Current squad - Good enough to win title?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jkop » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:14 pm

ckay wrote:I disagree. Our squad is good enough to challenge for the title but they just aren't performing to there ability. If we can hit some sort of form we'll be up there, unfortunatly, it's to late this season and 4 is about as good as we can expect now. :(

I agree with what you have posted we need to hit the away form and we are sorted, we are winning as you know at home its just away thats the problem.
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HOMER » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:26 pm

we have a massive squad with a lot of decent players - but the fact of the matter is that the players that we have are just not good enough to play against the top teams. we're buying a lot of squad players for 5m ish, and this is where the problem lies, we're not strengthening the first 11.
e.g pennant+aurellio+bellamy+gonzalez = 20m = lennon or swp or king(15m) or deco - you get the point.

another problem we have is central midfield. benitez - first choice alonso and sissoko before injury
alonso - defensive midfielder
sissoko - ball winning midfielder
no goals no creativity - whats the point of winning the ball if youre too deep(alonso) or have no creativty(sissoko) to do anything with the ball?
one HAS to have creative ability/scores goals further forward to have any chance of challenging for the title .i.e lamplard, ballock, scholes, fabregas.

here's a thought lets play a goalscoring, creative, powerfull, pacy midielder in the centre - wonder where we're goin to find one of them? !!!!!!!!!!!
HOMER

Postby red37 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:36 pm

ckay wrote:Our squad is good enough to challenge for the title but they just aren't performing to there ability.
Last edited by red37 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:39 pm

I think the squad is good enough, only problem is NON of our players are on form, even the reliable Steven Gerrard is having a bad patch, fingers crossed they hit form soon and get an away win which will spark something I think.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Houllier=LFC » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:57 pm

The problem is we do not have players that can dribble.
We still have Kewell to do that last season, now we have none.
Gonzalez is still too raw, Pennant doesnt cut it.
And its not just the 2 wingers, we need overlapping left and right backs who have pace and possess basic dribbling skills.
Finnan isnt himself for too long i wonder if it is because theres no competition for his position. And Riise gets too predictable sometimes.
Houllier=LFC

Postby puroresu » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:44 pm

s@int wrote:
When we're playing away in the premiership we get closed down and pressured on our own half(especially against the top teams) This doesnt leave any room for the defenders to pass the ball around and build an attack with 20 passes like we like to do, first between the great Finn and Carragher, Riise and Finnan and then through Alonso. Of course there IS room for it, but to be able to pass it around back there with Henry chasing you, you have to be confident and have the technical ability to pass it and recieve it. Let's face it, neither of our back four has the technical ability to play ball under pressure. Agger does though, and I hope he will make the place his soon. Just to make sure everybody gets my point: We get closed down on our own half and we cant handle it, we dont have the technical attributes to cope with it in the back four, and the consequence is LONG BALLS, and up there we usually have Crouch getting battled off the ball because he doesnt have the strenght to be a target man(height yes, but doesnt seem to help him much when he gets wrestled away).

One of the best points made on here all week.

Thats the problem with having defenders who can only defend.  The modern game requires more than that.  It requires defenders to not think row z whenever a opposing player comes within 5 yards of them.  I aint expecting a Marquez but players who have good technique.  i.e. a good first touch and the ability to find another player with a pass within 10 - 20 yards.

I dont think the squad is strong enough.  We still do not have a Mcmanaman type of player who can run at the players through the middle opening the heart of defences.
puroresu

Postby weringo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:35 pm

I think our main weakness is in midfield, our best midfield is Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Kewell, but when one of them gets injured we dont have anyone good enough to come in. Gonzales needs to improve a lot but I cant ever see him as a first team player. Pennant and Zenden simply arent good enough and I think will be the first shipped out whenever possible.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion