Vladi misses liverpool - Wish you all best, hero!

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:19 pm

Smicer close to more European surprises Mar 1 2006

By Ian Doyle Daily Post Staff, Daily Post

AS a parting gift, it was up there with the best of them. In his final appearance for Rafael Benitez's side against AC Milan in Istanbul last May, Vladimir Smicer had stepped off the substitutes' bench to score in normal time and in the penalty shoot-out as Liverpool claimed a fifth European Cup triumph.

After six inconsistent years at the club, it etched Smicer's name into Anfield folklore. Now the 31-year-old is on the brink of contributing to the European achievement of another club as Bordeaux close in on an unlikely qualification to the Champions League.

The French side have struggled in recent years to reach the heights of their Zinedine Zidane-inspired era in which they reached the UEFA Cup final in 1996. However, since Smicer's arrival on a free transfer last summer, their fortunes have been transformed.

Currently in second place in Ligue 1 behind Gerard Houllier's Lyon, Bordeaux are in pole position to qualify for the Champions League next season - and set up a possible encounter with Smicer's former colleagues.

Such is the level of surprise at Bordeaux's form, there are parallels with Liverpool's unexpected triumph in Turkey.

"I really didn't expect it, it is a nice surprise," admits Smicer. "I didn't expect we would be so high in the league. No-one believed we could be so high, even our own fans, but as we get closer and closer their support is getting bigger and bigger. They feel the job could be done, but we are still far away from there, and there is lots of hard work to do yet.

"Even our management only gave us the objective of finishing in the top five. That was a daring plan taking into account we were fighting to avoid relegation last season."

Although Smicer has more than played his part in Bordeaux's revival, he reveals the tag of Champions League winner has been more hindrance than help.

"People know it," says the Czech. "Not many players who have won the Champions League play in the French league, but it is not an advantage, maybe the opposite, as everyone expects more from you."

Smicer joined Liverpool from Lens in 1999, and during his time at the club won the League Cup, the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup, the UEFA Super Cup as well as the European Cup. And the midfielder admits to occasionally yearning for the Anfield atmosphere - particularly now Robbie Fowler has returned.

"I miss England a bit, after six years I spent there, I got used to it," says Smicer. "I miss Anfield most-ly, the atmosphere was unique. I cannot compare it with France even if we also have great fans.

"A lot has changed at Liverpool, there are many Spaniards there now. I was also nicely surprised by the return of Robbie Fowler.

"When he played with me years ago he was one of my best friends. When he left Liverpool for Leeds and then Manchester City, we still met to go out for a meal."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:13 am

Top lad.

Not exactly a legend, but certainly a hero on the night!!!!!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:34 am

Just thinking out aloud, does Liverpool miss Vladi on the right wing?  Seems as good (or better?) as anybody we currently have (Gerrard excepted) in that position.
Last edited by TheoRacle on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:39 am

TheoRacle wrote:Just thinking out aloud, does Liverpool miss Vladi on the right wing?  Seems as good (or better?) as anybody we currently have (Gerrard excepted) in that position.

Im afraid to say, No!   He was a good pro, but for me, he was a little light weight... and the only consistant thing about him was his inconsistancy..

He either played brilliant but more often than not was ineffective. 

However I will always think well of him as he was brilliant in the Istanbul Cup Final.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby 2520years » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:08 am

100%-er with some pace and skill.  We often think of foreign players not trying as much as home grown british bulldogs, but he always tried hard - in the face of constant criticism.  He was too light-weight unfortunately, so the EPL wasn't the best place for him.

He earned my respect though and when you think about it he's not that dissimilar to Luis Garcia.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby y cymro » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:15 pm

I think we gave VS plenty of opportuities at Liverpool and fair play he signed off on a high.However, I note from reading reports into the French league that Smicer is a bit in and out of the team. He has been playing and substituted or started on the bench quite a few times. BUT Bordeaux have been the surprise team in the French League.
On the other hand apart from when he was injured for a few games Bruno Cheyrou has been a regular feature with Bordeaux and one of their best players throughout the year. (Also confirmed in an article in the Independant on players that were sold from English clubs and then went on to play well elsewhere). I don't think we gave him a decent run at Liverpool.:blues:
y cymro

Postby 78-1141594967 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:48 pm

Top Lad Defo :bowdown
78-1141594967

Postby mattys18 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:08 pm

nice fella an not a bad player, wish he was injury free wen at liverpool coz he wud av been v.good
mattys18

Postby MOODYBLUES » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:06 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Top lad.

Not exactly a legend, but certainly a hero on the night!!!!!

I LIKED SMICER HE WAS BETTER FOR HIS COUNTRY THAN HE WAS FOR US BUT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO SEE HIM GIVEN ONE MORE SEASON WE ARE SHORT OF A RIGHT SIDED MIDFIELDER AT THE MOMENT AND I THINK GIVEN THE CHANCE VLADI MIGHT HAVE COME GOOD LOOK AT HARRY KEWELL HE HAS BEEN QUALITY THE LAST FEW MONTHS
MOODYBLUES

Postby AwiLas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:58 am

Yeah.. And I heard that he gave up his no.7 to Kewell as he knew that his time is up.. Cheers..
AwiLas

Postby king-garcia » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:46 pm

i was never a huge vladi fan but his performance in istanbul is sooo memorable i wish him good luck in all his future clubs  :)
king-garcia

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:41 pm

I like Smicer.  Since he left us he's only got good things to say about us.  Even when you hear little soundbites from our players they say he was a good lad off the pitch.  He had talent, but like everyone says he was very inconsistent.  Redemption came for him though.  He'll always be a hero because of last year, even if he had you pulling your hair out for the previous six years.

I remember I was at Anfield in the front row of the Centenary that game in the Carling Cup a couple of years back when Bolton done us 2-3.  Okocha scored a beauty of a free kick, but Smicer scored a 25 yard belter that night.  We still got beat but like I say, the talent was there, it's just he never produced it enough.

Look at this.

jonnymac1979

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:15 pm

I seem to recall someone saying that after the final , Vladi went into the centre of Istanbul and partied with the fans .

Top man . :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:46 am

I liked Smicer, he loved the city and the club, like others have said he had a lot of heart and tallent but unfortunately was inconsistant :(

I hope the lad does well in the future and thanks for the memories Vlad lad :)
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby deejay-cgt » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:23 pm

top bloke hope the best 4 him. and btw 2 tat bit about vladi in centre of  Istanbul afta final with fans tat tru i try dig up the fotos if ya want he 100% top
CgT

deejay-cgt

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge