Geoff twentyman - An unsung hero

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby supersub » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:24 am

Sad to here the announcement today,of the death of former player Geoff Twentyman.He,perhaps won greater acclaim as Liverpool's chief scout rather than a player.Bill Shankly brought Twentyman in as chief scout in 1967 and was Shankly's eyes and ears up and down the country.He was responsible for bringing in many fine youngstersfrom the lower divisions,not least Ray Clemence,Brian Hall and Steve Heighway.In his time he probably cast an eye over virtually every player Liverpool signed during the 20 years he was at Anfield.In the summer of 1987 he was surprisingly sacked and replaced by Ron Yeats,but he was immediately re-hired by Souness at Rangers.Virtually his last recommendations to Liverpool had been to buy John Barnes and Peter Beardsley.
  Another legend from the Anfield boot-room leaves us.......
    Rest in peace Geoff Twentyman
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ROBtheRED » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:35 am

I echo the words of Supersub, Geoff Twentyman was a loyal and respected servant to the club. R.I.P.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oldredeyes » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:03 pm

Well said Supersub. Geoff was a true gentleman of sport who loved football and had a remarkable eye for talent.
God bless Geoff - and thanks!
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:37 pm

I don't know much about him, it was before my time. My old man told me about Geoff Twentyman, he was true gentleman and did it fantastic job for Shanks and club.

Thanks for everything for what you did for club.
God Bless and Rest in Peace, Geoff
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:15 pm

for fritzl
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:12 pm

Twentyman was before my time (I'm 25) but I know his work and what he has done for the club.... Thanks Geoff.. R.I.P

*Paul bows his head with respect*
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:42 am

i knew geoff im a friend of a  ex scout called jazza i was present when we signed stevie nicol from ayr united after a cold night at queen of the south, we had an early look at alan hansen, we had several looks at don hutchinson before geoff put pen to paper. jazza sent kevin beattie for a trial but nobody turned ..up at lime street to meet him. geoff was fuming. when geoff payed 100,000 for rushie it was a quick deal malcolm allison was dangling the checque book, geoff phoned the club the deal was done. rushie first three or four games were terrible, the daggers were out in the board room geoff had to explain , geoff with his shankley wisdom said give it time. the rest his history.im a good friend of his nephew who has had the privelidge to read geoffs personal note book which is full of the players which he and the scouts were watching theres some great names as you all well no. hughes keegan toshack souness  yeats lloyd clemence  and more.with out geoff things might of being difficult. r.i.p
fritzylfc

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge