Don't panic...but - Investment required

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby solo si » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:11 pm

The morning after the day before and I think I've come to terms with what I watched on Sky yesterday. I posted a couple of topics about the future of our great club only a few weeks ago regarding this matter. I emphase it again!

Chelsea have set the new high standards in the EPL and there's no doubt about that. If we are going to try and compete with those new standards, we need the finances in place to buy top quality players who will play the Liverpool way and make the difference between what we are now, which is a top four team (not based on current may I add) and a title contending team. I think we have a core of good players with Reina,Carra,Gerrard,alonso etc, but we all saw how poor Traore and Garcia were yesterday. Traore should have been replaced at half time along with Garcia. Bring on Warnock and Cisse and get some quality service through the midfielders and onto the forwards.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing as I'm sure that you will all agree, but Garcia is not built for the high tempo, physical games like we saw against Man Utd and most recently Chelsea.

Back to my main point: Investment. Like it or not we need a large input of cash to compete with the bset in England and Europe. I would love to see the youth players coming through the ranks and playing exciting and skillful football. However, we could be waiting years for the likes of Jack Hobbs and co to be playing at the top level. I think what Chelsea have is bad for the game in general, but what can LFC and Co do about it? Accept playing second fiddle to Jose and Romans lot year in year out? We are Liverpool Football Club and we have a great history and wonderful traditions. However, the simple cold and hard fact remains...we are not good enough. Now, if Rafa is content with our situation, which I know he isn't, well so be it! The board need to look at the long term big picture and realise that this current situation will slowly get worse.

Last season we finished 37 pts behind them in fifth place, and if based on our current league form, I see it being 40+ pts and outside the top four.

Man Utd have a 67000 seater stadium which is being increased to 75000, and at present they make £1m more that we do, for every home game. That is roughly about 30 - 40 home games per season and you can do the maths. That's every season! We need a new stadium which has all gone very quiet and we need some major investment for Rafa to build a team that doesn't lose 1-4 at home. I know it's not all down to money I here you say, but it makes a massive difference, when you have a squad of talented players to call up on at any time.

You may argue the fact the Charlton and Man City are right up there near the top and they haven't had much investment. I agree and what testiment it is to those smaller teams battling it out near the top. Where will they be at the end of the season though. Probably at very best top 6 and that is a great achievement, but we all know which teams are going to be in the top three don't we?

We need to move forward, not just as a team but as a club, and with that brings new challenges and a new way of thinking. Without those changes and I mean the right changes, being sound investors, with a long term business plan and  outlook, we will all have accept that competing for the EPL at the very least is going to be very difficult. Man Utd and Arsenal must be thinking the same, but I don't care about them, but yesterday was a wake up call, for everyone connected to LFC in some way.

I hope we all act accordingly and realise that without the finances in place, the manager and the top class players that we currently have at LFC, may not be around to make a difference.

Your thoughts!
solo si

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:20 pm

Good post...

I agree with everything you have said.. It is a sad fact that football is now more of a business than a sport.  Money is everything.

We need to buy a left mid, a right mid, a CB and a striker.  To buy players for all these positions that are better than what we have you are talking about 40 million quid. (maybe more if you want Joaquim) Quite simply, we aint got it!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby solo si » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:57 pm

ola mr Benitez,

Andy Townsend made a valid point today for a change, and said that everyone must stop moaning about how good Chelsea are etc and how unfair it is that they have Romans money to buy great players. He said that it was up to the other clubs to find investment and compete with Chelsea, as it's not Chelsea fault.

Unfortunately, it is a fact of life and as I posted earlier, we either lay down and die or get our great club back to where it belongs. Investment required...I'm afraid!
solo si

Postby rafazredz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:00 pm

solo si wrote:ola mr Benitez,

Andy Townsend made a valid point today for a change, and said that everyone must stop moaning about how good Chelsea are etc and how unfair it is that they have Romans money to buy great players. He said that it was up to the other clubs to find investment and compete with Chelsea, as it's not Chelsea fault.

Unfortunately, it is a fact of life and as I posted earlier, we either lay down and die or get our great club back to where it belongs. Investment required...I'm afraid!

what about that thai prmie minister werent he meant of wanted to come in with some money
rafazredz

Postby solo si » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:15 pm

The Thai Prime Minister was not a very nice man by all accounts according to the Human Rights people and he was being investigated for other dodgy dealings.

We obviously need sound investment and by that I mean legal and above board. I believe Steve Morgan would have the clubs best interests at heart, but when he offered to buy out David Moores, he was only going to give less than what the shares were actually worth, hence no deal.

We don't need to rush into a Glazier/Man Utd scenario, but Rafa needs to know how much he can spend and if that will improve the team enough to compete with the best.

Does anybody know what is happening with the proposed new stadium? As mentioned earlier, a larger Stadium generates a larger income.

What I find frustrating is the lack of feedback from Rick Parry and the board regarding the clubs future. I know there is no magic wand to make everything perfect, but I am sure we would all like to know what will be happening to the issues raised above.
solo si

Postby JohnBull » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:22 pm

There's some big tarts on this forum !!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby solo si » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:23 pm

JohnBull,

What's the Big tarts comment all about?
solo si

Postby red37 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:02 pm

as sad as it sounds... we probably will 'flog the silver' in order to compete.. your heart cant always win your 'head' and it would BE a dark day..
but
the world will go on, albeit 'cheapened'

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion