Panic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby madred » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:15 am

Kenco i have never claimed that i expect Liverpool to win the league and i do agree that we need some fresh talent (not prospects) to come in and give us what we are missing. In a earlier topic about hopes for next season i said that it would be a successful season if we were to finish third above the mancs and maybe win a cup if possible?? Im not going to say Benitez is the new Shankly, Paisley or Dalglish but the board gave us what we wanted and that was a manager who was winning things and is respected throughout european football. Some fans just believe that he will do the right things for the club and maybe some dont? Its all a matter of opinion really?
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:19 am

kenco are you even f*cking reading my posts before you quote them or what. im not saying we will ever win the league with the squad we have now just improve enough to gain regular champions league footbal and the money to spend in the areas rafa identifies as needing replacing each season.

only a manc would use that smilie (red devil)

bored
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby kenco » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:33 am

Anyone with the with the sense of a wordrobe knows we can't get much worse than last season. But if you call me a manc again you little tw*T i will find you. Drag you along to goodison and make you watch them being relegated next year.[ but i'll make you watch every game with out a blindfold]
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:35 am

It is going to be close nest year, the league I mean....I posted on another thread about how the emergence of other teams like Borough, Villa, The Geordies, Brum and the like is going to effect the top four....Arsenal are NOT going to go unbeaten next season, noone will and more ponts will be dropped, If we can win the games we should do and perform well against the top 6-8 there is no reason come May we won't be in with a shout,  I still believe WE HAVE THE PLAYERS...depth maybe an issue, I agree we could do with 2-3 fresh faces, real quality, but no major rebuild is needed, far from it.
Kirkland
Finnan
Josemi
Hyypia
Riise
Murphy
Gerrard
ONE NEW SIGNING
Kewell
Owen
Cisse

That is a very good starting 11 and the bench of Dudek, Henchoz, Hamman, Diao, Pongolle, Baros ain't too bad either
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:41 am

kenco wrote:Anyone with the with the sense of a wordrobe knows we can't get much worse than last season. But if you call me a manc again you little tw*T i will find you. Drag you along to goodison and make you watch them being relegated next year.[ but i'll make you watch every game with out a blindfold]

dont want to get into any non football related arguments so this is my last post off the subject but do you class 6'6" and 18 stone as little.

lets not get personal

(im not a body builder tho!!!)
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby barnesrush » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:51 am

the manc comment was a bit harsh just got a bit wound up
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby akumaface » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:04 am

Having high expectation is only natural to a football club like LFC. I want them to win just as bad but I think I would be satisfied if they improve on last year position meaning in the top three. Just read that Viera is confirmed leaving Arsenal for Real Madrid and that may help us. Anyway, I'm sure Rafa will get all the necessary body to have the most competitive team on the field when the season starts. So, let's just wait and see mate.:)
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:38 am

Please don't take this as a personal dig Kenco, as it is not intended in that way.

I was just wondering how long you have been a Liverpool fan and actually, if I may ask, are you lucky enough to be able to say that you were a fan during that Shankly/Paisley/Fagan or even Dalgleish
years?

The only reason I ask is a friend of mine is a 'massive' fan in his eyes, but knows little of the teams before souness took over. I often find his views and opinions differing to mine as I feel he has no real sense of the history in the club and the Liverpool way which has been so diluted in the last 10-15 years.

I've a feeling that many of the optimists on this board hold the legend v. close to them and sense that we could be back on track to living up to it again with this manager.

On a personal note....plain abuse towards anyone, be it on this board or face to face is a sign of weakness and lack of argument. Judging by the rest of your comments, you are capable of better  :)
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:40 am

I have sinned...sinned I say

Should have been Shankley, not shankly........can you ever forgive me???
Homebooby

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:12 am

no it's Shankly
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:53 am

kenco wrote:iF YOU WATCHED L.F. C. LAST YEAR THE SQAUDS NOT GOOD ENOUGH YOU ALL SAID SO AT THE END OF LAST SEASON . SO WHATS CHANGED. A NEW MANAGER, GET REAL.   :p :p

Catsmeow as a point, the squad is almost the same as last season. We need much more strength in dept, mostly in midfield and defence,which was clearly not good enough last season.I think we all agreed we needed at least four WORLD CLASS players to make us true contenders.Even rafa will struggle to make any sort of impact with this present squad.Lets not get carried away with the results of pre season games.We've been there before lets not make the same mistakes.THIS PRESENT SQUAD IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the performance that was not good enough, not the squad. That makes a big difference.

Did you also say we were not good enough as well when we collected the five trophies (okay they're not EPL or champion cup)? Have this team made some major change since then?

But if you learn from facts, there are always some exceptions. There have also been many world class players being born from a world class team, instead of a world class team being born from a collection of some world class players (typical one).

Arsenal had been built on player alikes of Martin Keown, Ljungberg, Parlour etc, would you think they were world class? Well, if you talk about some better player alikes of Pires or Henry who came earlier, our squad also have some players with approximately the same levels in Owen, Gerrard, Hyypia etc.

Another better is Greece and France, a gap between numbers of the quality players between both teams probably as far as their position in Euro2004 results. Some more examples: How many world class players are there in Porto? What about Valencia? Are there as much as in Madrid or Juventus?

I'm not saying we don't need new players, and I'm not saying that bringing in some world class player is a bad idea. I'm not saying that a team fulfilled with world class players doesn't have a better chance to win trophies. My point is: it's a naive opinion to think that many world class players in a team will guarantee you to win many trophies.

That's a valid cry for some additional world class, but that's shouldn't be meant as the ONLY reason to climb to a higher end. You've made it sounds like it's impossible to win anything without having many of them. In fact, we actually have some of them already in Owen, Gerrard, Hyypia, Cisse, and Baros, Kewell a bit  and an absolute world class manager.

You have your point in saying that we have to be realistic. But apparently you are not as that realistic.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:15 pm

I sincerely hope that Benitez is the man who finally turns this club around, but that is far from guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed in football nor in life.

However, Benitez has First Class Credentials, is young and hungry, and has winning experience in very difficult circumstances. Even if he fails, at least Parry and Moores can say that they sought out and signed one of the best managerial prospects in Europe this summer, and they cannot be faulted for that.

Benitez has a huge job before him, but it can be achieved. The current squad has its flaws and weaknesses, but it also has its strengths. We have some very good players, and also a lot of underachieving players who could really flourish under new management (e.g. Riise).

The squad is currently not good enough to win the Premiership next season, but that is not to say that it cannot drastically improve over last season.

If we do well in the Premiership next season and get a good run in the Champions League, then Benitez can build a launch pad for a proper Championship challenge for the seasons after that.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:26 pm

people should be optimistic about the forthcoming season. if houllier was still here we would have no gerrard, no baros and possibly no owen. the board made the best decision for the future of the football club. this season we expect a drastic improvement.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby thecatsmeow » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:30 pm

seems strange that at the start of this thread i was an idiot..knew nothing about football until kenco backed up my views then everyone started saying ...ohhhh i never said we would win the premiership... well we didnt win it last year so whats your points.. yup we finished fourth  playing some dire football ... so where are we going to finish ..second..third? ??? are you happy with that dont forget if we had lost two or three more games last season we could have finished 4 or 5 places lower.... we need a team capable of winning the premiership to challenge not a mid table team that got lucky last year.....this is Liverpool Fc .... doesnt that mean anything to any of you ... we should be demanding the best team in England not settling for 2nd 3rd .....this team is not good enough
thecatsmeow

Postby barnesrush » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:44 pm

no one wants to settle for 2nd 3rd in the long run but just see it as a step up from last year which will hopefully be improved upon the next season aswell. success takes time to acheive
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion