Liverpool football club - Is it to big for some players?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:23 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Got to say I don't see much merit in speculating on the futures of Bellamy, Pennant and Aurelio based on past signings.

If I remember rightly, a lot of people on here were positively howling for some Premiership-based players to be signed (admittedly, more last summer than this). "They'll settle quicker, and they are proven in England", the chants went.

Well what did Rafa do? He went out and signed Crouch. He took ages to score, but wasn't playing badly.

This summer, he nipped out and bought Pennant and Bellamy. Two outstanding performers from last season.

Bellamy too has struggled to score, but his all-round play has been very good. Much better than Crouch's first few games.

Pennant has been excellent, in all honesty. He's another who hasn't scored, but that was never part of his game.

Once he's more in-sync with the strikers, and knows where they want to crosses, he'll be a heck of a player for us.
You can see just how much Rafa rates him if you re-watch the Sh*tski game. EVERYTHING was being passed out to him. Everything.

Aurelio oozes class, and although he's been a little hesitant due to the nature of the Premiership and it's sh*thouse bully-boys, he's learning.

I think people need to sit back and give the players time.

Surely they deserve that?

Good post Lando which apart from the  Jermaine Pennant part I agree with.

For me Pennant is just not good enough at the moment, he's a player that is happy to get his cross in whether there is anyone in the box or not. He puts nothing on his crosses, is a poor passer, has shown no footballing brain at all, and has a huge learning curve if we are to persevere with him.
        I can now see why he made more crosses than anyone yet Birmingham couldnt score goals. The only real plus I have seen from Pennant is his work rate, I didnt expect him to track back and work as hard as he has. Maybe Rafa can work his magic on Pennant and he becomes the player we all hoped he would be, I hope so and agree we should give him time.
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:26 am

Sorry guys the draw where my keyboards on springs back in everytime I type thats why loads of typo errors.
I didnt just mean the likes of Bellamy, Pennant etc, I meant a lot of players over the years that have failed here because this clubs to big for them.
Is there to much pressure on certain players when they sign for us and they are scared of failure therefore it effects their game.
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:45 am

in malaysia, an idiot named shebby with his partner are constantly bitching about sissoko, crouch and kuyt, saying tha they are wont make it in EPL and they are sub par players :angry: cant believ they can say that while coruch and sissoko to me are valuable assets and kuyt just came to england.
onizukaeikichi

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:53 am

onizukaeikichi wrote:in malaysia, an idiot named shebby with his partner are constantly bitching about sissoko, crouch and kuyt, saying tha they are wont make it in EPL

Did they happen to be the commentators on Sky last night? who where these anti-Liverpool muppets, they didnt have a good word to say about us, and kept harping on that Newcastle should have had 3 pens.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:11 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Got to say I don't see much merit in speculating on the futures of Bellamy, Pennant and Aurelio based on past signings.

If I remember rightly, a lot of people on here were positively howling for some Premiership-based players to be signed (admittedly, more last summer than this). "They'll settle quicker, and they are proven in England", the chants went.

Well what did Rafa do? He went out and signed Crouch. He took ages to score, but wasn't playing badly.

This summer, he nipped out and bought Pennant and Bellamy. Two outstanding performers from last season.

Bellamy too has struggled to score, but his all-round play has been very good. Much better than Crouch's first few games.

Pennant has been excellent, in all honesty. He's another who hasn't scored, but that was never part of his game.

Once he's more in-sync with the strikers, and knows where they want to crosses, he'll be a heck of a player for us.
You can see just how much Rafa rates him if you re-watch the Sh*tski game. EVERYTHING was being passed out to him. Everything.

Aurelio oozes class, and although he's been a little hesitant due to the nature of the Premiership and it's sh*thouse bully-boys, he's learning.

I think people need to sit back and give the players time.

Surely they deserve that?

I agree totally with what you say lando. These players need time to aquaint themselves with how the team works and how other players think.
At the moment Bellamy is trying to hard, once he gets one goal his nerves will settle and then he can become a prolific goalscorer for us IMO.
Pennent will also be a good asset for the club, we have been crying out for a winger at liverpool for a long time and i think he can do the job well.
Aurelio will also settle down once he adjusts to the pace of the EPL, and sooner rather than later one of his freekicks go screaming into the back of the net. Bring it on.
:nod
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby onizukaeikichi » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:14 am

Ciggy wrote:
onizukaeikichi wrote:in malaysia, an idiot named shebby with his partner are constantly bitching about sissoko, crouch and kuyt, saying tha they are wont make it in EPL

Did they happen to be the commentators on Sky last night? who where these anti-Liverpool muppets, they didnt have a good word to say about us, and kept harping on that Newcastle should have had 3 pens.

nop its epsn here from singapore, guess every part of the world there's :censored: working as pundits.
onizukaeikichi

Postby redhayesy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:46 pm

hi ciggy,good post i agree with alot you said,especially the bit about nunez & josemi, but the new signings apart from Aurelio have made good starts IMO though the player who i am glad to see the back of is Morientes! he  IMO was as bad as biscan,& cheyrou he couldn"t handle the physical side of the english game. and went hiding, he was non-exsistant in every game he played in what a flop! & that is why he is doing well back in spain cause he doesn"t get rough treatment from defenders out there & the standards are lower. so i agree with you that some players who come to LFC are not up to our very high standards and need to be shown the door very quickly ie- spot on rafa for getting shot of kromkamp as quick as he could -another flop who was out of his depth!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:49 pm

that is why he is doing well back in spain cause he doesn"t get rough treatment from defenders out there & the standards are lower

This must be repeated every day in the English radio right? How come english clubs don't win the CL every year then? ???
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:53 pm

The standards of course aren't lower, La liga is probably the strongest in the world. The requirements of a striker however are different, and what was required over here Morientes clearly didn't have. I must confess I am pleasantly surprised that he has gone back to Spain and been more successfull than he was here, I was of the opinion that he was a player who was very much past his best by the time he left Liverpool. He really was very very poor in a red shirt in almost every game he played.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:17 pm

redhayesy wrote:i am glad to see the back of is Morientes!

But he was at Real Madrid thats one of the worlds biggest club, so I would'nt class Morientes as not being able to hack it at LFC.
Im talking about players, that cant cut it here, we are one of the big 4 so we are a lot more in the media and everything comes under scrutiny, and then players get slated, when they fail to live up to reputation.

Or maybe some of them where not good enough for us in the first place but Morientes does not fall into this catagory as class is permanent proof of this he is in his eliment at Valencia now.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby naza » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:40 pm

no disrespect to anyone who has written a comment on this page but i have just read some real slava whilst catching up on the convorsation! most of the dim witted talk came from ciggy so called "elite member" i believe only supports of the club should be given that status! i must agree he was right about zenden but i have stressed that zenden is a faliure at least twice! but the fact cig had the nerve to abuse are new signigs made my phsicaly sick! so far i have been really impressed with this seasons signings! maybe rafa made a few wrong calls but come on anyone who brings alonso and sissoko and agger to a club needs not to justify any of his decisions! but i think the comment he made about he was sure (99% sure) that gerrard would leave mayde me recall an article my good friend sid lowe wrote! it included a quote from gerrard relaying to us his delight at playing on the right for england and not minding sacrafising his personal intrests for the sake of the team! now sorry to anyone who sees this as spamming but i couldnt hold back!
naza

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:43 pm

my good friend sid lowe wrote

Is he your friend? he has become fairly popular in Spain this summer commenting England games and some other games too. His Spanish is brilliant for english standards (if you compare with Toshack, Robinson, Robson) he has very good sense of humour and everything he said about LFC was with the due respect!

Ciggy is a girl, and she loves LFC a lot mate, it's just that sometimes she's too passionate. But we all have mistakes :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion