Stay where you are cisse! - We've got baros.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:28 pm

IMO Owen will never again be the player he was as losing that yard or 2 of pace has hit him harder that most people realise.

He was an awesome player,never received the service he needed and yet still scored goals for fun.

I still believe now with the right service he can score 30+ goals a season no problem but has had to try and adapt his game due to his injuries.

He has improved his build up play and strength but has wasted his time trying to improve his left foot.

By building up his strength this has also slowed him down but yet is still a deadly finisher and he will always do his best work in the box.

Baros on the other hand has pace to burn and frightens the life out of defenders by running at them like Owen used to do.

Hey stu it is madness to say this guy will never be a class player as he has been for awhile now but was just never given a proper chance under houllier to show what he is capable of.

His international record speaks for itself and now in the euros everyone can see that even in a team as talented as the czechs he stands out a mile.

His goal v holland was 1 of the sweetest strikes you will ever see and has shown what a talent he is when he plays in a team that plays football the way it should be played.

As for Cisse he has all the physical attributes required just like heskey did but having watched Cisse a few times he can be all the things heskey wasn't.

Benitez has many times in home games with Valencia played 2 up front with usually aimar just behind.

I would love to see Benitez play the 3 of them up front in that formation at home to the weaker teams who put 10 men behind the ball as this is where we have struggled for so long and many times have failed trying to break them down.

The best form of defence is attack as the Czechs have shown to such good effect.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:20 pm

i think owen can still be a top class striker if he just gets his confidence in front of goal back. last season he got into so many scoring positions and his finishing let him down. if he was more confident, he could've scored 25-30 goals last seaon.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:39 am

i think owen can still be a top class striker if he just gets his confidence in front of goal back. last season he got into so many scoring positions and his finishing let him down. if he was more confident, he could've scored 25-30 goals last seaon.

Now that i agree with.
115-1073096938

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:42 am

Hi Stu , As you well know I go to matches too and there's not a lot I disagree with in your evaluation and comparison of Owen and Baros.

What troubled me last season was the supply line to Owen. Great that Gerard's staying but unless Kewell suddendly finds his form and we buy a top quality right midfielder you have to wonder where the assists are going to come from . NO goals from set pieces whatsoever last season (unless you count penalties which we missed half !!!!) Very few goals from corners (Only one I remember was Hyppia's against Wolves in the last minute)

Hopefully Benitez will have them defending further up the pitch cos we looked so deep last season we invited teams onto us particularly after we went 1 goal up (Remind you of any team you have watched recently ?) 

Owen's still class I agree but in Baros and now Cisse we have further goalscorers but need a more creative midfield 4 IMO

Walk on ....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:29 am

barnesrush wrote:Owen is the better player by a country mile.

Not many people will deny that Owen is a better player than Baros. But if you look at the comparison of their recent performances in Euro, you will agree that Baros has proven more than Owen, albeit too early to say Baros is an absolute better player than owen.

There is a great chance for Baros to reproduce and maintain his impressive moments in Liverpool as well as a lesser chance for Owen to get into a slump again sometimes, somewhere.

We have seen Baros records in international stage, which is outstanding. The only significant reason of why he is more productive when playing for his country than for Liverpool is so far due to faith given by his country which he didn't get from Houllier. I think that would be the key: give him more opportunities to show up, and he'll respond in the same way with what he's done for his country. I firmly believe.

As for Owen, people always look up to his scoring records, but the question is when this records being written? As i said in my previous post. He needs to keep his skills enhanced. His goal-creating approach (he needs a wide space to create goal) has already been well-recognized by many defenders.

We need to be more careful in assessing which player of both deserves to be in the main line-up. I personally think the issues are not as simple as which one of them is a better player before the season gets underway. However, any idea remains valid.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:58 pm

I cut that quote from Stu so those werent my words
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby blind » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:14 pm

stmichael wrote:owen is a better player than baros, anyone can see that. baros' directness makes him look good but his all round game is not a patch on mikey. like stu the red said, owen has had diabolical service for liverpool in the last two seasons and still scored over 40 goals. he will be our top scorer again next season, put your money on it.

Baros may be more direct but Mikey is getting a bit predictable, Ok alot of that is down to service but the same can be said of Baros.

I would not be as disapointed to see MO leave as i would have been SG as SG is a much more integral part of the team.

Micheal will find it more difficult to get his customary starting spot as i think Bennie will want to try Baros as a partner for Cisse as well as Owen so we could see less of Owen than we may expect.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:07 pm

Anyone disagree with the following

Owen is a class player
Owen is injury prone
Owen will never have the pace he once had
Owen's all round game is better that it used to be
Owen has established himself in the premiership
Opposition teams now have a better idea of how to mark him.

Baros scores goals for fun when given the chance
Baros needs to improve his all round game

Cisse has some great form in the French league
Cisse has to prove he can do it in the premiership

Sorry guys but I think all three have something to prove. I think we need the three of them to compete for two places. Pongolle, Mellor etc will only have a chance if injuries come.

We need all three but we shouldn't buy a fourth top class striker, it would be a waste of money, cause to much cribbing by "stars" and the front two must be used to playing with each other.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:30 pm

The forward line is covered with  the arrival of Cisse
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Jelly » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:25 pm

But look at our attack now..
Cissé-Owen-Baros-Pongolle-(heskey *cough*)
Sell Heskey...!
Jelly

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:36 pm

???

Heskey's a Birmingham player...

Or am i missing something?
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:39 pm

No he's gone alright.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion