Panic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby whylongball? » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:23 pm

you never know that given 1 more quality signing(right wing) we would finish 1st in May! And i think without being over optimistic the current team is very strong playing Benitez's tactic that is tight defence fast attack.
whylongball?

Postby kenco » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:04 pm

Homebooby wrote:Please don't take this as a personal dig Kenco, as it is not intended in that way.

I was just wondering how long you have been a Liverpool fan and actually, if I may ask, are you lucky enough to be able to say that you were a fan during that Shankly/Paisley/Fagan or even Dalgleish
years?

The only reason I ask is a friend of mine is a 'massive' fan in his eyes, but knows little of the teams before souness took over. I often find his views and opinions differing to mine as I feel he has no real sense of the history in the club and the Liverpool way which has been so diluted in the last 10-15 years.

I've a feeling that many of the optimists on this board hold the legend v. close to them and sense that we could be back on track to living up to it again with this manager.

On a personal note....plain abuse towards anyone, be it on this board or face to face is a sign of weakness and lack of argument. Judging by the rest of your comments, you are capable of better  :)

I've been watching Liverpool F. C. since i was five years old in 1957. I've seen them in the second division, win league title after league title, dominate europe,been through the highs and the lows. But one thing that has never waviered is my total and utter dedication to the team i love.And if i seem critical it's because i know what i'am talking about.so why don't you do the right thing and give me an apology.     :(
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:33 am

****** ell kenny, 47 lad?

Gettin on a bit there aren't way... i'll get yer a zimmer.

Only messin lar, am bored... got nothin interestin to say... for once :cool:
115-1073096938

Postby begintoend » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:57 am

stu_the_red wrote:****** ell kenny, 47 lad?

Gettin on a bit there aren't way... i'll get yer a zimmer.

Only messin lar, am bored... got nothin interestin to say... for once :cool:

When did you get the "lar" word in your vocab?
Do you use that in Britain? Tell me lah! :p
:Oo:
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:11 am

We are way behind the top 3 in performance last season. The gap is huge.

To improve we gotta aim at being the best and play like we are championship material. The players cannot have the mentaility that as long as the club gets 3rd = its an improvement.

That's WRONG! The players and us fans, needs to support them in achieving what has been missing. The winning mentality. We need to set a target that's possible for them yet not as easy(getting 3rd). That's to win the league! We could have been 3rd last season if the guys played better on some games that we should never lose.

Arsenal was unbeaten in the league last year. No one could see that initially. But those players believe they can do it. They tried and they did. It was immense pressure to keep that record. We should have those spirit.

Arsenal will be beaten next season. By Liverpool! We will beat those top 3 to the top of the table. It doesn't matter who the manager selects to play. The selected ones must show that every match is a possibility to win. It is always best to win.

I hope that some can understand where I am coming from.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:12 am

t's the performance that was not good enough, not the squad. That makes a big difference.

Did you also say we were not good enough as well when we collected the five trophies (okay they're not EPL or champion cup)? Have this team made some major change since then?

But if you learn from facts, there are always some exceptions. There have also been many world class players being born from a world class team, instead of a world class team being born from a collection of some world class players (typical one).

Arsenal had been built on player alikes of Martin Keown, Ljungberg, Parlour etc, would you think they were world class? Well, if you talk about some better player alikes of Pires or Henry who came earlier, our squad also have some players with approximately the same levels in Owen, Gerrard, Hyypia etc.

Another better is Greece and France, a gap between numbers of the quality players between both teams probably as far as their position in Euro2004 results. Some more examples: How many world class players are there in Porto? What about Valencia? Are there as much as in Madrid or Juventus?

I'm not saying we don't need new players, and I'm not saying that bringing in some world class player is a bad idea. I'm not saying that a team fulfilled with world class players doesn't have a better chance to win trophies. My point is: it's a naive opinion to think that many world class players in a team will guarantee you to win many trophies.

That's a valid cry for some additional world class, but that's shouldn't be meant as the ONLY reason to climb to a higher end. You've made it sounds like it's impossible to win anything without having many of them. In fact, we actually have some of them already in Owen, Gerrard, Hyypia, Cisse, and Baros, Kewell a bit  and an absolute world class manager.

You have your point in saying that we have to be realistic. But apparently you are not as that realistic.

Agree totally. Well said.
115-1073096938

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion