Panic on the streets of anfield! - Where's the moolah?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby spion » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:33 am

How come 'poor' Manchester United can bend the plastic to the tune of £50m, while Liverpool, with promise of money from their American sugar daddies, have to wear last season's fashion?
'We preach patience so regularly it has nearly taken on the mantle of our new club motto' With all the speculation going on across Europe, nay the globe itself, about who is going where and for how much, the spotlight seems to be shining a little bit brighter on the red side of Merseyside.

When the Hicks/Gillett team arrived at Anfield, all the talk was of money. Granted, we had debt issues and the council was in danger of pulling our planning on the new ground unless we got significant investment from somewhere. But all we wanted to know was how much was Rafa Benitez going to have to spend on new players this summer.

It is here we seem to have unearthed the biggest bone of contention. I cannot remember the Americans quoting any specific amounts, nor do I recall Rafa or Rick Parry disclosing a similar figure. Quite frankly, we have not been told, discussions have gone on and we have been assured that as far back as February, ‘the plan’ was put in place. Benitez is fully aware of it and it includes the full support of the two men from across the Atlantic. End of story. Or so we have been told.

The media, of course, have their own take on things. Hicks & Co going back on promises of funds, thus hindering our spending power and forcing Rafa to aim a little lower for prospective targets. It is reports such as these that are causing the major ripples to spread across the pond - but do they have any substance? Some will tell you there’s no smoke without fire, but is that simplifying things too much?

This is an all too easy cliché to fall back on. What riles us most is the fact that United, of whom there was so much talk this time last year of being in debt and having very little to spend, can suddenly go and spend in excess of £45m on two youngsters and Owen Hargreaves. They even have another few million to go. This purely serves to add fuel to the fire; if 'poor’ United have received substantial pocket money from their American daddies, why can’t we?

We preach patience so regularly it has nearly taken on the mantle of our new club motto. I think 17 years is patience enough. If everything is under control behind the scenes and the plan will bring us forward, then Hallelujah! It will require, dare I say it, more patience. If, on the other hand, the spin doctors have it right and all is not well, I fear for our future. Clubs behind us seem to be taking steps forward and we, for the moment, seem to be stuck in limbo just behind the front two.

There's no doubting this coming season is all important. It’s Rafa’s fourth - and his first without having won some major silverware the preceding year. Time to make those strides forward now, but with the current lack of signings I am not optimistic. Nor do we see any signs of addressing the issue. However, it is early and maybe when La Liga ends we will see some movement.

Until then, my fellow Scousers, patience.
spion

Postby Rupi » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:42 am

Hope you're right mate!

LaLiga is unfortunately the last (but not least) championship to end. Couldn't we expect some other big signings before? I begin to wonder...

With hope in my heart I'll be patient! Nothing else to do anyway :sleep

"In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." Bill Shankly
Rupi

Postby humdrum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:45 am

that is realistic - personally i dont think we will make any big name sigings  :(

time will tell though!
LFC - 1 team - 1 life
humdrum

Postby tubby » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:51 am

Hicks said something will be said this week so im still waiting on that.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:05 pm

This is a repeat of all thr threads of this week. Mr Spion specializes in such nonsense and as such, it is locked.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion