheer strength and guts and a knockout punch  one of the best ive ever seen. it was hairs on the back of your neck stand up time .

The fight was brilliant although we did not realise the sad outcome until the morning when we found out McClellan was in a coma .

But still one of the beat fights ive been to
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 pm

:laugh: Mclellan best pound for pound -youre havin a laugh mate..he was an up and coming knock out artist that hardly had been beyond round 2.

The Hagler hearns fight that Niall mentioned- awesome-must be the greatest 4 round of boxing Ive ever seen. Ecstatic that Hagler nailed him cos Hearns was worrying me.  Big Tommy was unlucky to have been around in an era that consisted of Hagler and Leonard.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:43 pm

Mike Tyson v Evander Holyfield.

When he bit his ear off ! Couldnt stop laughing when I see that !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:11 pm

Mikz wrote: :laugh: Mclellan best pound for pound -youre havin a laugh mate..he was an up and coming knock out artist that hardly had been beyond round 2.

The Hagler hearns fight that Niall mentioned- awesome-must be the greatest 4 round of boxing Ive ever seen. Ecstatic that Hagler nailed him cos Hearns was worrying me.  Big Tommy was unlucky to have been around in an era that consisted of Hagler and Leonard.

Point taken i meant to say the hardest puncher around at the time in that particular weight Dont forget he went up a weight when he fought Benn i only mentioned that fight cause i went to see it and Benn was English and it was in 1995

I do agree with you though on on the others that you have mentioned but i never got to see any of them live. But if your talking about the best pound for pound boxer i wouldnt go for any of them three it has to be Sugar Ray Robinson
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:35 pm

Hard to pick best pound for pound ever brother. But the guy you mentioned would probably be most peoples choice eh? Wish Id been around to see him, just seen clips here and there and his skills were unreal. Randy Turpin had 2 great fights with him too.
   Other greats like carlos Monzon, jack dempsey , even Jack johnson and ali would be behind him Id agree.
  And think too roberto Duran..moving up the weights to tackle the likes of Hagler...how good was he?
:bowdown
And one more would be Julio Cesar Chavez....
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:14 am

I would have liked to have seen Rocky Marciano fight dont make them like him anymore
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:31 am

Mikz wrote:Hard to pick best pound for pound ever brother. But the guy you mentioned would probably be most peoples choice eh? Wish Id been around to see him, just seen clips here and there and his skills were unreal. Randy Turpin had 2 great fights with him too.
   Other greats like carlos Monzon, jack dempsey , even Jack johnson and ali would be behind him Id agree.
  And think too roberto Duran..moving up the weights to tackle the likes of Hagler...how good was he?
:bowdown
And one more would be Julio Cesar Chavez....

Talking about Chavez his kids doing alright have you seen him fight . very simualar style to his dad i think hes had about 33 or 34 fights unbeaten hes only a kid and has had all them fights he fights out of lightmiddle weight
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum